Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

Some. Some don't care that much about winning, just how it is. Some would rather be popular. Same with every team.

You said they were more accepting of Watson than Mayfield not that they thought they would win more. There is a difference. I would bet a lot of money that some of the guys in that locker room are creeped out by him. Which is the normal response. You certainly aren't going to say that to the media.

I'm not going to get into a quote war. Some said positive things about Baker after he left. Obviously no one is going to say anything negative about the guy the Browns just gave 235 million dollars guaranteed. I don't recall any team mate saying anything negative about Baker while he was here either. Some "liked" OBJ's stuff but if they were in his circle they probably felt compelled to. I think Garrett was put off that Baker said you can't swing a helmet at someone after the Steelers game but he never said anything publicly.

Anyway, until a lot of information comes out about Baker he is a much better man than Watson. That can't be debated.

My aunt may only have a Yelp review of 3.8 as a babysitter but I'm still choosing her over the pedophile with a 4.2 rating. He may be the better babysitter, more attentive or whatever but you know...

These guys want to get paid. Being on a winning team means a better shot at getting paid. More exposure,  more games to play. Its their job, they don't need to worry about Watsons off the field stuff. Nor should they be IMO. Can't fault them at all for looking out for #1 in the not for long league.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nugpimpen said:

These guys want to get paid. Being on a winning team means a better shot at getting paid. More exposure,  more games to play. Its their job, they don't need to worry about Watsons off the field stuff. Nor should they be IMO. Can't fault them at all for looking out for #1 in the not for long league.

Oh I get it. I don't fault them for not quitting or wanting out if they don't particularly feel real comfortable around Watson.

I was only responding to the claim that the players would rather have Watson the person around than Mayfield. I'm sure some do but take away what they think the QB can do on the football field I think the vast majority would feel more comfortable around Mayfield.

This was a football decision mostly.  I think some of it was the divided locker room that OBJ caused but there is no way to know that or how much that. Also I don't think Stefanski and Mayfield got along as much as you would like but that's speculation. 85% (made up number) of it is because they thought the team was better off with Watson throwing a football than Mayfield and that's fine. You'll take a hit but if you say everything is secondary to football and we made this choice because football at least you're being honest and you don't have to have fans trying to claim that Watson is better at being a human than Mayfield because then we just look like fools.

Make it football. Fans don't, they still take shots at Mayfield. Even Watson's camp (his personal QB coach) was taking shots at Baker during the game. It was football related but ignorant for a current player (or his "coach") to rag on a former player like they have some kind of rivalry.

After week 1 I'm not any closer to being at a place where I can watch my favorite team play. I'm salty.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

I was just saying there was division in the past.

I'm sure there are many Browns players who really wished they had a different franchise QB. No way you gather over 50 people in a room and they are all accepting of who he is. It doesn't mean that they won't do their job but but at some point emotions will overflow and there will be friction, hopefully those with a sound mind who won't outwardly support Watson will have a sound mind and not make it an issue.

I could see the team chemistry being fragile. On top of that, as with any team you will have a lot of players passionate for winning and others passionate about themselves.

I’d imagine most dudes will care most about how well he plays and how he treats them.  If he’s good and a good teammate, they’ll work around the rest of the stuff.  That’s usually how it works anyway.

If you want to know what players really think about teammates it usually takes years and after both parties are out of the league.  For example, D'Qwell Jackson couldn't stand Charlie Frye and the two had words in the locker room.  Apparently, D'Qwell felt Frye was acting as if he was a franchise QB rather than the journeyman that he was and it rubbed him the wrong way. This was a story that he publicly shared for the first time this week on a podcast.   So most of the stories of Baker or Watson and their relationships with their Browns teammates won't be revealed until after everyone involved is out the league for a while.

With respect to Baker, there are two incidents that come to mind that did not help his relationships with fellow players.  The first was when he commented on Duke Johnson's contract situation and trade request and was taking managements line.  It is a big locker room no no to comment on another man's contract situation.  Duke did not appreciate it and he is still mad about it per Duke's twitter.  My understanding from the reports at the time is that veteran players went to Baker to tell him that he breached locker room protocol.  The second incident is when he threw Myles under the bus after the helmet incident.  He dressed Myles down in public saying Myles' actions were "inexcusable" and that he "hurt the team" in a situation in which teammates felt obligated to have their teammates back.  The world was piling on Myles at the time and he needed support from his teammates and the organization. Veteran players again went to Baker and told him he couldn't throw a teammate under the bus in public.  (I will note that the Haslams made it very clear that they supported Myles.) This is where the rift between Baker and Myles began.

For me, I was surprised that Baker, who does have a magnetic personality, and can say the right things when he wants to, seems to not have mastered the political responsibilities of being a franchise quarterback, chief among which are locker room do's and don'ts.  Baker is young, so I expect he has learned and should be better in Carolina.  

As for Watson's locker room political skills, he seemed to be off to a good start in the summer, but only time will tell.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t think Grant realizes how close he is to being benched.

Nah. He wants off the team. It's in his eyes. He'll be traded for peanuts and most in this forum will call it elimination by subtraction, even though he's going to be better than Peppers if he stays healthy--big if. Folks will call Dorsey a neanderthal for trading Peppers for decent value but will applaud when the Harvard idiots get a 5th for Delpit. So is the way.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1