Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

KIper has him at 47 in his final mock draft. 

Bill williamson said on his pod that he's hearing medical flags (possible concussions) 

Neither of these things would surprise me.

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

KIper has him at 47 in his final mock draft. 

Bill williamson said on his pod that he's hearing medical flags (possible concussions) 

Sort of related, Jeremiah made the point on his podcast that people aren’t paying enough attention to which positions attracted the most free agency money. Those will be the same positions teams will be spending their high end draft capital on. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Sort of related, Jeremiah made the point on his podcast that people aren’t paying enough attention to which positions attracted the most free agency money. Those will be the same positions teams will be spending their high end draft capital on. 

Counterpoint: I forget who (may have been PFF) but they thought the FA spending was more specific player driven than position driven. If the best players in FA are IOL and IDL, better to spend on them than overpaying WR2/3s and fringe OTs. That said, you are correct that as the market for various positions increases, so does the surplus value of that position in the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Does that mean Newton and Murphy go higher than we think?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Counterpoint: I forget who (may have been PFF) but they thought the FA spending was more specific player driven than position driven. If the best players in FA are IOL and IDL, better to spend on them than overpaying WR2/3s and fringe OTs. That said, you are correct that as the market for various positions increases, so does the surplus value of that position in the draft.

It’s a fair point, but I think the argument is FA is reflective of what the league values positionally on any given year. If tight ends aren’t getting paid, for example, would you spend a first round pick on one knowing there are cap savings to consider? I.e, if a team also needs a starting interior defender, why overpay that for on the market when Byron Murphy or Johnny Newton is available?

Edited by goldfishwars
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Does that mean Newton and Murphy go higher than we think?

I think those 2 are the main guys that are going to screw up everyone's mock drafts. I can't seem to find landing spots inside the top-16 for them whenever I make a mock draft, but in reality, they'll probably BOTH go top-16.

• Like 1

End of the first round is murky. I think a lot of these guys that regularly get mocked late first (ie Rakestraw, McKinstry, JPJ, Jordan Morgan, Wiggins, Darius Robinson) are going to drop into the 2nd while a lot of guys that get regularly mocked early 2nd (Braden Fiske, Ruke Orhorhoro, Troy Franklin, Edgerrin Cooper, Mike Sainristil) are going to fill their spots.

Crazy to me that Sainristil especially was a consensus 3rd rounder just a few weeks ago. Everyone loves that guy, and for good reason. He's a ballhawk nickel who is dangerous with the ball in his hands and plays the run super well. He's like a unicorn.

20 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think those 2 are the main guys that are going to screw up everyone's mock drafts. I can't seem to find landing spots inside the top-16 for them whenever I make a mock draft, but in reality, they'll probably BOTH go top-16.

Does Newton actually plan on testing before the draft? I know he was nursing a foot injury.