Vikings extend QB Kirk Cousins (Two years)

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Answer, they won’t. 

They won't.

Some are perfectly fine with a 4-13 season incoming and a forced firing of Rick/Zim ~10 months from now along with Cousins not taking a snap in a viking uniform in 2022. And the rebuilds happens at that time under new leadership

Edited by CriminalMind

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

It’s debatable if the Vikes can now build up a great team around Cousins given his cost and aging/turnover of key defensive players. There has been very little development and some bad drafts from 2016-2019 that has put the defense in a bind. A heavy investment on offense has cost the defense dearly (Cousins and early OL picks). The Vikes need to get back to playing top 5 worthy defense and I don’t know how they get back to that, essentially now, to coincide with Cousins peak.

Well, we will get 4 starters back on defense to start the season. That’s a good start. And I still think some players will be cut along with some players restructuring there contracts. 

and your right about the drafts, we have to hit on 2 or 3 players this year as well.. all the picks we have, you would think we could find one or 2 hidden jems in the later rounds.

again, I really hope we get a DE or DT in FA and draft the opposite position in the draft.. that’s what I want..

2 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Well, we will get 4 starters back on defense to start the season. That’s a good start. And I still think some players will be cut along with some players restructuring there contracts. 

and your right about the drafts, we have to hit on 2 or 3 players this year as well.. all the picks we have, you would think we could find one or 2 hidden jems in the later rounds.

again, I really hope we get a DE or DT in FA and draft the opposite position in the draft.. that’s what I want..

Doesn’t help that they had a three year stretch with no first round building blocks, Treadwell, Bradford (acquires with a first) and Hughes. This team might be in a different spot now had those three first round picks played up to the level of deserving a second contract.

Justin Jefferson went on the Jim Rome Show this week and was asked about Cousins. Jefferson adamantly defended his quarterback.

Jefferson: “He definitely takes a lot of heat, he takes way more heat than he really deserves. If you look at the numbers, he’s top of the league. He’s been doing a lot of things for this team and for this offense. I don’t really understand why he gets so much criticism. All of those losses that we had wasn’t on him. Of course, we would like to take some plays back and redo some plays but that’s just how it is. You don’t play perfectly, especially in this league, and to see the things that he has done I really don’t know why he gets so much criticism. He’s the reason why I had 1,400 yards.”

https://heavy.com/sports/minnesota-vikings/justin-jefferson-fires-back-kirk-cousins-critics/?fbclid=IwAR2cEaPKe0T6JnxHdR7wbu0Nk0VTFMxTZkp41bbZvtaV3bItpBJMwOcccKE

• Like 1

I just saw a rumor that Cousins might end up in SF...? Why?

Even if we swing a 3-way trade and get Watson, I don’t buy that Watson is significantly better than Cousins, at least to the point of giving up multiple picks (and eating the cap hit)  to get him.

and if we aren’t getting Watson, it makes no sense entirely.

18 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Barr and Kendricks are getting older.  If Hunter comes back the same, great.  But, if he doesn't then there is a hole.  Pierce has never played a down for the Vikings.  It is hoped that he will be effective in the defense...yet, I was excited when we signed Sheldon Richardson...who didn't do diddley.  Hughes is a bust.  Plain and simple.  Watts, Lynch and Mata'afa showed promise.  I don't know if Dye showed anything...however, I wouldn't make any of them day one starters.  Right now they are depth guys who might start if there's no one better.  Then, as you point out, there is a defensive end position (what the hell is an "edge" anyway??), a need for a safety and a pass rushing, run crushing defensive tackle.  

If you go back and look at my post that you are responding to, I never said the defense couldn't get better.  I said I wasn't as optimistic as the poster I was responding to.  Please don't mischaracterize my post.

Once again NEITHER Barr nor Kendricks are getting older(In the Football world).  Starting to say that now is a joke.

