2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

47 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  DL class is pretty rough at the top.  Some solid Day 2 prospects, but no impact players.  EDGE isn't much better.  Probably deeper, but not very top heavy.  There's no elite EDGE prospect this year.

OT's and WRs are ridiculously good this year. DL (as @CWood21 said) is thin in round 1 and decent thereafter.

DL Barmore is something of a marmite prospect, but he is built for the trenches. I like DL Levi Onwuzurike as the Packers pick at #29 and have taken him in many of the mocks I have done. CB Newsome is a fine option if he is still on the board. I will not discount a pick like WR Terrace Marshall who might be a first round target if the Packers think they might have trouble affording Davante Adams after the 2021 season.

Zaven Collins (ILB) is rather good as well, but the Packers have traditionally avoided high picks there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

DL Barmore is something of a marmite prospect, but he is built for the trenches. I like DL Levi Onwuzurike as the Packers pick at #29 and have taken him in many of the mocks I have done. CB Newsome is a fine option if he is still on the board. I will not discount a pick like WR Terrace Marshall who might be a first round target if the Packers think they might have trouble affording Davante Adams after the 2021 season.

I like Levi, just not at 29.  IF he's there with our SRP, I'd seriously consider taking him but I think he's got limited upside as a run plug.  I just don't see the anchor there.  I don't hate Newsome, but there's nothing there that I LOVE.  For me, there's nothing that separates himself from the rest of the pack.  I see a big 3 at CB with Caleb Farley (medical concerns), Patrick Surtain II, and Jaycee Horn, but beyond those 3 it is more a matter of preference IMO.  Same thing with WRs after the top of the board.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Their WR corps isn't bad.  Tyler Boyd is in Y2 of a 4 year, $43M extension and they took Tee Higgins last year 33rd overall.

True, I still think a third guy is needed but as mentioned, would be a guy I would take if someone they liked falls to the second or third and grab another guy later. They also need a TE and Pitts would be great but would be very tough to pass up on an OT for TE that high. I know they need another EDGE even with signing Hendrickson so they could look that way in the second round and I would assume they would take a look at any CB that falls. I just have a feeling the focus will be on building that offense around Burrow.

I don't know for sure how bad their IOL is but I actually would be interested to see them double down and take Sewell with their 1st and then grab a guard like Wyatt Davis in the 2nd. Then you have all new starters at tackle and guard with the signing of Reiff and kicking Williams inside. I am a fan when teams double down on OL in the draft and obviously protecting Burrow should be their #1 priority. Lastly, they are in a pretty good position to trade back especially with the depth at OT this year. 

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Rousseau is built nothing like Z. He's not a guy that can kick your *** with a bull rush and play 3T in subpackage.

He better be able to bend and win with speed cause that's his game right now.

He turned 21YO 3 days ago, he is a Redshirt Sophomore who is still growing into his frame. He is going to be drafted on potential upside, not to be Z. Smith from day one. It took Z. Smith 4 seasons in the NFL to become the player Packers fans know today. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I don’t honestly know.  I literally have not paid any attention to the draft at all this year.  My heart just isn’t in it, and I was shocked it’s already April.

I couldn’t tell you 5 names in this draft without looking them up.

I take it by your question this draft is really light on EDGE/DL talent?

Is it good in DB/ILB/OT/WR talent?

Asking for the Packers at 29.

As far as you quoting me, are you suggesting there’s NOBODY at 5 projected to be a top 5 pick at EDGE/DL/OT?

I think it’s time I look into the prospects a little bit.

For me, it's a weird draft class.  RAS scores all look higher than normal because of Pro Day tests instead of combine results.

Also...limited film on a lot of guys.

I think there are going to be a lot of "hidden jems" found around this draft.

But overall, bad year for DL.  

Good year for CB, WR, OT, S.

I think our GM of this board, @MaximusGluteus is kind of killing it (in a good way) in his mock draft for us.

59 minutes ago, R T said:

He turned 21YO 3 days ago, he is a Redshirt Sophomore who is still growing into his frame. He is going to be drafted on potential upside, not to be Z. Smith from day one. It took Z. Smith 4 seasons in the NFL to become the player Packers fans know today. 

and Z was a Day 3 pick to boot. 

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

OT's and WRs are ridiculously good this year. DL (as @CWood21 said) is thin in round 1 and decent thereafter.

Zaven Collins (ILB) is rather good as well, but the Packers have traditionally avoided high picks there.

