Jaguars trade Yannick Ngakoue to Vikings for 2nd & Condtional 5th

TheRealMcCoy

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Didn't know that.  That's interesting.

Now I"m happier for the trade.  If you can get 8 sacks opposite Hunter already, easily that Yannick money and picks could have gone elsewhere for a better overall team.

Odenigbo had 7 sacks, not 8, mostly lined up as a DT on 3rd downs. He'll be able to keep that role now that they have another legitimate edge rusher.

The Vikings DE3 prior to this trade was either Eddie Yarbrough (27 years old with 1 career sack, in 2017, practice squad last year), Anthony Zettel (cut from two teams last year including the Bengals), Jalyn Holmes (4th rounder converting back from DT after an unproductive first two years) or rookies DJ Wonnum (4th round) or Kenny Willekes (7th). They would've been an injury away from needing one of those guys to play 60 snaps a game. 

With Ngakoue, they now have legitimate depth. All 3 DEs will be on the field in obvious pass rush situations. They can develop Wonnum without having to play him much as a rookie. And they don't have to roster street free agent level players like Yarbrough and Zettel.

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

All of us homers here in one place, who would have thought?

Haha.  If calling the dude, who - at 260 pounds - set combine records for DEs, more athletic than anyone on the Vikings makes me a homer, then it is what it is.  The other dude just happens to be one of the best/freakiest DE prospects of all time.

4 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Haha.  If calling the dude, who - at 260 pounds - set combine records for DEs, more athletic than anyone on the Vikings makes me a homer, then it is what it is.  The other dude just happens to be one of the best/freakiest DE prospects of all time.

Man, it was a joke. Take a chill pill, guy.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 9:58 PM, Krauser said:

They’ll extend Ngakoue once they can. He probably doesn’t get close to top edge money unless he has an elite year in 2020 (which would be a nice problem to have).  As Packers fans should know from last years UFA signings, it’s easy to structure a long term contract so that the first year has a much lower cap hit than the AAV. If Ngakoue is getting $21M or whatever, his 2021 cap hit is probably about half that.

I mean, Za'Darius Smith got $16.5M/year and Trey Flowers got $18M/year coming off 8.5 and 7.5 sack seasons respectively.  Yannick Ngakoue is setting himself up for a big payday.  Those types of FAs don't usually come available, and when they do they're going to get paid.  Let's say that $18M/year is his floor, that's still a ton of cash and there's no way to completely hide the cash.  Look at Za'Darius Smith.  His cap hit in Y1 was $7.25M, but Y2-4 are an average $19.6M/year in cap hits.  If you want a lower Y1 cap hit, you're going to see the backend of the deals skyrocketing up.

Hunter has massively outplayed his extension and will be next in line to get a raise by way of an early extension, probably heading into 2021 (with 3 years left on the current deal), or no later than the following year. This is the approach the Vikings have already established with other mid-career stars like Thielen and Griffen. Hunter’s 3rd contract will be tacked on to the existing deal and won’t change his yearly cap hits by much (just by the prorated signing bonus). Hunter’s current contract has already been reworked so his cap hits are higher the next 2 years (~$17M). Expect that to increase by $5M or so for a $25M signing bonus on the new deal. 

That's assuming that Hunter is willing to accept that deal.  But what happens if he want to scrap the old deal and completely rework his deal?

You’re too smart to wring your hands about them not paying Cook. I think they’d like to keep him if the price is right, but they’ve only offered a fairly cheap extension (under $10M AAV, so less than the franchise tag Henry was going to be playing on). Even that’s probably an overpay given the devalued RB position. Do you expect the Packers to think twice about extending Bakhtiari or Kevin King for fear of losing Aaron Jones?

I still question how effective Minnesota's offense is without Dalvin Cook. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Yannick Ngakoue is setting himself up for a big payday.  Those types of FAs don't usually come available, and when they do they're going to get paid.  Let's say that $18M/year is his floor, that's still a ton of cash and there's no way to completely hide the cash.

Sure, but a big payday that's still well below the $25M+ for Garrett or Bosa. Smith and Flowers are good comparables. Bump their numbers up for inflation, but then maybe rein them back in a bit for the Covid cap drop. Maybe end up around $20M per year, depending in part on how well he plays this season. 

I understand how backloaded deals work. Assuming the Covid situation has a much less dramatic effect on the cap in future years than in 2021, the main challenge is to squeeze the numbers tightly next year, which is fairly easy to do for a long-term Ngakoue extension signed after this season.

That's assuming that Hunter is willing to accept that deal.  But what happens if he want to scrap the old deal and completely rework his deal?

I don't know. Don't think that's going to happen, so I'm not worried about it. The Vikings have a track record of taking care of their stars. They don't rip up contracts, their extensions are always added to existing deals. They'll give Hunter an early extension with a bonus and a much higher AAV. He's basically the opposite of a diva, don't think he's going to complain about it. 

There was some similar concern trolling on this board around the implications for Thielen's contract when Diggs was extended, predicting he'd hold out. Didn't happen then, and won't happen with Hunter either.

I still question how effective Minnesota's offense is without Dalvin Cook. 

Cook's a really good running back. But you know that running backs don't matter. Kubiak has a history of success with all kinds of less impressive talents at RB1. 

I think the team will still try to retain Cook but if they lose him in favor of a blue chip pass rusher, I'll be more than OK with it. 

Do you want the Packers to pay Aaron Jones?

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:36 AM, vike daddy said:

eh, hard to say. from the player's perspective he gets a new stadium to play in, a new facility to train in, and a defensive minded head coach. fans are going to love him too.

fresh, exciting start for him.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 9:43 AM, Packerraymond said:

Yeah but he's on a tag. You have to pay him what he wants in an extension. As a premium rusher that's going to be around the same you paid Hunter.

If you do it, probably spells the end of Cook and maybe Harris.

you're saying he won't turn down big contract money for the opportunity to train in a new facility?

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 6:53 AM, KhanYouDigIt said:

Both teams got what they wanted. 

Good luck to Yan. He was a fan favorite at one point. Go win that SB, Vikes.

Or would you rather have them tank for a higher 2nd and 5th?

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 11:37 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Do you guys think Minnesota can win the division with this move, assuming Danielle Hunter comes back on time and healthy?

No. Kirk ( without Diggs) is still the QB.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 11:44 AM, .Buzz said:

Idk, the Trubisky/Foles led Bears or the Lions will be a tall task.

Truthfully I thought you had a good shot even prior. GB is obviously very solid but it's really just a two team race so I don't see why not.

I'm not so sure about that.

4 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

No. Kirk ( without Diggs) is still the QB.

I'm not so sure about that.

I'll let Foles/Trubisky prove that rather than believe that going in. I've seen plenty of both.

Idc what that defense has if the QB is incompetent and/or doesn't have adequate protection.