2020 Baker thread

Kiwibrown

9 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Another question, is Baker capable of making those around him better or is he a game manager?

We saw him elevate a less than stellar group in 2018 with good schemes, but haven’t seen it since.

I think it’s possible, but I don’t think anyone can accurately say definitively right now.  That’s what the next 15-31 games need to prove.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 6:32 PM, Thomas5737 said:

I think Baker flourishes on many NFL teams. Especially if there is continuity in the coaching staff. Baker does what Baker does extremely well. However 1st year coaches are going to make sure Baker does what they want. We need to get to a point where we use Baker how he should be used. I doubt anything has changed since the Georgia game. Let him play his game and he tears it up. Slow it down and the timing is bad and the offense looks in disarray.

He isn't Tom Brady. He needs to get it and rip it. That doesn't mean throwing all game but the tempo needs to be quick and the routes need to be quick. See it and hit it.

Haley and Kitchens essentially ran the same offense. Monken didn't call plays or install his own stuff. Baker's had two schemes..18', 19' and the one this season.

Getting it and ripping it is exactly what he wants to do..and it's what leads to his misreads and turnovers. You can't hide for long as a pro. At some point you've got to show you understand a system and can breakdown a defense or you're done.

On 9/15/2020 at 6:41 PM, buno67 said:

also with the brees. Brees didn’t start to look like the brees we have come to love until his 4th yr in the league. 

4th year..but 3rd year starting. and such a different era. Purdue spread offense Brees would dominate from the jump in the league today.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:34 PM, AkronsWitness said:

He looks hopeless because in year 3, he still can't read a defense. He looks at his hotroute  and if it's not open he scrambles.

Idk but his rookie year I remember being super impressed with his poise and ability to hang in the pocket. That all got zapped out of him and idk if he can ever get it back.

Also, because he's always panicking his footwork has gone to shiiii and his accuracy (which was his biggest positive trait) has also gone to shiiiii 

Asking him to ever be a multiple read drop back passer seems like it's a ship that has already sailed. I feel like his only hope is to find the perfect system HC and maybe that's Stefanski

agreed. but he didn't hold it long his rookie year. He was just ripping it asap regardless of the defense. Worked well until that 2nd ravens game.

20 hours ago, Onizuka said:

This is how I feel. Baker's rookie season, he didn't really have much pressure and it seemed for the most part, once Hue got let go, the coaches did everything they could to play to his strengths. I'd really like to see how this offense would be without OBJ and what seems to be the feeling of trying to force feed him the ball. The plan would work if we got the OBJ that was on the Giants where he was catching wobbly balls from Eli and/or making plays that gave him the label of "elite generational talent".

I forgot who mentioned it but I agree that Baker strives when he is constantly looking to throw it to multiple receivers instead of trying to force it to OBJ. I'm not sure what's up with OBJ (injuries, lack of drive to continue to be a star?) but he isn't the same player we were hoping to get when Dorsey got him here.

It's the same OBJ. Difference is trust. Eli, when he was on, was one of the best anticipatory QBs in the league, adept at seeing the field and throwing guys open. Baker really sucks at that. Beckham is a headcase that lets his frustrations take over. It agonizes him not to be dominating.

------

Browns offense wasn't bad at all vs Baltimore. They just sucked on 3rd down and Baker didn't play well. Defensively they went all in to defend the run and forced Jackson to beat them through the air. And he did.

The pc thing is to give Baker more time in the new offense with the chance he'll improve but I think everyone quietly recognizes Keenum would be better right now. But once you do that to Mayfield...your dead to him and he's better off somewhere else at that point.

Edited by BrownLeader
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Another question, is Baker capable of making those around him better or is he a game manager?

Another question:

Can Baker even be a game manager? I don't think that question is a low blow either. We need to see if he's even one of those three. I think you'd absolutely love Cousins, Dak, or Goff right now (and I'm not a Goff fan).

31 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Another question:

Can Baker even be a game manager? I don't think that question is a low blow either. We need to see if he's even one of those three. I think you'd absolutely love Cousins, Dak, or Goff right now (and I'm not a Goff fan).

Who knows, he’s never really been asked to manage a game, he’s been asked to go win them with his arm.

Id love to see a gameplan where he’s only asked to handoff, make a few throws here and there,  and lean on a defense for a win.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who knows, he’s never really been asked to manage a game, he’s been asked to go win them with his arm.

Id love to see a gameplan where he’s only asked to handoff, make a few throws here and there,  and lean on a defense for a win.

It almost won the 49ers a Super Bowl last year, which proved that you can still afford to have a QB who turns it over as long as they're efficient on 3rd down, completion %, and in the Red Zone to go with a power running game and multiple TE looks.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It almost won the 49ers a Super Bowl last year, which proved that you can still afford to have a QB who turns it over as long as they're efficient on 3rd down, completion %, and in the Red Zone to go with a power running game and multiple TE looks.

Yeah but we’re not setup for that.

That’s certainly what I would do tonight, but that won’t work against better teams.  Our defense will demand we score and score a lot to win.

It’s easier to look good when you’re asked to do less.  We’re asking Baker to straight up win games and have since his rookie season 

• Like 1

Some QBs take time to adjust. I mean, look back at Peyton, Roethlisberger, Brady, etc. They had TEAM success early because of better situations, but their first few years tended to be meh.

Mayfield has had 3.5 systems in 3 years. When we saw him excel at Oklahoma he had a full year to sit and learn the system (due to transferring) and then was in the same system all three years. No QB excels with constant changes early in their career. In the NFL, continuity is king (look at the teams that excelled week 1, it's the ones who rolled it back from last year).

In addition, it's pretty clear that he's not on the same page with his #1 WR and that OBJ is causing issues.

These aren't excuses, they're facts. If Mayfield is still looking lost at the end of the year, we may have a problem. But I think it's much more likely that he improves steadily throughout the year and with some continuity going into 2021 we have a real shot to compete.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but that's what I'm hoping for right now. Is it possible Mayfield is permanently broken? Yeah, unfortunately it is. But I'm still hopeful for the future.

• Like 1