2020 Green Bay Packers OL

Shanedorf

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know if it is a small town thing, or what.  I think that only 10 of my graduating class of ~270 went more than an hour away from home for college, so that may be part of it.  

Absolutely is. I go back to that town every now and then because my dad still lives in the area, though he's moved about 30 minutes East, and I can count on seeing a dozen or so of the people I went to school with in the weekend I'm there. Whether that be at the bar or just out to dinner, I'm bound to see someone that I knew. Mind you, I moved out of that town before summer 2003. Graduating class would've been in the 40-50 range, maybe. It was 7-12th grade in the building and there was maybe 300 kids total.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Absolutely is. I go back to that town every now and then because my dad still lives in the area, though he's moved about 30 minutes East, and I can count on seeing a dozen or so of the people I went to school with in the weekend I'm there. Whether that be at the bar or just out to dinner, I'm bound to see someone that I knew. Mind you, I moved out of that town before summer 2003. Graduating class would've been in the 40-50 range, maybe. It was 7-12th grade in the building and there was maybe 300 kids total.

Wow.  I moved from Madison to Carthage MO, and I thought I was in tiny town.  I guess it is all relative to what you are used to.  And I don't mean they have to leave small towns to be better, there are plenty of very successful people in small towns.  But I do feel that as a young adult, getting away from the safety net of the parents, or the high school gang is really essential to growing up.  I don't know if some of these people don't want to take that step, or what.  Plenty of them that I knew absolutely could have, if they wanted to.

What does this have to do with the Packers OL? Former Packer draftee Allen Barbre was from the same area that I went to high school.  Did you guys know he lasted 10 years in the NFL? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Wow.  I moved from Madison to Carthage MO, and I thought I was in tiny town.  I guess it is all relative to what you are used to.  And I don't mean they have to leave small towns to be better, there are plenty of very successful people in small towns.  But I do feel that as a young adult, getting away from the safety net of the parents, or the high school gang is really essential to growing up.  I don't know if some of these people don't want to take that step, or what.  Plenty of them that I knew absolutely could have, if they wanted to.

What does this have to do with the Packers OL? Former Packer draftee Allen Barbre was from the same area that I went to high school.  Did you guys know he lasted 10 years in the NFL? 

My town was so small that, about 10 years ago, they merged 3 towns into one school. They still have smaller grad classes than I had at West Allis Central lol. 

• Like 1

With the poorest showing since the TB game the Oline knows it has to be better and be dominant if we want to get to the promised land. 5 sacks given up yesterday, mostly in the second half after giving up 14 total up to that point. Credit to Carolina’s front for being quick to the ball but the unit needs to make sure we don’t have that kind of lapse going forward. Patrick has been dinged up so if Linsley comes back, maybe he can get some time to heal up and go back to being a top notch back up for the postseason. 

The best teams will have better defense fronts so I know they won’t be perfect but the line to keep 12 clean and he needs to find a way to keep the chains moving when plan A is not working. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

With the poorest showing since the TB game the Oline knows it has to be better and be dominant if we want to get to the promised land. 5 sacks given up yesterday, mostly in the second half after giving up 14 total up to that point. Credit to Carolina’s front for being quick to the ball but the unit needs to make sure we don’t have that kind of lapse going forward. Patrick has been dinged up so if Linsley comes back, maybe he can get some time to heal up and go back to being a top notch back up for the postseason. 

The best teams will have better defense fronts so I know they won’t be perfect but the line to keep 12 clean and he needs to find a way to keep the chains moving when plan A is not working. 

Yeah I'm not sure when Linsley will be eligible to return but it would be nice to get him back before the playoffs. Haven't seen anything online about how he's coming though.

6 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Yeah I'm not sure when Linsley will be eligible to return but it would be nice to get him back before the playoffs. Haven't seen anything online about how he's coming though.

It was predicted he could make it back by playoffs.  That bye would help his chances and everyone else that is dealing with NFL in December health.

