Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Webmaster

more good news...from Derek Lowe at In the Pipeline

"What does this mean for the pandemic vaccine effort in general? The first big take-away is that coronavirus vaccines can work. I have already said many times  that I thought that this would be the case, but now we finally have proof. The worst “oh-God-no-vaccine” case is now disposed of.
And since all of the vaccines are targeting the same Spike protein, it is highly likely that they are all going to work. There may well be differences between them, in safety, level of efficacy across different patient groups, and duration, but since all of them have shown robust antibody responses in Phase I trials, I think we can now connect those dots and say that we can expect positive data from all of them."

https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/11/09/vaccine-efficacy-data

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"What does this mean for the pandemic vaccine effort in general? The first big take-away is that coronavirus vaccines can work. I have already said many times  that I thought that this would be the case, but now we finally have proof. The worst “oh-God-no-vaccine” case is now disposed of.
And since all of the vaccines are targeting the same Spike protein, it is highly likely that they are all going to work. There may well be differences between them, in safety, level of efficacy across different patient groups, and duration, but since all of them have shown robust antibody responses in Phase I trials, I think we can now connect those dots and say that we can expect positive data from all of them."

schwing GIF

Vaccine is exciting, but I don’t know how we pretend that nearly 1/4 of Americans view vaccination as junk science.  And with the inaccuracy of polling on “political topics” lately, that figure could be terrifyingly higher.

Edited by SwAg
Double negative
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

those facilities are just building freezer farms, its cheaper and faster than trying to make the entire building into a -70 freezer
But the vaccine doses have to be kept cold in transit from Pfizer mfg to the freezer farm, and again from the farm to the clinic where they will dose patients

Dry ice and liquid nitrogen are the 2 main methods of transporting cold items and they have sensors in the Dewar ( container)  to make sure it doesn't go outside of specified temps while in transit. Once at the farm, they need a source of controlled power to feed the freezers - so that's a challenge in some countries where they don't have reliable electricity output. As far as dry ice, its a byproduct of ethanol production, so the pandemic strikes again as many of the large scale ethanol producers ramped down given the drop in energy use around the world. (Ethanol as fuel, not as vodka)

merlin_176730990_4de5108b-0d53-47f7-ac7d

I can see those being palletized and flown wherever. The issue would be if it needed power. I know some cargo planes are still equipped to transport Iron Lungs, so I wonder if something could be done to use that power source. I don't know the requirements for either, but it's an idea. I would guess though that liquid nitrogen would be used. But it is a Class 2 hazard, so there are limitations. There's also a waiver for damn near anything if it comes down to it.

• Like 1

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/11/09/933060635/operation-warp-speeds-logistics-chief-weighs-in-on-vaccine-progress

A top U.S. Army general who is co-leading the federal COVID-19 vaccine initiative anticipates that the first of millions of Americans could start receiving COVID-19 vaccines as soon as next month.

"I think a safe and effective vaccine will be available initially in December," Gen. Gustave Perna told NPR's Mary Louise Kelly in an interview Monday. If the Food and Drug Administration authorizes a vaccine by then, "10 to 30 million doses of vaccine will be available that we can start distributing."

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SwAg said:

Vaccine is exciting, but I don’t know how we pretend that nearly 1/4 of Americans view vaccination as junk science.  And with the inaccuracy of polling on “political topics” lately, that figure could be terrifyingly higher.

I couldn't care less if someone doesn't want the vaccine. I'll be getting mine, so I'll be protected and their choices (unlike with masks) won't affect me or my family. 

I realize vaccines aren't 100% effective, but if someone refuses the vaccine, they are really only hurting themselves. 

17 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Interesting concerns raised here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/infectious-disease-expert-on-waiting-on-pfizers-vaccine-data-2020-11

Does the vaccine prevent infection or just symptoms? 

I'll be getting the COVID vaccine, but I'm not going to be in the first wave of people who stand in line to get it. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach to make sure it's completely safe and effective. Since my family has already had it, I've got the luxury of having a little time.

The pediatric portion of the vaccine is more or less what I'm intrigued to see. 

*Note*

I'm 100% in favor of vaccinating my children/have them vaccinated, including annual flu shots, so please don't read into my comments above.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

Does the vaccine prevent infection or just symptoms? 

Short answer is both.

That 90% efficacy rate will likely go down after further trials, but for arguments sake, lets say it releases at 90%. That means there is still a 10% chance you could actually be infected. However, if you do get infected, your immune system will be crazy more prepared to fight it off, which should drastically reduce symptoms. That is a HUGE bonus because most long term effects/death are caused by complications from the symptoms. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll be getting the COVID vaccine, but I'm not going to be in the first wave of people who stand in line to get it. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach to make sure it's completely safe and effective. Since my family has already had it, I've got the luxury of having a little time.

The pediatric portion of the vaccine is more or less what I'm intrigued to see. 

Definitely following this course of action. An additional 2-4 weeks shouldn't be too much...

• Like 1