The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

Seen several articles now about Carr and Raiders entering contract negotiations, that's awesome. Like Vinny said, lock him up for three more years and it gives you time to win now, not be hamstrung for the future, and give yourself time to find a replacement while bolstering the rest of the team.  I doubt this will be a 5+ year deal. 

15 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Seen several articles now about Carr and Raiders entering contract negotiations, that's awesome. Like Vinny said, lock him up for three more years and it gives you time to win now, not be hamstrung for the future, and give yourself time to find a replacement while bolstering the rest of the team.  I doubt this will be a 5+ year deal. 

Should not be more than 3 real years.  Might have a couple BS years on the end to spread out the cap hit.

4 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Yea the only page I see posting it is also posting that wentz will be traded or released in March.

That said 2 yrs is not that bad. This qb class isn’t the best. Can’t say I believe he earned it, more like a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I think we should sign maxx waller and hunter first tho or things can get ugly. 

If we’re gonna lose one of those players Max, Waller , Jacobs , Hunter if we sign Carr to that contract. There will be holes on the team that Carr will expect to overcompensate 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

If we’re gonna lose one of those players Max, Waller , Jacobs , Hunter if we sign Carr to that contract. There will be holes on the team that Carr will expect to overcompensate 

Jacobs is the obvious one out there. He played well down the stretch this year but we can replicate his production for a fraction of the price.

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I mean, it's not like Carr has been playing on a roster without significant holes for the majority of his career. A Carr extension is money-saving in the short term. This is a big FA class in both talent and because of the new staff. And, I don't think Carr making $30+ million in 2023 onward will be too prohibitive considering the anticipated increases in the cap ceiling.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I mean, it's not like Carr has been playing on a roster without significant holes for the majority of his career. A Carr extension is money-saving in the short term. This is a big FA class in both talent and because of the new staff. And, I don't think Carr making $30+ million in 2023 onward will be too prohibitive considering the anticipated increases in the cap ceiling.

If we extend Carr at $80 million over two years and average it over the next 3 years we will have $8 in cap next year and the remainder will be taken up by the draft picks.  The extra $13 million this year plus the $33 million next year plus the $16 million from the draft and we will have $114 million in space for 2023.  That is without spending anything else this year.  A Waller extension cost about $15 million minimum over the 2 years and Crosby and Renfrow will be around $28.  Now we have $71 million and the only additions are thru the draft.  Lets say all draft picks work out and the gives us 14 new viable players.  Combined with the current roster plus Carr, Crosby, and Renfrow we would then have 32 players under contract and $71 million in cap space.  We are still walking that tight rope.  This is also assuming that the draft picks work out with no injuries.  Zeigler has a tough task ahead of him him if we are in win now mode.

• Like 1

Why would you extend Carr 2 years? Genuinely asking. 

If he clicks with McDaneils, then you have to extend him again in 2 years at an even higher price tag. 

An extension should be something along the lines of 5 years, with an out after 2 if he's not working out or they have an heir apparent in place. 

45 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I think this every time I see someone talking about trading Derek Carr for some rookie or garbage can QB so we can "build for the future."

All it took was him leaving to join a pseudo super team to make it happen. It will be interesting to see where the league goes from here. 

The Rams have leveraged all their draft capital and cap on winning now and it paid off. Stafford, Von Miller, OBJ, Ramsey all high end veteran additions.

The league is very copy cat. Will be interesting to see if teams want to replicate what they've done the last 5 years leading up to this. I think some teams will try this formula and suffer for it. 

To your point... as you are bullish on Carr. Would you want the Raiders to start leveraging years of draft picks and cap on top end veteran talent to attempt to win now with Carr? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

All it took was him leaving to join a pseudo super team to make it happen. It will be interesting to see where the league goes from here. 

The Rams have leveraged all their draft capital and cap on winning now and it paid off. Stafford, Von Miller, OBJ, Ramsey all high end veteran additions.

The league is very copy cat. Will be interesting to see if teams want to replicate what they've done the last 5 years leading up to this. I think some teams will try this formula and suffer for it. 

To your point... as you are bullish on Carr. Would you want the Raiders to start leveraging years of draft picks and cap on top end veteran talent to attempt to win now with Carr? 

Rams we’re able to leverage draft capital for elite players due to great drafting in the mid to late rounders to cover starting positions. Seems like every year they lose a key FA only to replace them with a mid rounder waiting in the wings

Just now, big_palooka said:

If it's possible I wouldn't mind trying it.  We have a lot of work to be done to get to where the Rams are with what they did.  It would be hard to find another Ramsey, OBJ, and Von Miller while drafting Aaron Donald and Cooper Kupp.