Jaguars trade Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings for 2nd & Condtional 5th

TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Average QB play with our defense cant get us there. Our defense might be even worse than last year. 

Full of youth so I'm not going to say that. Most likely it's going to be bad, but the run D was historically bad. We'll see if guys like Raven, Smoot, etc. taking on bigger roles can help with that. Having Scho and moving Myles to weak probably will help too.

We won 6 with an atrocious D/historically awful run D and a rookie 6th round QB. So I'm not ruling it out if Minshew takes the step he has to.

4 hours ago, Billy86 said:

Good question actually. I had assumed they were going to let Cousins walk since Zimmer has shown he can do well with limited talent there so long as they're smart about turnovers, but had completely missed them extending him for two more years in March. 

You likely to see Reiff, Harris and the ever dangerous Rudolph leave. I'm sure there are some other moves that can be made like getting Theilen or Smith to redo their deals because of their age. It'll be interested to see what our Cap Guy does. He's done pretty well though for players we want to keep as fans. 

Edited by TENINCH
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Agreed.  My biggest question is what are the Vikings going to do long-term?  I believe the Vikings are sitting at just above $12.5M in cap space for this upcoming season, and $29M for next season PRIOR to the Yannick Ngakoue trade (and subsequent extension).  And you have to figure that if an extension gets done, how long before Danielle Hunter comes around asking for a raise?  He's been significantly better than Yannick, so if Yannick pushes for top EDGE money then Hunter probably won't be far behind.  And then there's the Dalvin Cook conundrum as well.  He's wanting to get paid as well.  Do you let him walk and lose one of your best offensive players OR do you pay him what he wants?

They’ll extend Ngakoue once they can. He probably doesn’t get close to top edge money unless he has an elite year in 2020 (which would be a nice problem to have).  As Packers fans should know from last years UFA signings, it’s easy to structure a long term contract so that the first year has a much lower cap hit than the AAV. If Ngakoue is getting $21M or whatever, his 2021 cap hit is probably about half that.

Hunter has massively outplayed his extension and will be next in line to get a raise by way of an early extension, probably heading into 2021 (with 3 years left on the current deal), or no later than the following year. This is the approach the Vikings have already established with other mid-career stars like Thielen and Griffen. Hunter’s 3rd contract will be tacked on to the existing deal and won’t change his yearly cap hits by much (just by the prorated signing bonus). Hunter’s current contract has already been reworked so his cap hits are higher the next 2 years (~$17M). Expect that to increase by $5M or so for a $25M signing bonus on the new deal. 

You’re too smart to wring your hands about them not paying Cook. I think they’d like to keep him if the price is right, but they’ve only offered a fairly cheap extension (under $10M AAV, so less than the franchise tag Henry was going to be playing on). Even that’s probably an overpay given the devalued RB position. Do you expect the Packers to think twice about extending Bakhtiari or Kevin King for fear of losing Aaron Jones?

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

Krauser@Krauserrific

Ngakoue’s 37.5 sacks are 10th most by age 24 (season) since 1982 (when sacks became an official stat). Hunter through 2018 was tied for 4th on this list, with 40 sacks. Hunter and Ngakoue are the only players with 35+ sacks by age 24 drafted outside the top of the 1st round.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Nice to get an elite DE like Yannick, but I just don't think adding an elite DE really means much for the Vikings. Just my two cents.

Dude Defensive End is considered the 3rd most important position in football after  QB and LT.  Adding an Elite DE across from an already elite DE (Hunter) does wonders ( see broncos with Von Miller and Demarcus Ware)  Which one are you going to Double team?  Not only that but we have a very young CB situation and this will probably help them out a lot.  Plus both ends Hunter and Ngakoue are only still 26 and 25 respectfully this year.  The Vikings may not be able to keep both but this is a win now move!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Man have you seen Jags Twitter? 

Nah, I don't see that. Did you watch the Foles of last year? Or Trubisky for that matter?

They may be more competitive than I'm leading on because of the D but their QB situation is hot garbage. Zero reason the Vikings or Packers should finish below them.

Not necessarily true ... The Packers seem to start off slower then we expect them to and always pick up steam at the right time. If that happens to be the case this year and the CDC is correct about the 2nd wave of Covid which results in a 2020 season shutdown, the Packers theoretically could finish below the Bears. 🤣

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Full of youth so I'm not going to say that. Most likely it's going to be bad, but the run D was historically bad. We'll see if guys like Raven, Smoot, etc. taking on bigger roles can help with that. Having Scho and moving Myles to weak probably will help too.

We won 6 with an atrocious D/historically awful run D and a rookie 6th round QB. So I'm not ruling it out if Minshew takes the step he has to.

So now that we released Fournette, are you still confident we will get more wins than last year? Moves like that I get but I just think it buys more time for Caldwell/Marrone

As a Packer fan I hated seeing the deal.  Yannick is a very good player and a huge addition to that defense.

After thinking about it, though, I'm less salty.  No doubt he's a very good player, but he's gonna cost them a few bodies pretty quick.  And it could hurt their efforts to bolster that offensive line.

Games are still won and lost in the trenches and that o-line is suspect at best.  Changing from Griffith (whom I really liked) for Yannick doesn't move that needle much, but it does move it some.  Shoring up the o-line would have moved it more.

Then there is the corner position.....

We shall see how it works out.  EDGE can wreck games and they've got two of them.  So does Chicago.  So does GB (and may have a third).  It's gonna be a slugfest in the division, no doubt.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

As a Packer fan I hated seeing the deal.  Yannick is a very good player and a huge addition to that defense.

After thinking about it, though, I'm less salty.  No doubt he's a very good player, but he's gonna cost them a few bodies pretty quick.  And it could hurt their efforts to bolster that offensive line.

Games are still won and lost in the trenches and that o-line is suspect at best.  Changing from Griffith (whom I really liked) for Yannick doesn't move that needle much, but it does move it some.  Shoring up the o-line would have moved it more.

Then there is the corner position.....

We shall see how it works out.  EDGE can wreck games and they've got two of them.  So does Chicago.  So does GB (and may have a third).  It's gonna be a slugfest in the division, no doubt.

We also have Ifeadi Odenigbo. He put up 8 sacks last season also.