2021 Draft Talk

swede700

21 hours ago, swede700 said:

Well, if they're willing to throw half of their picks to get him, then we should be taking him.  Since we're not in a position that we should be secure with the situation as is.

Lance is a different situation than say, Mac Jones.  Based on what I've read about him, I wouldn't take him even if he is available at #14, as he's basically Kirk Cousins, Jr.

The vikings could view him differently.  

I'd rather not draft a player because a different team wanted him really bad

8 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Did Samuel Cosmi, the OT from TX, really just run a 4.8 - 4.88 40 and put up 36 reps?  DANG!  Now, what were his other numbers and what do people think about his tape?  It wasn't all that long ago that Aviante Collins put up numbers in those two categories . . . oh yeah, he didn't seem to develop or fit?

Yeah Aviante Collins did have 4.81 40 time and 34 reps at 225, still was a UDFA.    Then again Collins never was as talented as Cosmi was in college and not nearly as long and could not play LT.   Does show that some guys are track guys and can bench but does not mean they know how to play football affectively.

Then again maybe Collins will develop better in a different system, is with Pittsburgh now, kind of like Mike Remmers improved greatly on KC compared to his time here.  Collins problem was placement, is he a OG or a OT.  Cosmi will not have that issue.  

2 hours ago, viking said:

If trey lance is there at 14 he has to be the pick

No, he really doesn't, but then again I'm an SDSU grad😉.  Actually, Lance is a great physical specimen for sure.  Yes, he also won a national championship following Easton Stick's reign.  As long as he doesn't let his lack of failure go to his head, he may be a stellar NFL QB.  Case in point, Carson Wentz was the golden boy in Philly until his attitude got in the way of leadership roles and keeping his head.  Cam Newton's always had his critics for his lack of QB awareness and NFL game smarts.  I won't even go into the Tim Couch's and Jeff George's of the NFL.  Having God-given gifts and working so-so only gets you so far in life, much less the NFL.  

Trey Lance will have his opportunities and as long as he keeps his head, studies and works with everyone around him, he may be an All-Pro.  Heck, he may be the next Aaron Rodgers . . . sitting, waiting . . . Personally, I don't think the Vikes need him, and nor do I think they should draft a QB at #14.  The holes in the OL and DL just carry too much weight to go true BPA at this point in time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

No, he really doesn't, but then again I'm an SDSU grad😉.  Actually, Lance is a great physical specimen for sure.  Yes, he also won a national championship following Easton Stick's reign.  As long as he doesn't let his lack of failure go to his head, he may be a stellar NFL QB.  Case in point, Carson Wentz was the golden boy in Philly until his attitude got in the way of leadership roles and keeping his head.  Cam Newton's always had his critics for his lack of QB awareness and NFL game smarts.  I won't even go into the Tim Couch's and Jeff George's of the NFL.  Having God-given gifts and working so-so only gets you so far in life, much less the NFL.  

Trey Lance will have his opportunities and as long as he keeps his head, studies and works with everyone around him, he may be an All-Pro.  Heck, he may be the next Aaron Rodgers . . . sitting, waiting . . . Personally, I don't think the Vikes need him, and nor do I think they should draft a QB at #14.  The holes in the OL and DL just carry too much weight to go true BPA at this point in time.

If you think he is a franchise QB who has fallen in your lap, then you take him. Period. I don't care if the entire offensive and defensive lines get suspended for life for running an illegal NFL betting gambit tomorrow. You take the QB. Especially in this day and age. How much is Kirk going to cost us next time around for purgatory play? Too much to put a winning team around him. That's how much. Young franchise QBs on rookie deals or transformative talents who make everyone around them better: those are the paths to the Super Bowl. If you believe Lance is that guy, not only do you take him at 14, but you give serious thought into moving up a little bit. 

I think it's a moot point because he's going Top 5

Do we think we're competing for a SB this year? Lots of actually good top QBs are restructuring to make their cap hits small this year with the strike intention of staying good (ex Bucs) or getting better thru FA (Dallas/KC/Pitt).

News flash, at best we are a 1st round playoff loss team. So longterm, the quicker the team moves on to a rookie QB, the better, even if that means bottoming out. Not saying that is in Rick/Zim best personal interests, but their career interest don't align with longterm priorities regardless

Edited by CriminalMind

6 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Do we think we're competing for a SB this year? Lots of actually good top QBs are restructuring to make their cap hits small this year with the strike intention of staying good (ex Bucs) or getting better thru FA (Dallas/KC/Pitt).

News flash, at best we are a 1st round playoff loss team. So longterm, the quicker the team moves on to a rookie QB, the better, even if that means bottoming out. Not saying that is in Rick/Zim best personal interests, but their career interest don't align with longterm priorities regardless

I think every team is competing for a SB win, right?  Now, realistically, are the Vikes going to be good enough this year?  

Yes, they're talented enough to make a run, deeeep into the playoffs.  Just like the Bills last year, they'll need the stars to align a bit, plus all three phases of the game need to perform routinely at a higher, more consistent level than last year.  The Defense might, or might not, have studs back in the forms of Hunter, Barr and Pierce, and Hughes.  If they do get these guys back healthy and playing a full year, my expectation is a suffocating Top-5 defense -- anything else would really be a failure.  Like any year though, injuries can happen and/or chemistry blows-up, and with this Vikings organization, it's a long-standing tradition of emotional let-downs killing the team's run in the play-offs.  Pick one . . . Darrin Nelson's drop in '87(?) . . . the Gary Anderson kick, the Blair Walsh kick, all of Bailey's missed kicks last year cost us a shot at the playoffs, the missed tackles on Steve Young, the fumbles and picks in '09, and  . . . well, there's not a last-but-not-least, is there?

A rookie QB could help the distant future, but Rick and Zimm won't be around to see that . . . everyone knows, they're either winning with Kirk or getting fired.  The new regime won't necessarily like a rookie QB selected this year or any year under their tenure.   

If bottoming out is a 7-9 record, then we're there.  If bottoming-out needs to be Les Steckle/Leslie Frazier style, I just can't see that happening --- that happens when players quit on coaches, and coaches turn on each other to owners.  Bill Belichick and Andy Reid have the knack to keep players, across generations, performing even when things don't go right during the season.  Zimmer seems to be in that class, but like those two coaches, he's taking a long time to get to a SB.  It took Belichick 10 years as a HC to get to, and win a SB.  Reid started as an HC in '99 . . . that math requires me to take off my socks to count years.

A rookie QB may make magic happen if an injury occurs to Cousins.  That could be worth a shot at #14, but Cousins has proven durable, if nothing else.  That alone will give them pause on burning that pick on another QB.  For the record, we'll probably have this same conversation next year!  😂

6 minutes ago, Hagar said:

This may have been discussed earlier, if so I missed it...

How does Trey stack up to the potential QB class in next year's draft? (Not saying we are drafting this high next year )

It’s likely way too early to try and make a comparison. Players that are being talked about now could easily fall off, and players that no one is talking about right now could elevate.