GDT: @ LA Rams

WizardHawk

5 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Where is the logic in going for first down on 4th and 3? A first down is not touchdown. Unless Dak completes a pass into the end zone. Yes I know the receiver didn't run his rote deep enough. But even if he did get 4 yards what difference would it make? Odds are Cowboys would still be forced to kick the FG a few plays later.

What? If they get a 1st down they have up to 4 more chances at a TD?

4 minutes ago, TVScout said:

Where is the logic in going for first down on 4th and 3? A first down is not touchdown. Unless Dak completes a pass into the end zone. Yes I know the receiver didn't run his rote deep enough. But even if he did get 4 yards what difference would it make? Odds are Cowboys would still be forced to kick the FG a few plays later.

Why would the odds suggest that? A continued drive is like an extra possession. It takes 3 FG's to exceed the scoring value of a Touchdown. They might have found themselves in another 4th and 3 or less 3 plays later and the analytics would suggest you go for that one again too

13 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Why would the odds suggest that?

Because Cowboys were having a difficult time getting into the endzone. They had the same number of FG attempts as they had TDs. They didn't actually need a TD but were more likely to score 3 than 7.  Plus the Cowboys' defense was playing better in 4th than it was earlier.

If you lived under a rock this off season and had no idea that nearly our entire coaching staffed was overhauled, I would have said that was the same staff we had for the previous 5+ years.  

Unreal how little changed, which we will find out just how quickly this new stack can actually adapt, something the prior staff could not do. 

Also, really sucks for LVE and Jarwin, sucks to lose starters anywhere but we are really thin at both those spots.  Feels like we need to grab someone off the street. 

Edited by acowboys62
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

And, where was D-Law last night? With the exception of jumping offsides to open the game and a pass deflection, he was literally invisible for the entire game.

This is a concern of mine as well.  Aldon Smith was awesome but teams will scheme for him.  Someone else up front has to step up.  It's game one and the negativity is justified.  Matt Ryan will test us.

43 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Dude looked like an animal. Guys straight bouncing off him left and right.

Yeah. He’s in much better physical shape than he was this time last year. He looked fat and slow last year. Being with the team and properly training and practicing has clearly helped him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

Advance stats actually suggest going for it with that much time left in the game (I wouldn't)

But that call is "Next Gen" progressive coaching

Sorry but that kind of gamble is exactly why Garrett is now only a coordinator. 

As i said elsewhere, stats and metrics and all that analytics is a bunch of hooplah. If it was inches, fine. It wss several yards against a D that was playing hard and physical. I dont care what the percentages are, you dont go for it there. Next gen stats are No excuse. Analytics are there to help. Not to do the coaching.

3 hours ago, Northland said:

This is a concern of mine as well.  Aldon Smith was awesome but teams will scheme for him.  Someone else up front has to step up.  It's game one and the negativity is justified.  Matt Ryan will test us.

Do you think the Rams schemed for Smith or Lawrence?? No one can rush the passer in under 3 seconds, the Rams employed that offense for a reason. Next game against Ryan the pressure will get there

• Like 1