Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

On 5/5/2020 at 6:41 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

12.5% ROI is pretty solid unless you spent a lot of time and effort researching.  25% is well worth the lack of risk and effort required to make that much in the market. 

I am advocating using future income for future expenses 

Who knows, he could need the money for something else besides a luxury item (tickets)

I think it's an oversimplification to classify that as a 12.5% ROI. That does not account for the opportunity cost associated with not possessing the money. 

The Os would rather hold onto his money for a reason

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I am advocating using future income for future expenses 

Who knows, he could need the money for something else besides a luxury item (tickets)

I think it's an oversimplification to classify that as a 12.5% ROI. That does not account for the opportunity cost associated with not possessing the money. 

The Os would rather hold onto his money for a reason

Of course the Os want to hold onto his money, thats why they are paying 12.5% apy.  Its no different than putting money in a savings account/CD etc and getting an insane interest rate.  If he may need the money between now and then, than sure get a refund.  But if he isn't hurting and still working through this pandemic, then its a much better return than they could get in anything unless they spent a ton of time researching the market. 

Opportunity cost is the same for any investment, you dont have your money while it grows. Thats the point of an investment.  So if he is planning on buying season tickets next year, and the year after, it is a much better return than he is likely to get anywhere else and much less risk.  If you could guarantee me 12.5% with no risk of loss, I would dump all of my savings money into it.  

On 5/12/2020 at 6:11 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

Toronto might be playing in Dunedin apparently 

I really hope thats not the case, I know the border is currently closed and may or may not re-open before July but there should be an exception made here, cant have a year without baseball in Canada.  Plus I'm sure the border will open at some point in July or August at the latest so whats the big deal

On 5/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, 11sanchez11 said:

come get roasted out here in az

Bro, why does your lame *** basketball arena charge so damn much to go to games? Honest question. We went to Phoenix right before the season postponed and paid almost $50 to sit like 10 rows from the top lol. It was such a boring place to be at and the in-game experience sucked. Small friggin' scoreboard that they made look like an iPhone for some stupid reason. We ended up spending 75% of our time in the beer garden because the arena sucked. I know it's older. It reminded me of the Bradley Center a lot and that sucked lol. 

58 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Bro, he's risking his life. 

He’s also apparently the only person that has to pay taxes? 

It’s a real slap in the face to basically everybody. Try telling the millions of Americans that are unemployed that you can’t work (at a relatively low risk job) for millions because it won’t be as many millions as it otherwise would be. Or tell that to the millions of Americans that are just going to go on with their jobs as we open up because they aren’t entitled spoiled pricks. 

**** this guy

• Like 2

tbh the players shouldn't have to subsidize any of the owner's losses

Whenever "why should owners get half the revenue for doing nothing comes up" the answer is always "because owning a business is risky and they're taking on that risk". Well... the risk is here. The contracts they willingly gave the players are guaranteed, and that means the players should be given a pro-rated portion of their salaries just like any other player who didn't get a full season of service time. If the MLB doesn't like it, they can negotiate for something else in the next CBA. If they don't have cash on hand, they can get a loan (they'd even qualify for a government subsidized loan) like any other business owner.

And tbh I'll believe the owners don't have the money to pay the players the second that the teams start filing for bankruptcy.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Whenever "why should owners get half the revenue for doing nothing comes up" the answer is always "because owning a business is risky and they're taking on that risk". Well... the risk is here. The contracts they willingly gave the players are guaranteed, and that means the players should be given a pro-rated portion of their salaries just like any other player who didn't get a full season of service time. If the MLB doesn't like it, they can negotiate for something else in the next CBA. If they don't have cash on hand, they can get a loan (they'd even qualify for a government subsidized loan) like any other business owner.

And tbh I'll believe the owners don't have the money to pay the players the second that the teams start filing for bankruptcy.

Yes.  Nobody has to worry that poor Jerry Reinsdorf or broke Tom Ricketts will be without their mega-yachts anytime soon if they have to pay the players.  

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I’m not taking a pro owners stance. I’m taking an anti Blake Snell stance for being a completely tone deaf tool. Furthermore, he’s arguing his salary shouldn’t be pro rated for the half season, which I think is absurd  

• Like 4