So it begins, do the Bears draft a 1st round QB in 2021?

dafreak

Pace had done an excellent job in rounds 2+ of the draft but if there's one major thing I'll criticize him for it's that his first round picks have been pretty average to bad... not counting the Mack trade.

Kevin White - bust

Floyd - average 

Mitchell - looking like bust

Roquan - average

And those are all top-10 picks. 

Now hopefully we won't be picking top-10 again for a while unless it's due to trade up but his 1st round hit rate has gotta change for the better going forward.

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

How many GMs have missed on a top 5 QB and been given another shot at it? 

Not many, although "top 5" is sort of an arbitrary cut-off point. Even if you extend that to where it should be...say, "top 25", the answer remains--not many.

Why? 

In regards to Rogers, it's a classic case of poor GMing. We chose Cedric Benson when we had Thomas Jones. We chose him even though he had serious character concerns and it was a luxury pick. We had Rex Grossman who had yet to stay healthy. We could of easily justified choosing Rogers as a "luxury pick" even Thomas Jones was very productive and Rex was a question mark.

In regards to Pace - The problem is as with Angelo not enough shots at the QB position. GMs need to stop assuming they will be right, when there is an opportunity to take a QB you should get him. Packers had Favre and took Rogers, they didn't trade up he landed to them. That's smart GMing. 

Pace has taken how many QBs in the draft since he got here? That's why you should fire him.

44 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Not many, although "top 5" is sort of an arbitrary cut-off point. Even if you extend that to where it should be...say, "top 25", the answer remains--not many.

Why? 

Ozzie took a big shot with Kyle Bowler (sp) in the early 2000s to be the savior of the team. It didn't work, but he also is a HOF talent evaluator. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Ozzie took a big shot with Kyle Bowler (sp) in the early 2000s to be the savior of the team. It didn't work, but he also is a HOF talent evaluator. 

And Spielman drafted Ponder at #10 iirc. There are some other examples, too...

15 hours ago, WindyCity said:

All 3 had more success than Mitch. 

Why are you ready to give him another chance beside blind faith?

Grossman and Orton didn't have more success than Trubisky, saying they did is just revisionist history. Now I am not saying Trubisky is good but those two weren't either.

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

He was picked 17

Ponder was 12

Stretch it to top 10, GMs don’t survive busting on really high QBs.

Edited by WindyCity

27 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Grossman and Orton didn't have more success than Trubisky, saying they did is just revisionist history. Now I am not saying Trubisky is good but those two weren't either.

They did have more success. 

I didn’t say they were better players.

6 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Pace had done an excellent job in rounds 2+ of the draft but if there's one major thing I'll criticize him for it's that his first round picks have been pretty average to bad... not counting the Mack trade.

Kevin White - bust

Floyd - average 

Mitchell - looking like bust

Roquan - average

And those are all top-10 picks. 

Now hopefully we won't be picking top-10 again for a while unless it's due to trade up but his 1st round hit rate has gotta change for the better going forward.

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Fool me 4 times and ....

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

They did have more success. 

I didn’t say they were better players.

Worse winning percentages, lower TD rates, higer interception rates, less yards per game. I can see how you see they had more success, but they didn't your hatred is getting in the way like always.

5 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Worse winning percentages, lower TD rates, higer interception rates, less yards per game. I can see how you see they had more success, but they didn't your hatred is getting in the way like always.

Apologies, I meant to say we (the Bears) had more success with Grossman, Orton, and Cutler.

The Grossman, Orton, Cutler days were better for us, which is the opposite of what the post I was quoting said.

Edited by WindyCity