Texans trade for WR Brandin Cooks

Texansfan713

1 minute ago, Letsch80 said:

I'm a fan of a team who has benefitted from trades for Marcus Peters and Calais Campbell for a, pair of 5th round picks.. Trading is good when you make smart moves and don't mortgage your future.. 

But we didn't....you could make a case we mortgaged 2020 with 20% of our cap space dedicated to dead money, but I still think we willl be competitive and have 4 picks in the top 105 this year.

Not sure what team you're referring to then...

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Do you really want to go down this road? Because it won't take me long to prove this wrong. You're vastly overstating things here. Are you forgetting the contributions of Anquan Boldin and Matt Birk to the 2012 Ravens? How about Stephon Gilmore and Kyle Van Noy to the 2018 Patriots? How about Frank Clark and Mitchell Schwartz to the 2019 Chiefs? I can go on all day. Consistent teams build some of their team through the draft and supplement it with trades and free agent signings.

Sure they do but those moves never put their teams behind the 8 ball with those trades and signings.. 

Just now, Letsch80 said:

Sure they do but those moves never put their teams behind the 8 ball with those trades and signings.. 

Basically, it has nothing to do with the Rams' strategy, except you don't like the moves we're making. Let's at least be honest about that. You're claiming that our strategy violates football purity. Now, you're backing off and saying that it's wrong because we're making the wrong decisions, not because the strategy can't work. And I'll simply say that we will see whether or not we're making the right decisions. Snead and McVay are 33-15 together in the regular season and have a Super Bowl appearance in their three years as partners. If the Rams don't continue to compete over the next 3-5 years, you'll be right. If they do, you clearly weren't.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Basically, it has nothing to do with the Rams' strategy, except you don't like the moves we're making. Let's at least be honest about that. You're claiming that our strategy violates football purity. Now, you're backing off and saying that it's wrong because we're making the wrong decisions, not because the strategy can't work. And I'll simply say that we will see whether or not we're making the right decisions. Snead and McVay are 33-15 together in the regular season and have a Super Bowl appearance in their three years as partners. If the Rams don't continue to compete over the next 3-5 years, you'll be right. If they do, you clearly weren't.

Now you all are the ones taking this out of context.. I'm not attacking the Rams organization here I'm more speaking more as a generalization at this point defending my point of view.. 

23 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Now you all are the ones taking this out of context.. I'm not attacking the Rams organization here I'm more speaking more as a generalization at this point defending my point of view.. 

First, you said we must build through the draft. Then, you said that trading for and signing contributors is fine if it doesn't put you behind the eight-ball. It's hard to pin down exactly what your point of view is. It just seems arbitrary.

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, we did get Clinton Portis at like 23-years old and he was a stud for quite awhile. Plus must people don't even know the reason why we had to trade Champ Bailey. But yes, Gibbs was getting fleeced left and right for picks. Brandon Lloyd, TJ Duckett, trading a second to move up in the second round to get D'Qwell Jackson before the Browns made their pick and then having the Browns pick him lol. Trading up for Jason Campbell before the draft even took place. Giving up a third for a broken down Mark Brunell. It was rough.

We still traded Bailey at 25 years of age.  There was a little more emphasis on RBs at that point, but corners were still in high demand.  Both teams had to give new contracts out, so it should've been an even swap of players.  Maybe throw in a future seventh.  Even with the reason to trade Bailey, it was no reason to give up a high draft choice. 

Oh, and let's not forget 2004 would begin three straight First Team All-Pro selections for Bailey, who would also net two second team nods for the Broncos.  Portis has one second team nod to his name, and of course, the Redskins would play an explosive outside running back out of position.  He came into the league with two straight seasons rushing for 5.5 YPC, and never finished above 4.3 YPC because we had him running between the tackles for us.  

Like the rest of the trades involving draft picks, it didn't really work out so well.  Portis is a gamer, and I respect his play on the field and he can't control that he was played out of position and had Gibbs take a few years off his career because of that.  But all of that goes into evaluating the trade and what we got for it, and it was underwhelming.  

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

The Chiefs traded a 1st, 2nd and gave Clark 105M... 

One of those go for broke ‘because we got the reigning MVP’ type of moves. Still don’t really know how to feel about the trade...

But he was clutch in the Super Bowl and playoffs. So he’s been worth it, at least for now. 

Hope his neck issue at the beginning of the season doesn’t come back.

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

Rams had the 8th most homegrown talent entering the year... Might want to sit this one out. 

I think people lose sight on that because they are shocked because the Rams actually get aggressive and go after players like Watkins, Ramsey, Cooks, Fowler, Peters, Talib, and heck even tried to get Mack then did their homework on OBJ before saying no due to not liking what they were finding out. So people dont realize the Rams built their team from the draft and it started the second Snead became the GM because he traded down twice in the 2012 draft to get that RG3 haul then got more picks from the Cowboys who moved up to get Claiborne. So yeah no disrespect but when people dont know what they are talking about and throw out claims like the Rams dont build through the draft just because the last few years the Rams decided to go for it and surround their homegrown team with high caliber players I just tune them out. 

Edited by stl4life07
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

To add to that in the Rams worst season under McVay they finished with a winning record and the only team with a winning record to miss the playoffs and literally a Zeurlein FG in Seattle away from winning 10 games and going back to the playoffs for a 4th straight time under McVay. So even in the Rams worst year under McVay they still wasnt your typical (7-9) team like we saw from the Saints 3yrs in a row after they gave Brees that big contract at the time or we saw the Jags the season after they went to the AFCCG.  I know its not going to be easy in the NFCW or even in the NFC as a whole. The 7th playoff spot will certainly help the Rams case too. If the 7th seed was in effect this past season the Rams wouldve been in the playoffs. I think the Rams will still be in contention every year to make the playoffs as long as McVay is the head coach the Rams continue to draft well and be aggressive during the offseason as well as during the season to improve the team and also with the players they have. Goff on his worst year was a Zeurlein made FG away from leading his team to 10 wins and another playoff berth. I dont expect him to have that type of bad season again so Im confident when I say 10 wins even though Vegas has the Rams 8.5. The Rams should improve the oline just by health alone but also drafting well and continued development by the younger players. Cant predict injuries but Id be shocked if the Rams go through back to back seasons of just horrible health. Remember that before last season the Rams literally have been the model of health or as can be when it comes to the other teams in the NFL. So to make a long story short, if there is still time lol, unless Kroenke just goes cheap and dont want to spend, unless Snead forget how to GM the team, unless McVay forgets how to coach, and the team that still has alot of talent forget just how to play, the Rams will be fine. Not saying they will always make the playoffs but they will certainly be in contention every year and wont just fall off the map just like alot of people are now believing. 

Edited by stl4life07