Is Jimmy Garoppolo underrated?

Elky

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure, but what he did in 2017 was pretty impressive. That was a team that had one win prior to him starting, was on pace to finish with the first / second overall pick. The team was awful. He proceeded to go 5-0 with that very same team (actually less, because of offensive line injuries), including wins over 2 playoff teams from that year. Now, a lot of that in my opinion has to do with a lack of tape from opposing teams (and it's not like the offense was always super impressive during that stretch) but it's still pretty impressive for his W-L record when looking at the team and saying they suck without him but are good with him. 

Mostly, right now. He's fine. I put more faith in Shanny than Jimmy, but I don't think that's a bad call. He's like so many other quarterbacks who are largely dependent on their situation and circumstance. There's very few quarterbacks who can overcome bad situations. He's not one of them. That being said, I don't know that he's a finished product yet despite his age. If this is all he ever is, it's okay. The team can compete with this, you just have to have the better team around him. But the door hasn't completely shut on him getting better either. Could he get into that Matt Ryan type tier? Maybe. 

The JAX game was eye opening.  The rest was a very soft schedule IIRC.  That and a lack of film probably had him too high ceiling wise in our projections of him heading into 2018. But yes the perennial franchise QB talent that can win games with his play when needed is there, I mean he's done it 3-4x this year alone.   I’m just more convinced it’s all there in 2020 for the ACL recovery timeline reasons covered before.  To be clear I think he can do enough to win vs. KC.   It’s just that the physical barriers should be all gone by then. 

It’s like you & others mentioned though - none of that changes the fact he’s still the weak link this playoffs on a really good to near great O.  It’s so balanced and talented, that run O is elite.  And his receiving cast is excellent with Deebo’s emergence adding to Kittle & Sanders.  No shame to say that. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Could he get into that Matt Ryan type tier? Maybe. 

Matt Ryan's early teams were run-heavy teams featuring Micheal Turner. Those offenses were "run, run, throw on 3rd and long" kind of conservative offenses you've seen everywhere, so Matt was considered a game manager. Eventually Micheal Turner's body failed him and the offense funneled itself through Ryan's arm around 2011/2012. After that, he shed the game manager label (I actually think Matt Ryan probably leads the league in pass attempts going back that far). Those Falcons teams were nowhere near as talented as this 49ers squad is, but it's not a bad comparison. Just because the 49ers don't need Jimmy to be the guy right now doesn't mean Shanny couldn't have Jimmy G slinging the rock 40 times a game 3-4 years down the road. Team composition changes so quickly with teams from year to year, so you never know.

• Like 1

Maybe. At least heading into this SB where he is A) coming off a game where he didn't have to do anything and B) the opposing QB is Mahomes. 

He's played a game manager role for much of 2019, and so far in the postseason, but he's not a "game manager" in the derogatory sense that he limits what the offense can do and can't be asked to do much. He's franchise QB territory to me, which makes him a top 18 or so QB. It's hard to rate him much higher when we've only seen 1 season of more than 5 starts from him, a season where he had a great run game and one of the best offensive staffs supporting him, and only put up good not great numbers. However, I do feel comfortable calling him "the guy" for San Fran for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

He’s some where between Alex Smith  (Chiefs era) and Matt Ryan. Really good, good enough to help his team win a Super Bowl if they have good weapons and a great defense (like this year) but he isn’t a “put my team on my back” kind of guy.

Go watch the Saints game plus 4 4th 4qtr comebacks. Amazing how cluless you ppl are. I think hes pretty damn good when he needs to sling the rock

Edited by Dub_City30

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think he's absolutely underrated. Lots of people talking like if SF has to throw more than 10 times they're guaranteed to lose or something. Like, didn't we just witness him outduel Drew Brees a couple weeks ago? He's MORE than capable of handling whatever the team needs to win.

The thing with Jimmy G is that it's hard to grasp just how good he is because SF's primary passing concepts are slants and short passes. Jimmy G ranked 29th in the NFL in deep ball attempts, 27th in the NFL at pass attempt distance. He gets LOTS of YAC off of the short throws, so it's hard to truly judge how good of a QB he is.

But in general, I absolutely agree that he's underrated. He's not a liability or a crux of any sort.

Did we just become best friends?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Maybe. At least heading into this SB where he is A) coming off a game where he didn't have to do anything and B) the opposing QB is Mahomes. 

He's played a game manager role for much of 2019, and so far in the postseason, but he's not a "game manager" in the derogatory sense that he limits what the offense can do and can't be asked to do much. He's franchise QB territory to me, which makes him a top 18 or so QB. It's hard to rate him much higher when we've only seen 1 season of more than 5 starts from him, a season where he had a great run game and one of the best offensive staffs supporting him, and only put up good not great numbers. However, I do feel comfortable calling him "the guy" for San Fran for the foreseeable future.

The guy has the same stats as Deshaun Watson yet rank Watson higher I dont get it?

Tbh I don't care, we haven't seen the best of Jimmy yet. I think the idea that we can't win on his back is completely dumb. He's played elite teams and won on his back. We literally had a stretch of games that we couldn't run the ball and D was falling apart. Now do I think he's top 5 no. But he's not asked to be the reason we win. Now every game he has a handful of wtf are you doing throws where he goes blind. I think we need to remember even tho he's been in the league for years now this is his first full season starting. Now I'm not saying those throws will be fixed but I think he needs to be given the benefit of the doubt. Right now I think he's top 12 QB. I think he's a better version of Kirk Cousins because hes a closer.

Edited by 49erurtaza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Alex Smith is a good comparison I think. He can get you to where you want to go but I don't think he will ever be a guy who can take games over with his arm and pass 35+ times per game.

He plays within the system that is asked of him very well but I don't think he will be leading any explosive passing attack offenses

Not sure that I agree. Granted it's still early and the sample size is small, in the six games where Jimmy has been asked to throw it 35+ times, he has a 5-1 record averaging 28/40 (69.5%) passes for 335 yards, 2.3 TD and 0.8 INT. Counting just this season, hes TD/INT increases to 3.25 to 1 while the rest stays largely the same. He out-duelled both Brees and Russell Wilson on one occasion each (the greased weasel won the first round).   

I wouldn't call him a weak link but he is a bit of an unknown. As for the Alex Smith comparison, Forge gave a really good response at the bottom of page 1. I'm comfortable with him as my franchise QB and looking forward to seeing what he can develop into with more experience under Shanahan's tutelage. 

2 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The thing with Jimmy G is that it's hard to grasp just how good he is because SF's primary passing concepts are slants and short passes. Jimmy G ranked 29th in the NFL in deep ball attempts, 27th in the NFL at pass attempt distance. He gets LOTS of YAC off of the short throws, so it's hard to truly judge how good of a QB he is.

Which is why I don't understand why teams don't play 8 in the box all game vs the Niners and force Jimmy to beat them deep.