• Like 1

What is the guesstimate for when and whether Linsley might return?  Even if we don't get the bye, do we still expect him back by week one of playoffs?  And if we do get bye, is the thought that he'd not only be able to play but maybe wouldn't be too badly compromised health-wise by 2nd-week?  

If he does, without anybody else getting hurt before then, what's your guess as to subsequent configuration? 

1.  Obviously earlier in year Patrick was preferred ahead of Wagner.  So I have no reason to assume they'd configure guys differently now, or reverse the Patrick > Wagner valuation.

2. But maybe?  Wagner didn't have that much Packers film yet.  But maybe with more Wagner film, and more experience with Packers line calls and stuff, they might change their mind? 

3.  They've also been pretty free to move guys around.  But by now Turner/Wagner probably have about as much RG/RT work together as Patrick/Turner had early on?  Maybe all else equal, they'd just as soon keep Turner/Wagner together over there, instead of reshuffling four positions again?  

4.  Or does shuffling actually help, all else being equal: because opponents have less film or aren't quite as sure who they're going to match up with?  

Whatever, I'm hoping that Linsley is back and pretty healthy come playoff game(s).  When Rodgers gets really uncomfortable, that's when the passing game goes bad and the offense struggles.  I think getting Linsley back could help prevent that, to some degree.  

Edited by craig

Linsley starting to practice again bodes well for the home stretch, assuming everyone else can stay healthy.  He's a seasoned vet and I have no reservations about him jumping right back into action as long as he's cleared to go.  

I agree Turner/Wagner seems to be the preferred right side combination.  Early in the season, Wagner was dinged up and obviously had less playing time with the group.  He's had plenty of reps and has held up alright, although some of the recent breakdowns have come from his side.

If Cory is feeling spry, his experience and diagnosis at the line is second to none.  I hope for the team and for himself he has a strong finish in this contract year.

• Like 2

Cory looked great in the run game, didn’t miss a beat and I didn’t expect him to. Tougher challenge next week with Chicago D and Hicks back in the line up.  I’m excited for the test.

Wagner goes down, might be serious enough to keep him out for a while, Turner slides to RT and Patrick finds himself right back in the starting line up.  The line proceeded to kick tail like they have all season.

This is a golden era of Packers offensive football and I am definitely enjoying it!

14 hours ago, Refugee said:

Cory looked great in the run game, didn’t miss a beat and I didn’t expect him to. Tougher challenge next week with Chicago D and Hicks back in the line up.  I’m excited for the test.

Wagner goes down, might be serious enough to keep him out for a while, Turner slides to RT and Patrick finds himself right back in the starting line up.  The line proceeded to kick tail like they have all season.

This is a golden era of Packers offensive football and I am definitely enjoying it!

I'd rather see Runyan...

On 12/11/2020 at 9:58 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Agree and yes, I knew Barbre elongated his career coming here to Philly. They kicked him inside to Guard and never looked back. I believe we even made him look silly a few years ago IIRC.

I grew up in Denison, TX where we would try to steal the US 69 signs as a kid during the winter and party on Lake Texoma during the Summer. I had a similar experience to you when I moved to Maine to go to a particular undergraduate school where my dad had ties. I hated him for it because it was small and COLD; but I had a full ride and loved the East Coast. I have family back there North of and around Green Bay although several of the cousins from that wing of the family have abandoned the area due to their career paths. I know all of them would wholeheartedly agree with your non-Allen Barbre part of the post. When they "come home" they don't even bother going into any of the local bars and not to get political, but when Trump won in 2016, they thought twice about "coming home" initially...

On 12/11/2020 at 10:05 PM, beekay414 said:

My town was so small that, about 10 years ago, they merged 3 towns into one school. They still have smaller grad classes than I had at West Allis Central lol. 

So you teach at West Allis Central or did you transfer there during HS? Trying to make the connection, sorry. One of said cousins grew up around a tiny little town that sounds quite similar.

-----

Getting back to topic, anyone else noticed how clean Dillon's running lanes were? I really like watching this OL as they absolutely manhandled Tennessee's DL IMO.

Edited by Joe