Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

On 3/17/2020 at 8:31 PM, AkronsWitness said:

IDK hes still not a proven commodity and he would come at a much more costly price tag (and older) than other guys out there . I would much rather roll the dice on a younger guy like Karl Joseph who would carry much less risk with still a high reward without forfeiting draft picks+ lots of cap room.

But then again, what the hell do I know Harris might be a pro bowler for the next 4 years.

I will just leave this here from 24 hours ago and get started on my victory lap. BOOOOOOOOOM

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, brownie man said:

man hes older too I dont think I'd do it 

That was my thought. A 29 year old Safety who has had 1 good year in his career who wants top dollar? Hardest of all passes.

Again, sign a guy like Vonn Bell or Eric Reid for < 8 million and pair them with Joseph. We will be just fine. A lot of good production out there for bargain prices.

• Like 1

I think we need lots more depth on defense. Lots. Exhibit A, look at CB last year. Look at what we had out there when Ward and Williams were injured. I’m not saying we have to break the bank with a bunch of big signings. But we need some competence to take the field when the inevitable injuries happen. We have spots on defense yet where we don’t really even have a good starters. So certainly we could use veteran depth. 

10 hours ago, brownie man said:

man hes older too I dont think I'd do it 

I've recently abandoned the normative thinking of we sports fans which is to constantly do the calculus of if the decision is in the service of longterm sustainable winning, especially when it comes to the age of prospective free agents.

At least I've abandoned that way of thinking in some cases like for Anthony Harris who is arguably a top 3 Safety in football still in his prime.

I always want to think in terms of setting up a dynasty or a 5 year run of high level winning. Whether it be keeping Jarvis or OBJ, we're always considering this mythical time line of roster building.

I think that way of thinking is good and has utility in most cases, but in this case I think it makes more sense to do than to not assuming that AB and co. believe that Harris can play at a high level for 3 years. 

If the calculus is that Harris can play at a top 5 level for 2 to 3 years, then I think adding him to the roster becomes a roster synergy multiplier. That is, his impact might have a wide-ranging stabilizing and uplifting effect for the defense and as a result the team in general.

What matters most in that case is the draft capital the Browns have to give up.

A 4th plus Huge money is going to be hard to swallow for many teams. If it's a 5th, I'd say do it. If it's a 4th, it feels like a trade lost but a win in the end.

Edited by Mind Character