1.26 - Jordan Love [QB; Utah State] - QB1

CWood21

45 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

There's no way to do this in half-measures guys.  Do you know who the current starting QB for the Green Bay Packers is?  You put Love on the field for any reason but injury or kneel-down duty and Rodgers is never playing another snap in Green Bay.  I absolutely believe he would burn the whole organization down just at the suggestion of ceding playing time to Love.

If you're replacing Rodgers, you either believe you have the guy or you don't.  You're not going to get some extended trial where he proves he's the heir apparent, and Rodgers gracefully acquiesces the throne to make way.  Love has the arm talent and the pocket movement to make you feel good about the attempt; there's very little if any ceiling with Love, even if the floor is DeShone Kizer.  How coachable he is, what his locker and meeting room presence is, how obsessive is his desire; all of that only the people in the building really know, but it is a known quantity to the people making the call.  So is he the guy, or isn't he?  Because the last bit, maybe the biggest bit, you won't ever know until he steps on the field for real: does he have the ability to bring all of this together on the field on Sunday?  You find that out when he steps on the field - on Sunday - and never before. 

The stage is certainly set for them to make that move next year.  If I were forced to read the tea leaves, I'd say everything points to the Packers moving on from Rodgers.  They kept every piece they possibly could, and re-structured to spend everything they had left.  They brought back an old friend for a year, which has a real "lavish gifts because this is the last go, and we both know it, so let's do it big" energy to it.  Meanwhile they surprise re-sign the young RB, which has a real "you're about to be the starter so here's a shiny thing to keep defenses from focusing on you with laser intensity" energy to it.

This is what it looks like when a couple that's been together for a long time knows things are about to end, and it's kinda bad between them, they've decided to divorce behind closed doors, but their kid is getting married so they can't say anything yet.  They low-key hate each other, but it's more an angry fester than a hot boil, and they both love the kid so they don't want to upstage them and that plus the sudden space in their lives (now that they spend their private time alone) drives real civility.  They make it to wedding day, and their simmering hatred has died down even further, giving way to a kind of begrudging respect.  They even bring gifts for each other to the wedding, exchanged just beforehand; a favorite receiver and an earlier void year- I mean, signed divorce papers.  The split is official, and they both feel better for it, but it is a split; that the rest of their worlds haven't yet been notified doesn't change the significance.  Six months later they're both publicly with someone new, the world moves on, things go as they will.

Or I might be projecting, or uh, or something.  Anyhoooo, I think they're gonna roll with Love in 2022.  Is my point.

Congrats on the kid getting married!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

This is what it looks like when a couple that's been together for a long time knows things are about to end, and it's kinda bad between them, they've decided to divorce behind closed doors, but their kid is getting married so they can't say anything yet.  They low-key hate each other, but it's more an angry fester than a hot boil, and they both love the kid so they don't want to upstage them and that plus the sudden space in their lives (now that they spend their private time alone) drives real civility.  They make it to wedding day, and their simmering hatred has died down even further, giving way to a kind of begrudging respect.  They even bring gifts for each other to the wedding, exchanged just beforehand; a favorite receiver and an earlier void year- I mean, signed divorce papers.  The split is official, and they both feel better for it, but it is a split; that the rest of their worlds haven't yet been notified doesn't change the significance.  Six months later they're both publicly with someone new, the world moves on, things go as they will.

I can't wait for the season to start

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Leader said:

This ^

No way you can "time share" the QB position at this juncture.

The only way I could see a "time share" work in GB is if we had a running QB behind Rodgers.  Like young Kapernick or something like that.  You give that kid a few plays to learn and turn him loose for a couple of those snaps a game.

That's how it could work.

But, as stated above so eloquently, it would infuriate Rodgers, and rightly so.

Then you add Love into that mix.  He isn't a pure running QB, though he does have some pretty good feet and speed.  No way do you risk injury to your perceived future QB by exposing him on plays like that.

The only reps Love gets is in mop up duty, or if Rodgers can't play.

Thinking otherwise is really Madden simulation stuff.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

The only way I could see a "time share" work in GB is if we had a running QB behind Rodgers.  Like young Kapernick or something like that.  You give that kid a few plays to learn and turn him loose for a couple of those snaps a game.

That's how it could work.

But, as stated above so eloquently, it would infuriate Rodgers, and rightly so.

Then you add Love into that mix.  He isn't a pure running QB, though he does have some pretty good feet and speed.  No way do you risk injury to your perceived future QB by exposing him on plays like that.

The only reps Love gets is in mop up duty, or if Rodgers can't play.

Thinking otherwise is really Madden simulation stuff.

Nahhhhhh. Clearly we dont need the NOLA game plan here. We've succeeded without it - and - as mentioned, it would fly like a lead balloon with AR. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

The stage is certainly set for them to make that move next year.  If I were forced to read the tea leaves, I'd say everything points to the Packers moving on from Rodgers.

Agree.  It's a hell of a risk to take too.  If Love is say, Stafford level, it could be the right call.  

And, uh, sorry about your divorce I guess.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:16 AM, {Family Ghost} said:

Makes no sense at all to take the best QB in the NFL off the field.

Agree, Love will get some mop up time, but they won't take Rodgers off the field with game being close.  I do think Rodgers will miss some time this year though with an injury. 

Edited by NFLGURU

On 9/1/2021 at 2:02 PM, Joe said:

New England did this with Brady all the time. When Mitch Trubisky is great in the preseason and crap during the regular season, you have to get your so-called QB of the future some quality regular season snaps.

Can you give some examples of when they did that with Brady?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...