I'm a big Levi guy as well because of his motor. You read up on his negatives and a lot of it can be coached out of him. Plus, he'd get a lot of one-on-one looks with an excellent rush coming from the outside and Kenny drawing double and triple teams on the inside. Like CWood, I'm not taking him at 29 though, I'd go with the best OT that can come in and start immediately as we don't know where Bakh is with his recovery and/or if he'll be ready for the regular season. I'd take that a step further and say that if we could use a 5th to move up in the 2nd or swap our 3rd round pick with a team drafting early on Day 3, I'd pull the trigger to get Levi there. CB seems to be a rather deep class this year with lots of good role players to be found Day 3 who would be upgrades over Josh Jackson. I'm thinking someone like a Kary Vincent Jr. that offers experience at both CB and Safety with an extreme amount of athleticism who needs a little coaching and development, but could also offer a lot on ST. Kelvin Joseph would also be a pretty decent option with Jaire as a mentor.

Zach Kruse -   What's your favorite (and realistic) combination of CB-OT-DL (in any order) for the #Packers in the first three rounds?

Replies:

In order of priority...
1st round: Caleb Farley, Asante Samuel Jr. or Greg Newsome.
2nd round: Daviyon Nixon, Alim McNeill or Levi Onwuzurike.
3rd round: Dillon Radunz, Walker Little or Jackson Carman

Zaven Collins, Creed Humphrey, Marvin Wilson
<Reply: Collins is a LB. Still wouldn't hate it though>

Samuel - nfl blue blood
Carman - 4 yr starter at LT
Shelvin - Brick wall

Newsome, Christensen, Odighizuwa
<Reply:  That will be too perfect to be real. I guess Samuel Jr - Onwuzurike - S. Brown is also a good combination>

1 teven jenkins
2 Melifonwu
3 Milton williams

Caleb Farley (assuming drop due to surgery)
Creed Humphrey
Tyler Shelvin

What say you?

• Like 1

@Joe  I agree that most of the projections for Levi are around #40, though I like him a bit more than that. He is one of the few penetrator type DLs that would fit nicely in Green Bay.

I'd have OT Teven Jenkins in an instant, if he were around at #29, but i think he's gone 10 picks before GB's turn. I do like OTs Christensen, Hudson or Little as well with a later pick, if they don't go OT at #29........but they are not plug and play guys.

Although not as good as Onwuzurike, Daviyon Nixon, Tommy Togiai and Milton Williams are possible DL targets in round 2. after that I'm not sure, Darius Stills in round 3/4, maybe ?

An almost ideal draft would be OT Jenkins, DL Williams, ILB Suratt or McGrone (ILB doesn't need to be picked there, i just think it's a potential upgrade on what we have.

Later in the draft, two of my picks would be CB Tay Gowan in the 5/6 area (I've mentioned him here before), and TE Sammis Reyes 6'5", 260 in round 7 (played basketball), who has a perfect 10 RAS score (along with C Creed Humphrey and OT Spencer Brown).

Interestingly, when E.J.Snyder (Bootleg Football on youtube, Bears fan) was asked who he least wanted to see the Packers draft, he came up with two names, C Creed Humphrey and WR Terrace Marshall.

PS @Leader that threesome you mentioned (see below) would be pretty great, imo.

1  OT Teven Jenkins
2 CB Ifeatu Melifonwu
3 IDL Milton Williams

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ReadyToThump said:

EDGE is one of the positions always worth investing in, given the value is right. 2nd most important position after QB if you ask me. If Z or Gary goes down for some time(knock on wood), and Preston is still playing patty cake out there, we'd be in big trouble. 

Who wouldn’t be in trouble if their top 2 pass rushers went down?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Probably.  There's just no consistency with him.  If you watch the second half of the season, he's likely a top 16 pick.  You watch the first half, he's a late Day 2, early Day 3 prospect.

EDIT: I'm not even sure he's going to be available at 29.

He was hurt to start the season and got healthy as the year went on. I’d be pi$$ed if we passed on him at 29. We may lose out on a good OT but that guy was a man in the championship game against a very good OL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Interestingly, when E.J.Snyder (Bootleg Football on youtube, Bears fan) was asked who he least wanted to see the Packers draft, he came up with two names, C Creed Humphrey and WR Terrace Marshall.

As a Sooners' fan, I'm not sure what about Creed Humphrey strikes "fear" into opposing teams.  He's going to be a high-end starter for the next decade, but I don't think he's an elite C by any means.  He's a solid 2nd round pick for me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MantyWrestler said:

He was hurt to start the season and got healthy as the year went on. I’d be pi$$ed if we passed on him at 29. We may lose out on a good OT but that guy was a man in the championship game against a very good OL

I wouldn't hate the pick by any means, but he's someone you're hoping that manages to take that next step a year from now.  Not someone who is going to suddenly transform the DL.  He probably enters the year as DL3 behind Kenny Clark and Dean Lowry, likely competing for the same snaps with Kinglsey Keke.