2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

27 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

It is over. We are taking Zack Wilson. Too many things are lining up. The 49ers wanted to move up to get Wilson. Now they settle for 3. I’m sure the 49ers and Jets talked with all the links going on. The 49ers getting 3 tells mean that they tried for 2 but either got turn down or the deal was not right. The 49ers are taking Fields. I’m not a fan of these guys but I will try to be happy about it. I hope Zach Wilson is that good but man he sucked during the coastal Carolina game. If he struggles on non NFL D players I really don’t want to see what he does against an average D

I've seen a lot of people point to the CC game as a negative for Wilson.  Can someone elaborate?

His numbers don't pop off the page like some other games, but I feel saying he "sucked" is a bit of an over reaction.  

Still completed 63% of passes.  8 Yards per attempt.  Added 55 yards on the ground, his highest of the season.  

He technically had 1 INT, but it was a Hail Mary at the end of the 1st half.  So no turnovers essentially.  

Plus this game highlighted a lot of the "wow" throws that scouts seem to love, including that one crazy clip where he's rolling to his right side, and throws a rope across his body to the middle of the field.  

Plus the CC team was LITERALLY head hunting and playing dirty against Wilson, trying to fight him, etc.  Dude showed toughness the whole time.  

UCF has been a mini-powerhouse the last few years and he tore them up in their bowl game.  

Plus I understand the level of competition argument plays a part here, but some of the defenses he faced this season ranked very high in FBS.  San Diego State was #3 in the country in YPG allowed, Coastal Carolina #31, Western Kentucky #28. 

Boise State went 5-2 last season and has consistently been a top-25 program.  

So of course Wilson hasn't played Alabama and Clemson every week, but he's still played against quality opponents.  

Also, in 2019 he played some high tier schools and seemed to do just fine:

Utah game was rough

232 and 1 against Tennessee

280 and 1 against USC

277, 1 TD and 1 INT against Washington

Idk - to me it doesn't seem all that relevant.  

16 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Allen’s issues were more Accurwcy than competition. And that proved to be true. He progressed though with good coaching and BUF adding weapons for him.

No, there were definitely competition questions about Allen as well as accuracy. He had one showcase game his senior year, I believe against Ohio State, and didn’t play well. And a lot of people worried he couldn’t make all those crazy throws and perform against tougher competition. Three years later, he almost had the Bills in the Super Bowl. Either way, likes Allen, Wilson looks like a unicorn players that have unique skill sets. I’m ready to bet on that. Not play it safe. Any QB needs good coaching and weapons even Lawrence. Got to trust in JD. 

Edited by JohnnyHectorFan

3 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

I've seen a lot of people point to the CC game as a negative for Wilson.  Can someone elaborate?

His numbers don't pop off the page like some other games, but I feel saying he "sucked" is a bit of an over reaction.  

Still completed 63% of passes.  8 Yards per attempt.  Added 55 yards on the ground, his highest of the season.  

He technically had 1 INT, but it was a Hail Mary at the end of the 1st half.  So no turnovers essentially.  

Plus this game highlighted a lot of the "wow" throws that scouts seem to love, including that one crazy clip where he's rolling to his right side, and throws a rope across his body to the middle of the field.  

Plus the CC team was LITERALLY head hunting and playing dirty against Wilson, trying to fight him, etc.  Dude showed toughness the whole time.  

UCF has been a mini-powerhouse the last few years and he tore them up in their bowl game.  

Plus I understand the level of competition argument plays a part here, but some of the defenses he faced this season ranked very high in FBS.  San Diego State was #3 in the country in YPG allowed, Coastal Carolina #31, Western Kentucky #28. 

So of course Wilson hasn't played Alabama and Clemson every week, but he's still played against quality opponents.  

Utah game was rough

280 and 1 against USC

People who quote the Coastal Carolina game have an agenda against the kid. They definitely didn't watch the film or know the story. And while Wilson wasn't his best that game he did a lot of good things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

The amount of draft capital Miami has is disgusting. 

I don’t think I’ll be able to continue on with the Jets if Wilson doesn’t turn into what you guys think he will

Everyone talks about the Jets awful drafting. Miami has been no better than we have. They are ahead of us because they rebuilt first. Yes they have a ton of capital but we do too and haven't given out any crazy contracts. The divisional games are going to be really close and come down to coaching and who makes less mistakes! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Fort4242 said:

Utah game was rough

280 and 1 against USC

CC was not on the original schedule for BYU.  A team, I forgot which, wasn't able to play against BYU so BYU went to South Carolina instead.   That time CC just made it on top 25 ranking.  CC defense did good job against the unprepared offense.  It was not on Wilson solely.

Someone happily used CC as an excuse why Wilson was that bad because CC was kind of unknown to most.

4 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Everyone talks about the Jets awful drafting. Miami has been no better than we have. They are ahead of us because they rebuilt first. Yes they have a ton of capital but we do too and haven't given out any crazy contracts. The divisional games are going to be really close and come down to coaching and who makes less mistakes! 

JD and his scouting skills could be very much better with Dolphins picks. lol.

58 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Kinda my thinking now as well. JD LOVES draft picks. And if he could get that I think he would have taken it, if we were rolling with Darnold. So I do think he’s leaning toward Wilson.

whst we get for Sam is the question now

Absolutely. JD will of been pissing himself at the thought of all those picks. Only thing that’s better than all them picks...a franchise qb!!