Total Take

Starchisaga

48 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Are you suggesting that the Packers signed Rodgers to an extension in 2018 expecting Rodgers to be gone after 2021 and thus that they were somehow amenable to a $17M dead cap hit in 2022?

The standard NFL contract is "3 years with a series of team options thereafter."  Rodgers will be here for 2020, and 2021.  What happens after that depends on how much Love progresses and how much Rodgers declines. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The standard NFL contract is "3 years with a series of team options thereafter."  Rodgers will be here for 2020, and 2021.  What happens after that depends on how much Love progresses and how much Rodgers declines. 

Exciting times for sure. Kind of like getting a new girlfriend.

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

Why do you guess at what I would think, and also misquote what I typed?  I suggested nothing of the sort.  In fact, quite the opposite.  

Never mind,  I guess don't need an answer.  Hope it makes you feel better.

We can have a difference of opinion without having to stoop to childish posting.    You can be happy with QB, RB, HB, no pick,  while someone else doesn't like it.   We can still be fans of the same team without having to agree on everything.

Wait, no childish posting?

Deal. Delete your last 50 posts

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

So I guess you cannot recall another situation in which an NFL team with a HOF QB who was under contract for 4 more years and that QB publicly declared he intended to play out his contract used a 1st round pick on another QB.

Neither can I.

Fact is, this appears to be an unprecedented move. 

Another Fact is that it is a move that has stirred up considerable controversy - at least outside the Packers organization (I am not privy to the inner-workings of the team as apparently some posters her are).

Based upon my recollection of what transpired when Steve Young took over for Joe Montana and when Rodgers took over for Favre as well as human nature, it would not surprise me in the least if at least some conflict ensues from this drafting decision.

Of course no one really knows what will occur, but certainly there is a greater chance of a QB controversy leading to conflict when your backup is a 1st round pick as opposed to Tim Boyle.

Then again, maybe the Love selection will fire up Rodgers and lift his game (or he will conform it to MLF's plan) and the Pack will win the next 3 Super Bowls followed by Rodgers riding off into the sunset and Love will pick up where he left off and lead the Pack to several more Lombardis and Gute will go down as the second-greatest GM in Packer history for making this decision.

Should be entertaining in any event.

Every packer should publicly declare they're playing until 40 so we can't draft their replacement

• Like 5

I really hated Gutey for all his picks initially.

After some analysis and thinking deep, I guess he has done good job. He has strongly committed to what Matt L wants and provided him with weapons. Trust is there. Mutual cooperation is there. Never felt the same way during TT - MM era. It will likely provide good results. It’s like GM Brian Belichick providing what coach Brian Belichick wants. Draft won’t be full of fancy picks, but it will get the work done. 

Matt L is very determined coach who doesn’t take the losses that easily. See his post game press conference after eagles game last year.  He wanted to win every game and do best for this organization. He want to prove himself. He want to make fans happy.

I strongly believe hiring Matt L and Drafting J-Lo is going to make this organization successful for another 10+ years at least. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

What organization with a sure-fire future HOF QB already on the roster ... has ever used a 1st round pick on another QB ... when the team's future HOF QB has declared he intends to play for at least 4 more seasons ... and the organization just signed the future HOF QB to a new contract less than 2 years earlier ... and that contract has 4 years left to run?

The winningest NFC team over the last 20 years

• Like 2

I guess the silver lining of this draft would be that we're returning the entire 2019 draft class to combine with this one. We only got contributions from two  guys,  Jenkins and Savage.

The rest although they may have seen little action they're pretty much are still rookies. We made it to the NFC championship only getting production from two rookies and Savage wasn't healthy the entire season. If the rest of the guys like Keke, Gary, Jace and Holman step up we may have something going forward.

The good thing i can say about this class, minus Love we should get good production from Dillon and Deguara. I'm not that concerned until I see the final roster. It's foolish to think Gute and his staff won't pick up some cap casualties to help us also.  

As for Minn yes they had a hell of a draft but they will have to expose a lot of them to waivers. They all won't make the 53. They drafted too many guys imo. Even if some make it to their PS wouldn't be surprised if we poach a few.

13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I was only describing what I’ve been reading from the pundits and why they are all giving GB a bad draft grade.  In most cases, they’re not grading GB on anything else but the failure to pick up a WR, which is a lazy take in my opinion.

Agreed on Wide Receiver.

You shouldn't give a bad grade just because of the lack of a receiver. Its frustrating because at this point we don't know whether Rodgers can still do most of what he has done in the past (at least in terms of results). Yes, he has regressed but the refusal to use a meaningful pick on a receiver for a very long time co-incides with the drop-off in the production from the passing game.

But if they want to go in different directions and/or they truly think Funchess is the answer and/or the receivers they wanted were taken then you can't pan the draft for that.

Draft evaluations are pointless now. But if you absolutely have to put a Grade to it then you pretty much have to say that pretty much none of the needs were addressed,   the rich receiving group wasn't taken advantage of it, the defensive line remains a problem and it seems likely that a number of picks were reaches. In short, we are maybe the only team in the NFL that doesn't at first glance look any better after the draft. I don't see how anyone could give anything other than E or the lowest grade possible. 

I'm fine with it now - I trust the head office and we have to see how it pans out. But if I had to Grade it then its an E but have hopes that it will be an A eventually.