The Raider Appreciation Thread 📈

RaidersAreOne

On 10/22/2020 at 11:35 PM, #1RAIDER FAN said:

What do you guys make of Ferrel's play this season? Interesting the call out of fundamentals which he was lauded for coming out of the draft. Sorry if this has been posted before but didn't see it.  This seemed to me (live) like Ferrell's best game. 

Definitely Ferrell's best game, he played good fundamentals but as the video points out caused disruption too. I'm absolutely fine with him not getting the gaudy stats like sacks if he plays this effectively. He will gey some effort sacks in time and maybe with Kwiatkoski back we will start to click on the whole D. Vickers was very impressive too, looks fast and very agile for a DT.

With regards to Ferrell overall this season I'd have to say I'm a little underwhelmed. This is the first real game he's put any consistent amount of pressure on the QB and I thought he'd be our breakout player this year. He is IMO playing with better leverage and looks stronger and has been decent in run play but he's never going to be a quick twitch, bendy pass rusher. He's been decent to good holding the point of attack, setting the edge and tackling but he needs to be applying pressure to the QB more each week.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:
8 catches is a damn embarrassment. I get that Gruden envisions our O as physical power running scheme centric, but Ruggs NEEDS to be featured.

Yeah he only has 5 touches in the last two weeks, we have to do a better job of getting him involved. Deep shots are nice but we need to get him the ball in space on screens, underneath routes, and end arounds, etc. 

I want to give some props to Derek Carr. I have been critical of him and imo right so. I had some early complaints about the lack of passes down field and since then we seen a way more aggressive passing attack. Easily been the MVP of the team. On pace to match or break his most passing TD's in a season(32). I got no complaints with him 

On the Ruggs subject that was my one fear with Gruden getting him. Yeah the routes downfield will be there and they have, but with a player like him you have to manufacturer the touches for behind the LOS to get the full use with him. No reason why he isn't getting a couple of jet sweeps a game or a jet sweep touch pass for the shotgun. Those are just as valuable for a player like Ruggs the those deep routes and those plays are meant to get the ball into your playmakers hands as fast as possible to allow them to make a play. Also I haven't seen one quick slant from him and that needs to change as well. Those are deadly with a player like him cause he can take it to the house. 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 5:45 PM, NYRaider said:

Yeah he only has 5 touches in the last two weeks, we have to do a better job of getting him involved. Deep shots are nice but we need to get him the ball in space on screens, underneath routes, and end arounds, etc. 

Exactly, we don't want to overplay our hand but he should be getting a couple more opportunities on screens and quick slants i feel. We've put him in motion so many times without handing him the ball, maybe we're waiting for a big moment but its a bit of a waste, I mean its not really a very convincing decoy if we dont ever use him! 

On 11/3/2020 at 12:15 AM, Ryno said:

I was all for Good replacing Gabe this season... luckily I'm not the coach as his depth and versatility have been invaluable this year!

I wanted to give him a multi year deal.  He would have been cheap and last year he showed he was worth the investment.  This year he is showing he has a much higher market value.  Not going to break the bank but it is going to cost a few million extra.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:12 AM, agarcia34 said:

I want to give some props to Derek Carr. I have been critical of him and imo right so. I had some early complaints about the lack of passes down field and since then we seen a way more aggressive passing attack. Easily been the MVP of the team. On pace to match or break his most passing TD's in a season(32). I got no complaints with him 

On the Ruggs subject that was my one fear with Gruden getting him. Yeah the routes downfield will be there and they have, but with a player like him you have to manufacturer the touches for behind the LOS to get the full use with him. No reason why he isn't getting a couple of jet sweeps a game or a jet sweep touch pass for the shotgun. Those are just as valuable for a player like Ruggs the those deep routes and those plays are meant to get the ball into your playmakers hands as fast as possible to allow them to make a play. Also I haven't seen one quick slant from him and that needs to change as well. Those are deadly with a player like him cause he can take it to the house. 

Once Ruggs got hurt Nelson came in took over his spot as the deep threat in the offense and the  Raiders are going with the hot hand.

I would really like to see the offense use both of them more but that will take time.