2021 Draft Talk

swede700

47 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I still would be rather intrigued in them drafting Lance (if there at #14) and letting him sit for 2 years.  If he's there, I would say other needs be damned, because the draft is about more than filling just immediate needs.  

EDIT:  Spielman and Kubiak are 2 of the 3 that are there at NDSU today.

I'd ask you to play owner for a bit do our decision makers really have two years to wait on Lance?

Won't really be too much of benefit if they're fired after we spend our only major asset on a player who won't help add wins to the 2021  Minnesota Vikings.

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Worked out well for the Chiefs, they would have been justified in Smith as the starter, but they gambled and took Mahomes. 

And they traded up to do so.  I would be astonished if the Vikings ever did that, but if it would work out similarly, I'm sure people wouldn't be all that upset (even if they would be initially).  But, to make such a move, I would think the Vikings would have to absolutely love him as much as Reid loved Mahomes...and I'm not sure they will.  We'll have to see.

• Like 1

Just now, solidvikingfan said:

I'd ask you to play owner for a bit do our decision makers really have two years to wait on Lance?

Won't really be too much of benefit if they're fired after we spend our only major asset on a player who won't help add wins to the 2021  Minnesota Vikings.

Probably not, and that's the rub.  But, if you have faith in the kid that he can be the long-term franchise QB that this team has desperately needed for 20+ years, then it shouldn't matter (although it probably does).  Rick always preaches that his job is to plan for 3-5 years out.  This would give him the opportunity to prove it.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

I hope a QB desperate team calls and throws half of their draft at us to get this QB.

Well, if they're willing to throw half of their picks to get him, then we should be taking him.  Since we're not in a position that we should be secure with the situation as is.

Lance is a different situation than say, Mac Jones.  Based on what I've read about him, I wouldn't take him even if he is available at #14, as he's basically Kirk Cousins, Jr.

Certain teams like those bigger corners. Teams like the Seahawks, 49ers, and Steelers seem to like that bigger corner profile. I noticed that throughout my meetings. They like my body type and my versatility. They showed a little more interest right off the bat. I could feel it.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/benjamin-st-juste-2021-nfl-draft-prospect-interview

Not the Sea-chickens!

Anyone else a bit worried about the corner position?  Dantzler and Gladney had decent rookie seasons but you pretty much need 3 starting caliber corners.  If the team views Gladney as a slot corner then does that mean he starts outside and then moves inside?  Anyway you look at it there is a pretty big hole that I don't see mentioned all that much.  I can't see the team having any faith in Hughes at this point.

2 hours ago, Freakout said:

Anyone else a bit worried about the corner position?  Dantzler and Gladney had decent rookie seasons but you pretty much need 3 starting caliber corners.  If the team views Gladney as a slot corner then does that mean he starts outside and then moves inside?  Anyway you look at it there is a pretty big hole that I don't see mentioned all that much.  I can't see the team having any faith in Hughes at this point.

I think a veteran is in play for Free Agency but I wouldn't count out Harrison Hand. He has the body type of a tweener CB/Safety but I totally see him as Zimmer's project DB.

10 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

If they grade Lance out as a franchise QB they'd be foolish to pass on him if he's there at 14. 

Trey Lance will be gone in the first 5 picks of the draft after that workout.  Dude looked physically ripped, showed off a rocket arm and could easily go to the Jets at #2, Dolphins at #3 then they trade the pick or Falcons at #4.  No way he gets past Carolina though at 8 so that is as far as he could possibly fall I feel.

He had a great workout and physically he absolutely looks the part, showed off a lot stronger arm than I thought he had honestly.

So the Vikings should just put it out of their mind because no freaking way he is around at pick #14.  

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Apparently only Ezra Cleveland last year at the combine had better 3 cone and short shuttle than Radunz had here at the Pro day, Cleveland had 4.46 SS and 7.26 3 cone at the combine which is far more official and accurate than a Pro day.  Still pretty solid athletic numbers, not sure they take him #14 overall but if they trade down he is absolutely in play with the Vikings recent draft history.  I think he could play guard no question, little weak on the bench though.

9 hours ago, Freakout said:

Actually, as the Vikes showed last year, you need 5 CBs and three grocery baggers with wheels!

I like Hughes (his potential if he even comes back), Gladney and Dantzler as a trio.  I think Hand and a couple others got good experience at being educated, but really, if there's a small-school stud or a guy that's troubled/immature, maybe use that 4th/5th on another CB?  Then get another two or three in UDFA.

I really believe, the NFL today, calls for teams to expect one starter to be down and out for extended time at the CB and LB positions.  All these guys have physical skills, but real gems don't always have the size or exposure . . . what they do have is heart and brains.  That's what this team needs for depth.

Did Samuel Cosmi, the OT from TX, really just run a 4.8 - 4.88 40 and put up 36 reps?  DANG!  Now, what were his other numbers and what do people think about his tape?  It wasn't all that long ago that Aviante Collins put up numbers in those two categories . . . oh yeah, he didn't seem to develop or fit?