Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

On 3/24/2024 at 12:32 AM, Mr.UFO said:

It just seems to me that McCarthy is going to be taken too high. Why did he suddenly go from the low 20s on draft boards to being a top 5 guy for no apparent reason? It is due to teams being desperate for quarterbacks?

In fairness, we were hearing the same rumblings about Will Levis this time last year.  I'm higher on McCarthy as a prospect than I was on Levis, but I genuinely feel like some "rumors" are started by plants in the media (they don't have to reveal their source - and they can probably cover their butts anyway by claiming to be aggregating and the root of the source is some mail room intern with the network) just to drum up more controversy and thus ratings.

The DMV is an extremely healthy media market - what's going to drive more eyes to engage with nearly every report to drop, daily new show, or industry mock draft:  Telling people what they want to hear but still only speculatively?  Or hinting that something they hadn't considered an option and invoking literal panic mode because of who they'd be passing on for whom?  Granted, Duval isn't the media market that the DMV is, but this is kind of an inflated version of what it would have been like if in 2022 a report had started to circulate that the Jags preferred Mac Jones over Trevor Lawrence.

• Like 4

I'm really interested to see what happens to Bo Nix and Michael Penix. I think if the Vikings can't get one of the top QBs, they might use their second Round 1 pick on Nix. Penix going to the Raiders, Saints, or Giants in Round 2 are good possibilities.

31 minutes ago, Mr.UFO said:

I'm really interested to see what happens to Bo Nix and Michael Penix. I think if the Vikings can't get one of the top QBs, they might use their second Round 1 pick on Nix. Penix going to the Raiders, Saints, or Giants in Round 2 are good possibilities.

Curious if those teams could consider trading back into the bottom of round 1 for Nix or Penix to get the 5th year option?

1 hour ago, nicfre2011 said:

Curious if those teams could consider trading back into the bottom of round 1 for Nix or Penix to get the 5th year option?

That has happened what one time in its history with Lamar? With the changes to the option a few years ago, it isn’t as cost efficient anymore. The 5th year option for a QB this year is $26M, if they made one pro bowl it’s $34M, $38M for multiple pro bowls. The franchise tag is $38M in a dire situation. I just don’t see teams trading up for that reason. It’s no longer a huge benefit at QB.

51 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

4.35 forty for Nabers

I don’t remember who it was, but someone was talking some nonsense about Nabers not being fast, and I was wondering what Nabers were they watching.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Jayden Daniels didn't run here or at the combine, which leads me to believe this weight of his is inflated and not his natural playing weight.

210 pounds with 19 pounds of water weight, baby

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Forge said:
5 hours ago, Danger said:

Jayden Daniels didn't run here or at the combine, which leads me to believe this weight of his is inflated and not his natural playing weight.

210 pounds with 19 pounds of water weight, baby

Im going " Cool Hand Luke" and 50 hard boiled eggs 

16 hours ago, Danger said:

He was listed at 6'4", 210 on the LSU website and he measured in at 6'3" and some change at 210.  We need to stop making projections without anything to back it up.

I think the difference between you trying to over inflate your weight and you trying your absolute best to be as light as possible, can be quite large. I also think the weight difference between someone trying to look low and their walking around weight, can be semi significant too. 

But the weight between you trying to over inflate your weight and your normal walking around weight, probably aren’t all that different. These guys are presumably well hydrated and fed during the season and prior to games, I doubt there’s all that much room to make it up with water retention. It’s not like the dude looks significantly heavier or more muscled than he did before.