WASHINGTON REDSKINS - OFFICIAL NAME CHANGE THREAD

Thaiphoon

Well, being realistic here they certainly didn’t need two years to announce the name. If it truly is Commanders, which unless by some act of god it isn’t, this was the name from the beginning. The polling is the name was very low. Charles Mann said he and the other legends that they showed the name said it was terrible. Chase Young said it sucked when doing that video discussing new names and on and on.

Basically what I’m saying is this is Snyder’s toy. He doesn’t care what the fans think nor has he ever. He only includes fans in things because the league makes him. If it were up to him he’d be sitting in the stands by himself watching games while charging people to watch them from home. Coming to terms with him picking a name simply because he decided he wanted this one is why I feel it’s just about time to move on. Commanders is so bad that it makes me feel like not being a fan anymore. Sigh. Daniel Snyder sucks. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Well, being realistic here they certainly didn’t need two years to announce the name. If it truly is Commanders, which unless by some act of god it isn’t, this was the name from the beginning. The polling is the name was very low. Charles Mann said he and the other legends that they showed the name said it was terrible. Chase Young said it sucked when doing that video discussing new names and on and on.

Basically what I’m saying is this is Snyder’s toy. He doesn’t care what the fans think nor has he ever. He only includes fans in things because the league makes him. If it were up to him he’d be sitting in the stands by himself watching games while charging people to watch them from home. Coming to terms with him picking a name simply because he decided he wanted this one is why I feel it’s just about time to move on. Commanders is so bad that it makes me feel like not being a fan anymore. Sigh. Daniel Snyder sucks. 

I mean we already knew this about Snyder.  Not sure why the name changes anything.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I mean we already knew this about Snyder.  Not sure why the name changes anything.

For me, the name just kind of represents what the franchise has become. 

When they were the Redskins, we all had at least some positive association with that name from times past, before Snyder bought them. When I think the word “Redskins,” I immediately get a flash of burgundy and gold, I think about my dad and my grandparents, I think about going to RFK and about what it felt like watching them win in 1991 and about watching old NFL Films clips of the greats of that wonderful era. I think about Joe Gibbs and Darrell Green and Art Monk and the Hogs, the living legends that I watched when I was just a kid, barely old enough to know what it all meant. I just knew I was the Redskins, and they were me. That’s what “the Redskins” means to me, the very concept exists in a different space than this depressing, soul-sucking experience Snyder has created. 

I hated the name “Football Team,” but that was a means to an end. A transition to something new. It always felt temporary, just a place-holder, a footnote, not something that would end up defining my team  

This Commanders thing, though, it’s permanent. There’s no changing it, that’s what they’re going to be. And I hate pretty much everything about what they’ve done. First of all, I hate the name and the obsession with pandering to the military/nationalist sentiment. I hate that it’s unwieldy and there’s no discernible way to shorten it to create a familiar term of endearment. I hate that they took two seasons to get it done. I hate that they are, as always, completely tone-deaf. I hate that they lied to everyone and made it seem like the input of the fans and the players (including former stars) mattered, when it didn’t. I hate that they had a name that much of the fanbase was genuinely excited about, and they chose to ignore it. I hate that they are so small, and think we’re so dumb, that they sent the current stooge to try to gin up some half-hearted excuse for why they couldn’t/wouldn’t go with the public sentiment. I hate that we always HAVE a stooge to begin with. I hate that they can’t do anything right, and stuff always leaks. Often just by their sheer incompetence. And I hate that as always, it’s all just driven by money. Their desire to sell more WFT stuff before the change (big surprise the announcement came right after Christmas), their desire to avoid moderately costly litigation, their desire to have a big celebratory “tailgate party” to immediately start capitalizing on the new name. 

And the thing is, you’re right, Snyder hasn’t changed. He’s the same bag of **** that owned the Redskins and destroyed them from the inside out. But as I said before, at least I had some memory of good times and glory associated with that name. When I hear “Commanders,” all I can think about is how the Redskins are truly dead and what we have left is a shell of a franchise that has finally been fully Snyderized™️

The Redskins name was always going to be gone regardless of what happened with the new name, and I understand that. I was always going to have to transition to a new name that didn’t carry the same deep emotional connection for me. Hearing RedWolves or Hogs or Redtails was never going to immediately transport me back to my grandparents’ basement in Kensington, MD, looking at the pennants on the wall representing the Super Bowls and conference championships. Not the way Redskins did (and does). 

But the way they went about coming up with this new name, it’s not just a neutral thing for me. It has the stink of them all over it, the way they do everything. What I associate with this name when I hear it is my distaste and disgust for the people (person?) in charge of this franchise, and how they do business, and how they treat people. That’s all it means to me. So maybe one day the Commanders will change and they’ll win, and I’ll have great memories and emotional connections with that name too. I hope so. But for now, that name represents nothing but failure, disappointment, and (frankly) my own growing apathy towards the team. They don’t care, so why do I keep caring? That question keeps getting harder to answer. And that’s the thing I think about, the only thing I really think about, when I hear “the Commanders.”

• Like 7

So are we ready for this tomorrow? to realize we were played once again, and Jason was shucking and jiving us about listening to the fans?

Will someone post the announcement when it happens, because I don't want to watch the show at all. 

I keep imagining them having some people from the NC Zoo come on with the Red Wolf pups that they are raising and talking about helping to save the species and announcing the name is Red Wolves, just like the fans wanted, but i know it won't happen. I am pretty sure that is the ONE THING Jason did not lie about.

Red-Wolf-Puppies-1066131_2020.jpg

Edited by MacDog
  • Like 1

I am disappointed.  If we had to change the name again I would have preferred "Hogs" straight up to represent the past, be unique and not offend anyone.  

I actually blame the new name on Rivera.  Rivera is obsessed with the military and is not tied to our history.  If he wasn't here I think we would have ended up with Hogs. 

I just am not a fan of pandering to Washington stuff like politics or military or government, etc.  I mean heck, when was the last time we won a war anyways?  We can't even withdraw from losing a war properly.  I guess it could be worse, we could be Admirals.  Anyways...lame, but that is what I expected.  

I can’t wait for 8am tomorrow so we can just be done with just the latest winning off the field moment with this team. Wasn’t it just two years ago we were so focused on getting rid of the leaks? Nothing about this team can matter on the field until they learn how to function off the field which isn’t going to happen.

• Like 1