Also I didn't mischaracterize a thing I simply responded appropriately but I doubt you can see that when you're saying two 28yr olds are getting older ..  I guess Justin Jefferson is getting older as well.  Yes that is obvious every player gets older every day just like normal people but neither are anywhere near the age you start worrying about, neither of them are runningbacks.

Now with that said the poster you were responding to said we'd have made the playoffs with the guys that were hurt and you said you wish you could be as optimistic as him meaning you don't agree with that.   I don't get why this is hard for you to understand?

Also while Im here maybe you should use your own advise I never said any of those players would be starters yet you mischaracterize what Ive said, kind of funny how that works isn't it?  I just dont get how anyone can say that the defense won't be better getting back Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, Hughes(bust or not still better than the street guys & personally I don't label players that cant stay healthy as busts but maybe thats just me) & Pierce(sure he didn't play for us but its not like he's a rookie and since you brought up Sheldon Richardson I'd be perfectly happy if one of those guys could turn out as good as Richardson was here.

Also how does someone who follows football not know what an Edge is? Do you not know what a Flanker or a 3 tech is either?

Edited by Boda

7 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I just saw a rumor that Cousins might end up in SF...? Why?

Even if we swing a 3-way trade and get Watson, I don’t buy that Watson is significantly better than Cousins, at least to the point of giving up multiple picks (and eating the cap hit)  to get him.

and if we aren’t getting Watson, it makes no sense entirely.

It’s that offseason phenomenon where people think change, or something different, automatically mean better, and more success. 

And who wouldn’t want Watson?! I mean, he just had a fantastic year (statistically), and led a team with a bad defense, and devoid of future resources to an unbelievable...4-12 record. There’s absolutely no doubt that a team with a poor defense, and devoid of future resources after trading for Watson shouldn’t instantly become a super bowl contender.

• Like 1

At this point in his career, Kirk Cousins has won 51 games, lost 51 games, and played in 2 ties.  Exactly .500.  A couple of years ago, he famously said, he didn't want to be remembered as a .500 quarterback.  He either needs to be traded to a team with better overall talent SF/Indy, or continue to improve, raise the level of play of those around him, him helping out his oline more, etc.  There's work for Kirk to do if he doesn't want to be remembered as a .500 quarterback.

16 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

This is the key right here.

Why would Zimmer and Rick trade away Cousins for a rebuild when it means Zimmer has a high chance of getting canned and Rick could be right behind him?

There's no reason it has to be a rebuild.  Garappolo isn't a rebuild.  And you hit on the draft pick(s) you're given as part of the trade, it's possible the team is better off next year.

It would be somewhat of a gamble, but I don't think that's a bad thing. 7-9 isn't something we should cling to.

Edited by Worm Guts

Cousins has a great rapport with Jefferson and Thielen, and the offense was top 5 in yards. I don't see the point in mixing it up by letting Cousins go.

It's the defense that needs improvement and it's the defense that kept us out of the playoffs this past season.

Edited by joru1000

7 minutes ago, joru1000 said:

Cousins has a great rapport with Jefferson and Thielen, and the offense was top 5 in yards. I don't see the point in mixing it up by letting Cousins go.

It's the defense that needs improvement and it's the defense that kept us out of the playoffs this past season.

I’d argue that Cousins lousy play in the first quarter to half of the season kept the Vikes out. He was a turnover machine out of the gates. Some games they probably should have won early on if not for dumb turnovers. Cousins didn’t really turn it around until November. 

3 ints against the Colts and Falcons, bad Int to start the year against GB on a potential GW drive, 2 ints against TN. I’d look no further than this stretch as to why the Vikes didn’t make the playoffs.

• Like 1

The conventional wisdom is that Rick/Zim are tied to Cousins. If Cousins fails again this year, one could argue Rick/Zim are out. Rick must see this dynamic too, so does he really want to bank on Cousins?

If Rick trades Cousins, he actually might be extending his GM window with the organization, if he sells them on a different direction.