Will 2020 Season Start In Sept?

NFL Network

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

You are 100% incorrect about this.

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

holy strawman Batman. 😂. 

and what are they doing after closing it?  You know, like right now?   Ah yes, opening it up.

Oh sweet summer child.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/the-coronavirus-mutated-and-appears-to-be-more-contagious-now-new-study-finds.html

And just like that.  They are now saying the virus has mutated and is even more contagious.   

Go and study the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.  It mutated several times.  Become more lethal.  And it lasted for nearly 3 years.  I hope to God we get this thing under control by the Fall but I think that wishful thinking.

The 2020 NFL season will most likely be cancelled.  I think folks need to mentally prepare for that being our reality.

11 minutes ago, VanS said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/05/the-coronavirus-mutated-and-appears-to-be-more-contagious-now-new-study-finds.html

And just like that.  They are now saying the virus has mutated and is even more contagious.   

this isn’t uncommon. 

Go and study the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic.  It mutated several times.  Become more lethal.  And it lasted for nearly 3 years.

and did they stop everything then?  Iirc they still played the World Series every year...

We can’t all just sit in our homes waiting for a vaccine.

I hope to God we get this thing under control by the Fall but I think that wishful thinking.

I guess it depends on your definition of “under control”.

If you mean, a “cure” or vaccine, then no.  

If you mean having resources available to deal with infections as they arise (which is why we locked down in the first place), then perhaps.

The 2020 NFL season will most likely be cancelled.  I think folks need to mentally prepare for that being our reality.

It’s certainly a possibility, but I personally put nothing past rich arses, people standing to lose millions and hillbillies that believe whatever Facebook links tell them.

I doubt we see fans in stands, but there will be a product on the field imo.  But what if it’s premature?  What if people get sick? Look around, states are already opening up, right or wrong.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 and @Shanedorf - you two are my smart guys in this, your thoughts?

We're currently 6 weeks into a lockout during which the only thing we've really missed is March Madness, and people can't handle it any more. We aren't cancelling football.

Lots of people might die and we might have to make Tuesday AM funerals a thing to make sure we can all watch the games, but we aren't cancelling football.

• Like 1

Given the stance of the Commissioner, I think there is almost zero doubt that there will be a full season. The question is not if but how.

Fans in the stands is a different question. The seats outdoor stadiums are not fairly safe, but the vending and bathrooms would not be.

J

I think it is more likely that the college season is canceled rather than the NFL.  For an NFL team they can do testing on the 100 or so people once a week.  Keeping things clean is an issue but they can deal with that.  For the college season you need to open the colleges which is a lot more people.  I do not expect a vaccine before 2021 at the earliest.  There may be better treatment before that but this virus is very risky for people.  It can do permanent damage to some organs, especially the lungs.  Not sure if any athlete wants to take that chance.

I wonder how many injuries there are going to be when play resumes. If players cannot be around the facility for that long doing their normal routine and instead working out at home with no trainers and team doctors I feel like we might see a injury plagued first half of the season if/when it does begin.

• Like 1

Considering the spread rate of this virus and restrictions being lifted, in 4 months when the season is getting ready to start we'll likely already be at a point where the majority of the country has had it. There's the Oxford epidemiologist who says over half of the UK already has had/does have the virus. France reporting that they have a confirmed case from December. Then there's the absurd rate of cases that are asymptomatic(In Tennessee there was 1200+ cases across couple prisons I believe it was, 98% of those were asymptomatic and 0% required hospitalization, in a Nashville homeless shelter 88 tested positive, all 88 were asymptomatic, at a pork plant in Missouri 370+ people tested positive for the virus, all were asymptomatic. And obviously their touching food, etc and have spread it to plenty of people who have bought the food I imagine. Gotta imagine that's the case at a ton of factories/plants producing food.

So come September, assuming this virus isn't something you can catch multiple times, we'll probably be getting closer and closer to herd immunity and the only people that will need to be staying home is the sick/elderly.

So yeah, I think it's safe to bet on there being football.

NFL's 2021 salary cap could take major hit if games are played without fans
By Zac Wassink | Last updated 5/5/20
The COVID-19 pandemic hasn't yet directly affected the NFL. Free agents signed contracts beginning in March. The 2020 NFL Draft went on as scheduled but as a virtual experience to prevent a large gathering of people. On Thursday, the league will release a full 17-week schedule set to begin in September.

Things could drastically change for the NFL if fans are unable to attend league events this year.

On Monday, Albert Breer of MMQB wrote NFL clubs could lose up to $100 million apiece in local revenue if spectators are not allowed to attend games because of the virus outbreak. The next day, ESPN's Adam Schefter explained closed-door games could drastically alter the league's salary cap during an appearance on the "MySportsUpdate" podcast:

Something to monitor: The salary cap in 2021 could potentially take a massive hit due to COVID-19. "The various estimates I've gotten from executives to owners is that the cap could be down anywhere $30M to $80M in 2021" — @AdamSchefter

Full episode https://t.co/yWz44h3j8C pic.twitter.com/FPI0fq9Prn

— NFL Update (@MySportsUpdate) May 5, 2020
Back on March 15, the NFL announced the salary cap for 2020 increased from $188.2 million per club for 2019 to $198.2 million.

According to Spotrac, the Philadelphia Eagles, New Orleans Saints and Atlanta Falcons currently have the least amount of cap space with which to work for 2021, not accounting for any projected reductions. Situations will, of course, change over the next 12 months due to cuts, trades and retirements.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 2_31928882

Unless there is an automatic mechanism (which players would never agree on) to slash salaries say 35% across the board if needed, then teams will need to cut players to fit under the cap. I was hearing this discussed on the radio this morning. But like the players would agree to anything?

So if 2020 is $198.2 million. and 2021 becomes 118.2 million, what can you afford after your $30M - $40M QB?

https://overthecap.com/what-could-happen-to-the-salary-cap-in-2021/

CBA language :

“Cancelled Games. If one or more weeks of any NFL season are cancelled or AR for any League Year substantially decreases, in either case due to a terrorist or military action, natural disaster, or similar event, the parties shall engage in good faith negotiations to adjust the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the projection of AR and the Salary Cap for the following League Year so that AR for the following League Year is projected in a fair manner consistent with the changed revenue projection caused by such action.”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Considering the spread rate of this virus and restrictions being lifted, in 4 months when the season is getting ready to start we'll likely already be at a point where the majority of the country has had it. There's the Oxford epidemiologist who says over half of the UK already has had/does have the virus. France reporting that they have a confirmed case from December. Then there's the absurd rate of cases that are asymptomatic(In Tennessee there was 1200+ cases across couple prisons I believe it was, 98% of those were asymptomatic and 0% required hospitalization, in a Nashville homeless shelter 88 tested positive, all 88 were asymptomatic, at a pork plant in Missouri 370+ people tested positive for the virus, all were asymptomatic. And obviously their touching food, etc and have spread it to plenty of people who have bought the food I imagine. Gotta imagine that's the case at a ton of factories/plants producing food.

So come September, assuming this virus isn't something you can catch multiple times, we'll probably be getting closer and closer to herd immunity and the only people that will need to be staying home is the sick/elderly.

So yeah, I think it's safe to bet on there being football.

I hope you are right.