Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Is that "analyst" Chris Simms?

It was on the radio, and I got in halfway through the interview. And my mind wondered after that, so I didn't catch his name.

Johnny On the Spot of PHNX Sports says it would be a mistake for the Cardinals to trade down from #4 and pass on Marvin Harrison. That may be true, but the Cards making mistakes is nothing new. They have been making mistakes since around 1950.

Edited by Mr.UFO

3 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Well they did exactly that with Paris Johnson last year.

This was such an insane video to watch. The way they talk about draft picks and the amount of pressure on the analytics guys to evaluate all of this stuff in real-time (sure they're using programs to do it but still) is just insane.

And all of that for Paris Johnson Jr. lol

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

This was such an insane video to watch. The way they talk about draft picks and the amount of pressure on the analytics guys to evaluate all of this stuff in real-time (sure they're using programs to do it but still) is just insane.

So the Houston deal I'd say is something that's worked out hypothetically pre-draft. That's part of their job.

But yeah, at the same time, doing proposals in real time after you traded down is hectic.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

You mean GMs don't really make dramatic Devil's advocate pitches to other GMs during the Draft like in the movie "Draft Day"? 😁

Watching Ossenfort making draft decisions is interesting. It's kind of like a quarterback reading a defense and calling audibles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'd venture a guess that these are all iterations all discussed prior to the draft.  And I'd guess that the Houston/Arizona deal was discussed prior to the draft.

5 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Feeling more and more like Brian Thomas Jr is a top-11 lock.

I'm skeptical he goes that high unless there is a LOT of picks shifting hands.  Obviously, QBs are most likely going 1-3.  Odds are Arizona moves out of 4 for a QB, otherwise the Chargers will.  I could see the Chargers moving out of their spot though, so the Cardinals could move down from 4 but back up to 5 to get Marvin Harrison Jr.  Giants at 6 likely go WR2.  Titans could go WR, but seem more likely go OT.  Atlanta probably goes defense, but probably willing to trade down.  Think the Bears end up moving out of the 9th spot, but go defense ultimately.  Anyone wanting to jump the Jets probably can get the 9th pick.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mr.UFO said:

You mean GMs don't really make dramatic Devil's advocate pitches to other GMs during the Draft like in the movie "Draft Day"? 😁

Watching Ossenfort making draft decisions is interesting. It's kind of like a quarterback reading a defense and calling audibles.

They can.  Dennis Green remembers at least 2 times where he got a call for a deal while they were on the clock :D

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'm skeptical he goes that high unless there is a LOT of picks shifting hands.  Obviously, QBs are most likely going 1-3.  Odds are Arizona moves out of 4 for a QB, otherwise the Chargers will.  I could see the Chargers moving out of their spot though, so the Cardinals could move down from 4 but back up to 5 to get Marvin Harrison Jr.  Giants at 6 likely go WR2.  Titans could go WR, but seem more likely go OT.  Atlanta probably goes defense, but probably willing to trade down.  Think the Bears end up moving out of the 9th spot, but go defense ultimately.  Anyone wanting to jump the Jets probably can get the 9th pick.

As a Steeler fan, I would be very excited for as many WR to be selected before the Steelers pick so as to increase the amount of OTs that will fall.

While I like Thomas, I am not sure I would take him even at pick 20

Edited by jebrick

5 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

As much as teams will be moving up for the QB's, I can see smaller moves for the big three wide receivers too. 

On top of that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bills move up for a WR like Adonai Mitchell or Brian Thomas.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

On top of that, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Bills move up for a WR like Adonai Mitchell or Brian Thomas.

I would be surprised if they didn't, to be honest. I think a trade up to 16 with the Seahawks, to jump the Jaguars at 17, makes a lot of sense. It would most likely take 28, 60, and a little extra to get there, but it'd be worth it for them IMO.

A few other draft musings I've had that are more gut feelings than based on real concrete facts:

The Cowboys are going to have Amarius Mims fall into their laps at 24 and he's going to be like a 5x all-pro at LT just like Tyron Smith. I'm preemptively mad about it.

I was sure that we wouldn't see a top-5 QB trade until draft day, and maybe it is just the buzz from top-30 visits and pro days that has me thinking this, but I'm starting to think maybe I was wrong and we see one very soon. I'm talking 'soon' as in the next couple of days. We know the Cardinals are open for business. If you like Maye, Daniels, and McCarthy, and you are the Vikings/Giants/Broncos/Raiders, why wouldn't you just get that done now? The price would be slightly cheaper for the team coming up, and the benefit to the Cardinals is now that they get to work out trade details early with the Chargers to inevitably jump back up to 5 to get MHJr (the Monti special). I think it is probably true that none of those 4 teams have the same QB rankings on their board, but you're telling me none of them have those 3 QBs I mentioned stacked together in the same tier? If a trade up with the Cardinals doesn't happen soon, I'll start thinking that the Patriots may be wanting to get out of 3 if their 2nd ranked QB isn't there (no idea who it actually is).

Teams most likely to trade up: Vikings, Bills, Eagles

Teams most likely to trade back: Cardinals, Chargers, Bears (9), Ravens

Guys most likely to be drafted higher than expected: JJ McCarthy, Quinyon Mitchell, Brian Thomas Jr

Guys most likely to fall further than expected: Olu Fashanu, Laiatu Latu

• Like 2

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

As much as teams will be moving up for the QB's, I can see smaller moves for the big three wide receivers too. 

Agreed. There's a clear big 3 and the drop off is pretty significant after that. I think a lot of people casually will be surprised how few receivers come off day 1. Day 2 is going to be a WR every third pick practically though.

Eh, I will be absolutely shocked if at least 5 receivers aren't gone by the early 20s.

Mitchell and Thomas are very, very good prospects.  Tall, productive, insanely athletic, and both have very reliable hands.  Mitchell is a crisp route runner, and Thomas has a fantastic catch radius, with some very impressive bailout catches in his tape.

Maybe no more go in the first after those five, because the class is deep after all, and I could see lots of teams saying nah, I can wait for a while, but I would bet my entire savings account five guys go in the first.