Are DEs ends the RBs of Defense?

cconocool

I was thinking this for a few years. On the Vikings defensive line, production along the defensive end position hasn't had a huge dip depending on who's playing. Better players do produce better stats, but it isn't a huge disparity against someone who is a back-up, paid less a fraction of what an elite player makes. 

I think if any position is the RB of defense its the "Elite Run Defender Poor Pass Rusher" position. Whether that be DE or DT I think there are similarities in how they tend to be underdrafted and sign for less than there talent seems to show. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ummmm no? 

Defensive end is the 2nd most important position in professional SPORTS

😂 

I would love to hear your argument for how it is more important than all other positions in professional sports outside of which I presume to be QB at #1.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, cconocool said:

I was thinking this for a few years. On the Vikings defensive line, production along the defensive end position hasn't had a huge dip depending on who's playing. Better players do produce better stats, but it isn't a huge disparity against someone who is a back-up, paid less a fraction of what an elite player makes. 

If there’s an lower valued position on the defensive side, it might be your “classic” run stopping 34 DE. Guys who can wreck plays but aren’t accumulating sacks. Clowney plays a different spot but we see how little run defense is valued in the grand scheme of things as lesser players can get more money because of a more appreciated skillset.

So from that perspective I could possibly get what you mean about DEs being a sort of RB position... assuming when we say DE we’re not referring to a rush end/edge threat.

As to the OP, it's all relative. LT is often regarded as one of the most important pieces on the team but if you don't have a QB behind them the position is almost immaterial. Picture perfect example of that is Joe Thomas and the Browns. 

Elite players for any position on defense can have just as much as an impact on how good they are. Doesn't matter if it's DE, DT, LB, CB or a S. 

Bottom line is that unless you have an elite QB then anything else on your team doesn't matter.

Edited by ILoveTheVikings

The draft shows what is valued.  QBs ( duh), being able to play on an island( WR, CB) and people who get the QB ( pass rush).  IMHO, a pass rushing 3 tech is more valuable than a DE.  They are harder to find and it is a much shorter path to the QB.  A 9-tech just needs explosiveness and some technique .  They are valuable but more easily replaced.

If you mean they are by committee much like bell cow backs have become a thing of the past, then yes I would agree to that. However in terms of valuing the position, an elite RB is elite for 2-5 years. An elite DE is elite for 10+ years. So no. 

• Like 2