Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At what point do you ignore that group of people?  They’re clearly misinformed.

Again, I’m not disagreeing with you, but I don’t see him doing it, albeit he’s not up for re-election until 2022 and he’s in his mid 70s, albeit apparently that’s a great time to run for office/President these days.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

At what point do you ignore that group of people?  They’re clearly misinformed.

This is like the smoking ban in restaurants and food. It's the same idea as far as protecting the public.  

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Why is it that masks protect other people but not the wearer? Do that many droplets get around the edges of the mask? It seems like the lower velocity of air coming from other people would make it more likely that it wouldn't get through the mask

The virus is passed through the respiratory system through your mouth and nose. The mask blocks the viral load droplets from getting through the mask. On the other side, if you do come into contact with the virus, it can get in through many parts of your body. Basically any access to your blood stream. (Eyes, Cuts, etc)

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

Why is it that masks protect other people but not the wearer? Do that many droplets get around the edges of the mask? It seems like the lower velocity of air coming from other people would make it more likely that it wouldn't get through the mask

The mask prevents water droplets from leaving the mask, which is where most of the virus material is.  So it stays there.

The virus itself is small, so if it actually gets out in the air, and you breath it through your mask, the mask isn't going to filter it at that point.  Even an N95 or N100 mask won't filter it.

If someone spits at you and you're wearing your mask, it may protect you.  If you take it off right away and wash your face.  

Something that's gotten lost in the surge in the south is what's happening in Israel:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

Israel did everything right, got cases down from 700 a day to 20 a day. Now after re-opening they are back to 700 a day. 

Israel is around the same latitude as Texas and Arizona, has a very similar climate to the southern US and is a rich country with air conditioning. This is unlike a lot of other countries at that latitude. 

Obviously public policy plays a role, but like with the first surge in March this seems to be very climate driven. Places like the northern US, Canada, and Europe where people spend more time outside in the early summer than any other time of the year have had an easier time re-opening. Places where it gets so hot in the summer that people flea inside to the AC are actually doing worse.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Lowered inhibitions, less personal boundaries, people yelling/spitting when they talk...

Right, and that's a risk factor, but if we are seating small groups of people a distance away from each other the risk of transmission to large numbers of people should still be pretty low. And with outdoor dining its close to zero.

I think you're going to get a lot of push back from restaurant industry and the public at large if you totally ban in person alcohol sales. Banning standing and bar seating and limiting capacity probably gets you 80-90% of the gains without alienating those people.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Every Ohio poster under the sun is debating what their government should do and I'm just over here in Wisconsin with our big dumb supreme court that won't let us do anything.

Not so much what they should do, but rather what they will do. :)

DeWine was the BBC poster child in March and has always been beloved by conservatives/moderates, but he’s showing that this issue isn’t/should t be partisan, whereas in Wisconsin...LOL LOL LOL LOL

30 minutes ago, theJ said:

The mask prevents water droplets from leaving the mask, which is where most of the virus material is.  So it stays there.

The virus itself is small, so if it actually gets out in the air, and you breath it through your mask, the mask isn't going to filter it at that point.  Even an N95 or N100 mask won't filter it.

If someone spits at you and you're wearing your mask, it may protect you.  If you take it off right away and wash your face.  

Which brings another point that gets overlooked a lot- I assume masks lower the viral load significantly if you do get infected. I'm not sure if it's been proven yet or not, but there seems to be correlation between viral load and severity of the illness. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Something that's gotten lost in the surge in the south is what's happening in Israel:

Places like the northern US, Canada, and Europe where people spend more time outside in the early summer than any other time of the year have had an easier time re-opening. Places where it gets so hot in the summer that people flea inside to the AC are actually doing worse.

This is very interesting. And fairly obvious in retrospect when you consider two things.

1. Possibility that it has trouble surviving in direct sunlight.
2. Airflow systems blowing it around in closed off environments indoors.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mission27 said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/israel/

Israel did everything right, got cases down from 700 a day to 20 a day. Now after re-opening they are back to 700 a day. 

Israel is around the same latitude as Texas and Arizona, has a very similar climate to the southern US and is a rich country with air conditioning. This is unlike a lot of other countries at that latitude. 

Obviously public policy plays a role, but like with the first surge in March this seems to be very climate driven. Places like the northern US, Canada, and Europe where people spend more time outside in the early summer than any other time of the year have had an easier time re-opening. Places where it gets so hot in the summer that people flea inside to the AC are actually doing worse.

Florida, Texas, and Arizona also didn't mandate masks. Cali did, but I've heard a lot of the public neglected those regulations. Masks indoors should be mandatory everywhere and heavily enforced. It may be the difference of having a business open at 25% capacity or open at 75% capacity. They could be a game changer in all of this. 

2 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Florida, Texas, and Arizona also didn't mandate masks. Cali did, but I've heard a lot of the public neglected those regulations. Masks indoors should be mandatory everywhere and heavily enforced. It may be the difference of having a business open at 25% capacity or open at 75% capacity. They could be a game changer in all of this. 

Yeah I agree. There are places in Europe with low levels of mask adoption though. There's more than one way to skin this cat, but Florida, Texas, and Arizona chose to take the worst approach of all... allow large numbers of people to congregated indoors, in the AC, without masks.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

I'd be surprised if it got as bad up here as its getting down south, because we do have higher levels of immunity in our most exposed populations and are taking more precautions. But there's no way there wont be some seepage. I do think cases will go up across the country as we're arguably already starting to see.

Ehhh...I think many of the cities upstate have very low levels of immunity. I remember the first study out of NY had my region around 4% with developed antibodies. That was prior to reopening- so I'm sure it's gone up a bit, but I'd assume its only slightly increased given how we've flattened the curve. 

My "really unlikely but hopeful" scenario is the virus is beginning to mutate to a weaker strain in the north east area since it transmitted through so many bodies. There was an interesting study I linked here a few weeks ago that claimed the virus *may* have weaker strains appearing in Europe. Those weaker strains seem to be more prevalent in areas that were hit harder. Sweden was at 20% of the strains appeared to be weaker where as other areas were only at 4-5%.

Realistically, I think New York is taking this virus more seriously than the south from leadership down to the general public. Of course, we still have people who try to down play it, but that seems to be a much lower percentage than down south. I also haven't heard many people complaining about a face mask in public settings. Which seems to be a hill many southerners are willing to die on.

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1