Browns General Discussion

candyman93

I'd prefer to keep Landry, and I'd also prefer to renegotiate his salary. I think it's in everyone's best interests. He's not worth what we're paying him, but he's still very good and productive, and a good locker room presence. He won't make what we're paying him on the open market, so he can stay here, be on a contender, make good money, and Baker and our offense reaps the benefit as well.

As for OBJ, I understand those who believe that 2019 was Freddie's fault, 2020 was a Covid year and he was hurt, and that the offense as a whole figured it out after he was hurt and he would have been a byproduct of that success too...but it's also impossible not to notice the direct correlation between him not being a part of the offense and Baker's overall success in 2018 and the back half of 2020, including the very game vs. Cincinnati in which he was hurt.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 3

Just now, Thomas5737 said:

We spend more on OL and WR than half the league spends on their entire offense. We also pay the most to TE.

2nd lowest total on defense though. It will eventually have to even out.

I'm happy with what we pay our line, it will be interesting to see what they do with Teller. I'd love to move on from obj so we can keep teller and chubb with that money.

Drafting a replacement for bitonio, due to his age and contract flexibility is an option.

Totally random post here.

I'm sure we all remember this play.  My question: What in the world was Pgh's O-line doing?  Even if Pouncey didn't snap it over Ben's head, Sheldon and/or Myles were gonna destroy either Ben or Connor (if it was a handoff).  Maybe a screen?  But man, what an illustration of one team coming to play and the other was rusty and lackadaisical.

WC_Pouncey_bad_snap_slo_mo.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

We spend more on OL and WR than half the league spends on their entire offense. We also pay the most to TE.

2nd lowest total on defense though. It will eventually have to even out.

I think it definitely will even out. We are so offense heavy due to the past trades and free agent acquisitions to bring the offense up to snuff. We traded for OBJ and Jarvis Landry, acquired Austin Hooper, JC Tretter, and Jack Conklin via free agency. Plus we drafted Baker at #1 and Chubb in the early 2nd. All of this combined leads to a shift in money going to offense while we build depth to eventually replace some of these guys. I would be shocked if we didn't draft a WR and offensive lineman at some point in this draft and possibly even a running back. We will let some of these guys play out their contracts and leave in free agency and then let the young guys that we drafted step up to the plate.

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

I'm sure we all remember this play.  My question: What in the world was Pgh's O-line doing?  Even if Pouncey didn't snap it over Ben's head, Sheldon and/or Myles were gonna destroy either Ben or Connor (if it was a handoff).  Maybe a screen?  But man, what an illustration of one team coming to play and the other was rusty and lackadaisical.

Pouncey really screwed up on that play (ignoring the obvious). He didn’t even block Sheldon. That looked like a run play.

They probably strategically wanted Myles to prove himself as a run defender.

Edited by candyman93

1 hour ago, ReggieCamp said:

Looks like a draw to me. 

Plays like that happen when your QB doesn’t want to take snaps under center or run play action anymore. Also, your QB has a weak azz arm now when his entire career was built around arm strength.

He’s going to be like Manning his last year in Denver.

It’s why Pittsburgh isn’t a threat anymore. They will win regular season games because of that defense, but that’s it. That defense is old, so they’re screwed if they face an athletic offensive line. Yes, Ben sucked in that playoff game, but their defense didn’t do **** to stop us.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Pouncey really screwed up on that play (ignoring the obvious). He didn’t even block Sheldon.

You're not kidding.

In one play, he snapped it over his QB's head, got easily shoved aside by Richardson, and ended up losing his feet and going to the ground.

8 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

It won't save $1.5M, that is the 2022 dead cap number. The cap savings would be $13.25M

Post June 1st cap casualties are something good teams do. Get used to it.

i said the saving of am additional 1.5m. you said his dead cap goes from $3m to 1.5m. waiting to cut him to save an additional $1.5m would look pretty bad. they just looked good cutting Richardson because they are allowing him to find a team before the draft

yeah that tends to happen when vets who are aging and arent playing well and they have young studs waiting to take their spots. Landry isnt struggling on the field and the browns dont have young stud WR waiting in the wings. DPJ and Hodge look alright but they dont look good enough to move on from landry to create more opportunities for them. They are not hurting for space at the moment, so why create an issue with our WRs?

yeah cap casualties happen and understand that but cutting Jarvis would be pointless. maybe something next offseason but not this offseason

8 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I wouldn’t be shocked to see them try to renegotiate at that point.

I’d like to keep juice, he’s been solid, but he’s overpaid by a good bit.

There’s no sense in paying a slot/possession guy that kind of cash.

I just think they come to him next offseason about reworking the contract

9 hours ago, buno67 said:

i said the saving of am additional 1.5m. you said his dead cap goes from $3m to 1.5m. waiting to cut him to save an additional $1.5m would look pretty bad. they just looked good cutting Richardson because they are allowing him to find a team before the draft

yeah that tends to happen when vets who are aging and arent playing well and they have young studs waiting to take their spots. Landry isnt struggling on the field and the browns dont have young stud WR waiting in the wings. DPJ and Hodge look alright but they dont look good enough to move on from landry to create more opportunities for them. They are not hurting for space at the moment, so why create an issue with our WRs?

yeah cap casualties happen and understand that but cutting Jarvis would be pointless. maybe something next offseason but not this offseason

It's only 11.75M in savings pre-June 1st.

Between the cap savings and the dead money savings, that's $3M. 

It's bad business to disregard $3M no matter what you do.

He could always re-sign at a lower rate, but that contract is holding the team back. Just like Richardson, but there was no June 1st designation in his contract. There is for Landry. He knows this because he signed the contract. If he did not want to be a June cap casualty, if that was some great insult to him, then he should not have negotiated the likelihood of it happening into his contract. I think he's a professional though, and will take it much better than the fans will.