Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

If after the country opens up and cases/deaths don't spike any higher than the regular flu people might not be as fearful about gathering with other folks and our sports might return this summer.  *fingers crossed*

Edited by Pugger

13 hours ago, Pugger said:

If after the country opens up and cases/deaths don't spike any higher than the regular flu people might not be as fearful about gathering with other folks and our sports might return this summer.  *fingers crossed*

Not in California. They are in it for the long haul. No sports until 2030 or until the every single person on the planet is safe and cured from the corona virus.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/kenny-lofton-welcome-to-our-hall-of-pretty-damn-good-players/

@ramssuperbowl99 Follow up to our HOF conversation and the “fall of the ballot” part. Worth a read, if, you know, you happen to find any spare time.

538 is always worth a read. My favorite articles they do on sports are soccer related, usually because Messi is such an alien that they have to present plots of soccer stats with and without him because he's so far on his own.

On 4/11/2020 at 11:45 AM, Pugger said:

You have to wonder if it was the hydroxy or the antibiotic that caused the cardiac issues.  Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis patients have taken hydroxy for years with minimal side effects.  You are right, it is really up to a doctor to know if you can take it safely.   I saw another doctor on TV say there are several other drugs being tested that show promise too.  

NBC News:  A New York woman with coronavirus symptoms died last week after being prescribed a drug cocktail with known cardiac side effects, and family members say she was not tested for COVID-19 or for heart problems before receiving the medication.

The family’s experience suggests that at least some physicians are prescribing hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin — drugs President Donald Trump has promoted to treat the coronavirus — outside of hospital settings, underscoring why major medical organizations including the American Heart Association have issued warnings about the drug’s potential to trigger heart arrhythmia in some patients.

In early April a 65-year-old Queens resident, was given the drug by her general practitioner after she reported having a bad cough, fever and shortness of breath.

While the patients symptoms were consistent with those of COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, she was never tested for the virus. She received the drug after speaking by phone with her doctor, was never evaluated in person and received no heart screening or warning about the potential side effects.

18 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

538 is always worth a read. My favorite articles they do on sports are soccer related, usually because Messi is such an alien that they have to present plots of soccer stats with and without him because he's so far on his own.

TBH, I've never felt like more of a neanderthal sports "fan" then when I turn on soccer every 4 years for the World Cup. I basically have it on while impatiently waiting for someone to score a goal, while fervently rooting for Brazil for no real reason, while intentionally setting off my knowledgeable soccer fan buddies with passive/aggressive comments feigning complete ignorance to bait them into an argument. It's fantastic.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leader said:

NBC News:  A New York woman with coronavirus symptoms died last week after being prescribed a drug cocktail with known cardiac side effects, and family members say she was not tested for COVID-19 or for heart problems before receiving the medication.

The family’s experience suggests that at least some physicians are prescribing hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin — drugs President Donald Trump has promoted to treat the coronavirus — outside of hospital settings, underscoring why major medical organizations including the American Heart Association have issued warnings about the drug’s potential to trigger heart arrhythmia in some patients.

In early April a 65-year-old Queens resident, was given the drug by her general practitioner after she reported having a bad cough, fever and shortness of breath.

While the patients symptoms were consistent with those of COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus, she was never tested for the virus. She received the drug after speaking by phone with her doctor, was never evaluated in person and received no heart screening or warning about the potential side effects.

I blame the doctor here.  The poor woman should have been tested for the virus AND her heart.  I see a lawsuit coming.   No doctor should be giving medications of any sort without first being evaluated in person.

There is another drug - remdesivir - being tested that shows promise from trails at the U. of Chicago from a company called Gilead Sciences.   The drugmaker Moderna received $483 million in government funding to accelerate its attempts to find a COVID-19 vaccine.  This kind of news is very encouraging so our lives can return to something closer to normal.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

I blame the doctor here.  The poor woman should have been tested for the virus AND her heart.  I see a lawsuit coming.   No doctor should be giving medications of any sort without first being evaluated in person.

No question. Sounds like the doctor applied the "What's she got to lose" measuring stick and (either) didnt know of her heart problems - or certainly never took the potential she had any into consideration before prescribing the drug.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received an email from the Orioles.  They are offering a 125% credit to your online account for season ticket holders, or a full refund on March, April and May games.  If you ordered single game tickets online or through the box office, they are advising you contact the box office line for refunds/credit.  If you ordered through third party sellers, you need to contact the third party seller.  

I also asked for clarification on whether or not that 125% credit can be rolled into future season tickets, or if it's just for single game purchases.  That's huge to me, and not clear in their FAQ.  If we don't have a season this year, that credit means my entire 2021 plan is already paid for, as well as 3/4's of 2022.  I don't see any team being happy with losing that much active cash flow.  

10 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I also asked for clarification on whether or not that 125% credit can be rolled into future season tickets, or if it's just for single game purchases.  That's huge to me, and not clear in their FAQ.  If we don't have a season this year, that credit means my entire 2021 plan is already paid for, as well as 3/4's of 2022.  I don't see any team being happy with losing that much active cash flow

it would actually be 1/4th but I still don't think that is worth it. Get your money back. Its not worth saving 25% in 2022. That's too far away to save a few grand. You are better off buying mutual funds for two years and then using future income on your tickets. Worry about 2022 in 2022

I heard that the As were finally starting to offer refunds, the last team to do so. LOL what a horrible ownership group.

The thought of playing games in a remote location sounded great at first, but the more I think about it, the less confident I am in MLB to pull it off. 

On 4/30/2020 at 5:15 AM, N4L said:

it would actually be 1/4th but I still don't think that is worth it. Get your money back. Its not worth saving 25% in 2022. That's too far away to save a few grand. You are better off buying mutual funds for two years and then using future income on your tickets. Worry about 2022 in 2022

I heard that the As were finally starting to offer refunds, the last team to do so. LOL what a horrible ownership group.

The thought of playing games in a remote location sounded great at first, but the more I think about it, the less confident I am in MLB to pull it off. 

12.5% ROI is pretty solid unless you spent a lot of time and effort researching.  25% is well worth the lack of risk and effort required to make that much in the market. 

Korea started their baseball league today w/o fans in attendance. We can joke about Marlins fans already knowing what this is like but if this proves to be successful, we can only hope MLB and other sports will take note and at least get people out there assuming they feel safe enough which is obviously the most important part.