Browns General Discussion

candyman93

Either we watched different games or I am crazy.. It felt like our tackles were borderline turnstiles last week IMO. Jed is overrated as of now and Hance is just not cut out to be a tackle. But, Baker has his own issues too. He doesn't trust them even when they do win their matchups and he feels phantom pressure.

Edited by braylon

48 minutes ago, braylon said:

Either we watched different games or I am crazy.. It felt like our tackles were borderline turnstiles last week IMO. Jed is overrated as of now and Hance is just not cut out to be a tackle. But, Baker has his own issues too. He doesn't trust them even when they do win their matchups and he feels phantom pressure.

When you blitz more guys than the OL can block, it's going to appear that way. Truthfully, why teams don't blitz us every snap when clearly Baker can't read it or hit those hot routes is truly beyond me.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

When you blitz more guys than the OL can block, it's going to appear that way. Truthfully, why teams don't blitz us every snap when clearly Baker can't read it or hit those hot routes is truly beyond me.

Yeah that 4th down play, seems like they brought 4 on the left side and just overloaded it. 

do we have hot routes in this offense? 

https://imgur.com/a/CZrC5xj

here is the 4th down play. Their is nothing there for a hot route it seems or even just an easy pass. You watch it, you wish the play had the RB leaking out and set up for a quick dump off. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Yeah that 4th down play, seems like they brought 4 on the left side and just overloaded it. 

Correct

This is a real "chicken or the egg" conversation. Do we not have hot routes in this offense or can Baker not call them? I'm guessing since this is the 4th separate offensive system, it's more the latter and that Baker doesn't have the capability to call them.

I don't have an issue with this play in a vacuum since it's an isolated instance, as opposed to the other 60+ games body of work that I've seen from not being able to/doing a hot route concept or audible. It's infuriating. Mac Jones can do it/New England does it and he's 10 games into his career for crying out loud.

here is the 4th down play. Their is nothing there for a hot route it seems or even just an easy pass. You watch it, you wish the play had the RB leaking out and set up for a quick dump off. 

For sure, albeit I'm guessing that both of those last men on the line of scrimmage have "peel rules" that would make them responsible for the RB leaking out to their respective side.

Can't argue with you guys on these points. I definitely have major gripes with how Stefanski has handled the way pressure is ruining our offense. But, when we have no one who can beat man coverage it will certainly make beating 0 blitz A LOT harder.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Correct

This is a real "chicken or the egg" conversation. Do we not have hot routes in this offense or can Baker not call them? I'm guessing since this is the 4th separate offensive system, it's more the latter and that Baker doesn't have the capability to call them.

I don't have an issue with this play in a vacuum since it's an isolated instance, as opposed to the other 60+ games body of work that I've seen from not being able to/doing a hot route concept or audible. It's infuriating. Mac Jones can do it/New England does it and he's 10 games into his career for crying out loud.

For sure, albeit I'm guessing that both of those last men on the line of scrimmage have "peel rules" that would make them responsible for the RB leaking out to their respective side.

You raise more good points. Baker needs to learn to identify an incoming blitz and adjust prior to the snap. It's hard to know exactly what's happening without being on the field, but he clearly struggles with that.

2 hours ago, braylon said:

Its not about Jed or Conklin, they are damn good tackles, its Baker refusing to consistently climb the pocket to buy himself more time. All the edge guys do was rush high and wide because the QB is a sitting duck, hell as a DL coach, I would give my Ends free reigns to do whatever they want without fear being gashed by the QB running. My only issue is why can't Stefanski do what teams have done to Myles recently throwing the quick screen right behind Myles during pass rush situations to at least slow those guys up. 

27 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Terrible play design, why not go 700 protection and take some of those filler routes away, max protect to buy time and focus on one or two primary routes, plus look at the lackluster way those guys ran those routes smh

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Its not about Jed or Conklin, they are damn good tackles, its Baker refusing to consistently climb the pocket to buy himself more time.

Bingo

All the edge guys do was rush high and wide because the QB is a sitting duck, hell as a DL coach, I would give my Ends free reigns to do whatever they want without fear being gashed by the QB running.

Correct

My only issue is why can't Stefanski do what teams have done to Myles recently throwing the quick screen right behind Myles during pass rush situations to at least slow those guys up. 

He's been successful doing so, and we had a potential TD on that play that Baker fumbled when Stefanski read that 0 blitz earlier in the game. Beyond that, I'd also like to see some more basic "pro route" concepts like slant/shoot, double slant, hook/smash flood 1/2 field concepts on the traditional dropbacks.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's been successful doing so, and we had a potential TD on that play that Baker fumbled when Stefanski read that 0 blitz earlier in the game. Beyond that, I'd also like to see some more basic "pro route" concepts like slant/shoot, double slant, hook/smash flood 1/2 field concepts on the traditional dropbacks.

Not going to lie, the first thing I thought about was during the offseason trade a mid round pick for a great route runner like Adam Thielen to go along with a stud rookie.

And as far as the 4th down play, they could have switched the back to the other side, slid protection opposite of the back and gone slant, slant, out with the back out of the backfield and he would have been wide open 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

That I understand, it seems like that blitz was gun hoe on coming no matter what. It’s like they didn’t respect the chance of the RB leaking out cause it has never happen once. Hell having Johnson just chip and leak out might have been enough for a decent play 

Edited by buno67

9 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Looking at the record last year, and the additions in FA and the draft, it's hard to imagine us taking a step backwards.  If you felt we overachieved, then I suppose having a record similar to last year would have been understandable.

The thing is.....we actually won a playoff game, AND, took the eventual AFC champs down to the wire.  Again....hard to envision taking a step backwards from that!

Also a much tougher schedule which is what I was looking at. 

8 hours ago, MWil23 said:

In general the way you beat the overload is a pitchout to the weak side.

this could be bad coaching or Qb error

with Chubb just put him in motion let him get his shoulders square and start killing people