Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm not a big "punish these people" sort of guy, but ...punish these people.

Make an artificial "no fly zone" and enforce it. People will sneak in, but the number will be low. Those who get caught sneaking in are subject to a pretty big fine. 

I've seen similar NFZs in Downtown Houston back during the Republican primaries - debates were at UH and you had to be a Ninja to break into that NFZ.

Yeah, i agree with that- for me it would be one warning and then arrest them.  I'm just saying it's going to happen, and it's something that needs to be factored into the decision-making. 

3 hours ago, dtait93 said:

"Chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine are currently recommended for treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in several countries. Both chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have known safety profiles...but have been reportedly well-tolerated in COVID-19 patients."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/therapeutic-options.html

"Who can take hydroxychloroquine? Hydroxychloroquine can be prescribed to adults and children of all ages. It can also safely be taken by pregnant women and nursing mothers.

https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/resources/pdf/fsp/drugs/hydroxychloroquine.pdf

We know who's at risk (cardiotoxicity with prolonged use in patients with hepatic or renal dysfunction and immunosuppression) and we know it's safe for even the most fragile (children, pregnant and nursing mothers). If the person does indeed have COVID-19 after testing and is not at risk to take the drug, I see no reason not to prescribe it.

haven't they only done small studies on it so far? and like 98% ppl who get covid recover anyways. so if you have a sss and 100% recover is that really saying anything definitive?

also a dude here in az died from taking it like two weeks back, tho I just read the headline so...

I haven't really looked into it too much tho, so there might be more definitive results. 

Edited by 11sanchez11

1 minute ago, 11sanchez11 said:

haven't they only done small studies on it so far? and like 98% ppl who get covid recover anyways. so if you have a sss and 100% recover is that really saying anything definitive. 

I haven't really looked into it too much tho, so there might be more definitive results. 

Idk if I’m allowed to talk about it anymore without a link in my post and I don’t wanna get the thread locked so a mod can edit/delete my post if it’s unacceptable but...

Yeah most people recover anyways, but why go through feeling like death longer than you have to if it’s a medicine that’s safe for you to take and significantly decreases the length of the symptoms?

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Yeah most people recover anyways, but why go through feeling like death longer than you have to if it’s a medicine that’s safe for you to take and significantly decreases the length of the symptoms?

is there substantial evidence of that?

I didn't read the articles you posted. 

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

is there substantial evidence of that?

I didn't read the articles you posted. 

I don’t think I’m allowed to talk about it since it’s not a cdc or who link. But it’s a few pages back I mentioned it

Second quarter unemployment rate is projecting to be between 10-40% (the NYT is suggesting it’s already at ~13%) but more precisely 32%. That’s 7% higher than the Great Depression unemployment peak. 

And some want to keep all non-essential businesses closed until a vaccine is released that’s at minimum a year away?

🤔

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2020/march/back-envelope-estimates-next-quarters-unemployment-rate

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/upshot/coronavirus-jobless-rate-great-depression.html

• Like 1

Weird observation.....

A while back I was talking to someone on the board and I commented that one state had 80 cases, which happened to be the same as another state (80).  

Now one state just crossed 1000, while the other one is over 14,000.  

15 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

Second quarter unemployment rate is projecting to be between 10-40% (the NYT is suggesting it’s already at ~13%) but more precisely 32%. That’s 7% higher than the Great Depression unemployment peak. 

And some want to keep all non-essential businesses closed until a vaccine is released that’s at minimum a year away?

🤔

https://www.stlouisfed.org/on-the-economy/2020/march/back-envelope-estimates-next-quarters-unemployment-rate

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/upshot/coronavirus-jobless-rate-great-depression.html

I’d say most people are wanting closures until we get past some of the peak stuff at least. Right or wrong, our country and pretty much every other country was unprepared as far as resources, and our best current tactic is to stall and hope that the hospital beds aren’t completely inundated. Level out the cases over time, have masks, ventilator access, etc. Going back to business as usual right now is pretty much a guarantee that will happen and our medical system will not hold up. I am sure there are outliers that want to wait on a vaccine, and I’m not lobbying for that by any means. But that would make more sense than opening things back up tomorrow at least. The current unemployment is going to have serious layers of issues but nothing near ignoring the dangers of the virus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 11sanchez11 said:

also a dude here in az died from taking it like two weeks back, tho I just read the headline so..

that dude drank fish tank cleaner.

Everything that exists currently as far as treatment goes is hopeful but not definitive. more testing needed

In nz we are about 10 days into a 28 day lockdown with 1k cases and 1 death so far. 

One dr i work with talked about a staggered opening of the country, the ubder 40s being allowed to go out, for month prior to the over 40s. It would build herd immunity, and avoid people becoming too unwell. 

It would help the economy in a huge way. 

In Spain things are starting to flatten. Only 674 fatalities after a high of 940 just a week ago. 6010 new infections compared to over 8-9K during the peak. It is trending downwards at last but we are not out of the woods at all yet, but very encouraging.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Who said anything about all? All is a pretty encompassing word. I never said all, I specifically went into a hierarchy of what should and should not be done.

I'll state it again - under no circumstances should you cram 80,000 people into a single building right now or in the immediate future - not unless you have a reliable, scalable countermeasure (vaccine or multiple treatment options to account for all situations). Concerts, Conventions, Sporting Events - if you can't do these things in a virtual or streaming setting, don't do them - full stop.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Glen said:

When we stop self isolating all that will happen is a rapid spike in confirmed cases & allow the virus to spread even more so.

Thus killing more people. Thus overloading our hospitals, which will in turn kill more people.

Either you can see into the future or you are repeating the news?

15 hours ago, mission27 said:

Maybe I misunderstood your point

I 100% agree we need to be very careful about large public gatherings until there is a vaccine or cure, even if that means people can't physically attend sporting events for the next year or two

But I don't see any reason we couldn't resume professional sports without fans.  It would be weird but I think better than the alternative of not having any sports until maybe 2022

I have tried to look but not success...is any Coronavirus known to have a vaccine?  This is the family in which a common cold can come from right?  Zero cure for that.  I think people hoping for a vaccine may be let down.  Otherwise that would tell me they could have a vaccine for the common cold and just never bothered because it is not a severe/killer...