Notable Stats and Observations

Hunter2_1

10 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The Patriots +89 PD through 3 weeks is tied as the highest ever since the merger.

Top 10 PDs through 10 games, post-merger

1996 Packers +89 (13-3, SB champs)

1970 Lions +89 (10-4, one and done)

2019 Pats +89 (???)

1980 Eagles +88 (12-4, NFC champs)

1991 Redskins +81 (14-2, SB champs)

2001 Packers +80 (12-4, div round exit)

2007 Pats +79 (16-0, AFC champs)

2015 Cardinals +77 (13-3, CC exit)

1973 Cowboys +75 (10-4, CC exit)

1992 Bills +73 (11-5, AFC champs)

5/9 teams reached the SB

Now I'm mad that we muffed a punt and let our backup QB throw a pick 6...

Whitney Mercilius (currently starting in Jadevion Clowney's "Edge" LB role):

13 tackles (2 TFL) 4 Sacks, 3 FFs 1 INT.

Depending on how he does this Sunday vs the Panthers, I don't see how he's not leading the DPOY vote after four weeks. He's stepped up to the plate in a big way.

Zach Cunningham has also taken a big step forward this season:

21 tackles (18 solo/ 3 TFL) 1 Sack, 1 FR.

Those two are quickly becoming the cornerstone of this Texans defense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Whitney Mercilius (currently starting in Jadevion Clowney's "Edge" LB role):

13 tackles (2 TFL) 4 Sacks, 3 FFs 1 INT.

Depending on how he does this Sunday vs the Panthers, I don't see how he's not leading the DPOY vote after four weeks. He's stepped up to the plate in a big way.

Shaq Barrett has 8 sacks, 7 TFLs and 2 FFs - really don't see how you can even consider not having him ahead of Mercilius (or anyone, for that matter) right now.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Shaq Barrett has 8 sacks, 7 TFLs and 2 FFs - really don't see how you can even consider not having him ahead of Mercilius (or anyone, for that matter) right now.

Well, when you put it like THAT...

Yeah has no idea Barrett was playing at that sort of level right now, wow.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Well, when you put it like THAT...

Yeah has no idea Barrett was playing at that sort of level right now, wow.

Yeah, not a great time be a Bronco fan on twitter. Literally every major NFL journalist right now:

"Denver Broncos let Shaq Barrett walk; he has 8 sacks through 3 games, the Broncos (as a team) have 0".

THANKS GUYS WE GET THE POINT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeah, not a great time be a Bronco fan on twitter. Literally every major NFL journalist right now:

"Denver Broncos let Shaq Barrett walk; he has 8 sacks through 3 games, the Broncos (as a team) have 0".

THANKS GUYS WE GET THE POINT.

That was my life, circa 2016 when AJ Bouye walked. 

I don't get how Von and Chubb don't have anything. Is it scheme? Are they almost getting there?

I had high hopes for that Denver D...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That was my life, circa 2016 when AJ Bouye walked. 

I don't get how Von and Chubb don't have anything. Is it scheme? Are they almost getting there?

I had high hopes for that Denver D...

0 sacks and 3 QB hits for the entire Broncos defense..... That may be the most surprising stat of the season for me. I thought Miller and Chubb were going to reach a new level this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wackywabbit said:

0 sacks and 3 QB hits for the entire Broncos defense..... That may be the most surprising stat of the season for me. I thought Miller and Chubb were going to reach a new level this year.

Me too, I thought Vic Fangio was going to unleash these two like hell hounds.

REALLY odd development.

For as terrible as the Giants defense has been, and as terrible as their pass rush was predicted to be before the season, getting to the QB hasn't really been a weakness. Markus Golden is currently top-10 in sacks with 3 and the Giants are firmly middle of the pack with 7 as a team, tied with teams like the Chiefs, Bills, and Ravens.

Meanwhile, both Deandre Baker and Janoris Jenkins are top-5 in yards allowed by a CB, ranking 3 and 2 respectively. Deandre Baker is trending up though after a really solid game against Chris Godwin on Sundy while Jackrabbit is trending down after having one of the worst days in coverage of any CB in recent memory. Mike Evans had close to 200 yards and 3 touchdowns when covered by Jackrabbit.

Browns fans after half a year of Lamar Jackson playing in an offense not tailored around his strengths as a passer: This dude will never be able to throw a football he sucks

Browns fans after Baker's poor start this year: It's all Kicthens' fault, Baker doesn't suck, the scheme isn't maximizing Baker's strengths as a passer

🤔🤔🤔

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I have to be the guy.... the guy who balances out the mahomes hysteria.

For the 2nd year in a row, Mahomes is bottom 3 in agg%. Elite qbs have to consistently throw in tight windows. 

You don't have to be that guy. Mahomes is elite and apparently doesn't have to based off that stat (that clearly isn't a be all end all stat). You don't throw for 50+ touchdowns, win an MVP, have jaw dropping arm talent, and make plays that few if any QB's in the NFL make like Mahomes routinely does without being an elite QB.

15 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

I have to be the guy.... the guy who balances out the mahomes hysteria.

For the 2nd year in a row, Mahomes is bottom 3 in agg%. Elite qbs have to consistently throw in tight windows. 

No, they don't. They have to be ABLE to throw in tight windows, but they should be avoiding doing so as much as possible.

Your top 10 QBs in highest AGG% this year are Ryan Fitzpatrick, Mason Rudolph, Daniel Jones, Josh Rosen, Matthew Stafford, Jameis Winston, Eli Manning, Mitchell Trubisky, Baker Mayfield, and Lamar Jackson. Aside from Jackson, those are bad offenses and bad QBs (we'll say the jury is out on a couple, but for the most part.) Last year was similar with a top 5 of Rosen, Driskel, Winston, Fitzpatrick, and Darnold. You don't want a high AGG%. Your ideal offense is a QB who CAN throw into tight windows, but between the QB's vision and the coach's playcalling, you don't have to.

• Like 1