Steelers/Titans game Rescheduled to Week 7; Steelers/Ravens to Week 8

RaidersAreOne

16 minutes ago, 43M said:

When a team is being forced into this situation to no fault if their own, its aggravating.

I dont blame the Titans....I blame the NFL.

No team ever wants to play 3 straight road games though.  It doesn't make it any easier to do just because you were originally scheduled to play it.

A lot of "unfair" things are going to have to happen for the season to work.  Even Roethlisberger said it in reference to the Titans potentially having to play a game during a week they couldn't practice.  It would have been unfair for the Titans to have to play on Sunday with no preparation.  It would have been unfair for the Steelers and Titans to play on Tuesday then play a game on Sunday.  Anything that involves rescheduling a game (when it isn't league-wide) is going to be unfair to someone.  

That's why the fairest thing would have been to just cancel this week, but obviously they can't/aren't gonna do that.  I get the frustration and definitely think the NFL could have planned this out better, but it's something a lot of teams, not just the Steelers, will likely have to go through this season.  

In general though I think it would be more unfair to ask the Steelers to play against a team that you think may have even more positive players.  People make it seem like the NFL doesn't have the Steelers best interest in mind too.  I guarantee you that the organization had some input too.

Edited by iknowcool

Just now, SalvadorsDeli said:

This isn't really about whether the Titans can field a team or not though it's about the additional positive tests this morning creating a bigger probability that the Steelers will themselves be exposed if they played next week.

You can test 4 days in a row, Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun. Every player and coach. Everyone gets 4 tests. You will know for sure who has it. You would still be positive if exposed with no symptoms. 

27 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I agree with this. Have everyone tested both Saturday and right before the game. It’s not the Steelers fault you fools got COVID. They should be forced to play without those COVID players. Even if it’s Tannehil and Henry, too damn bad. 

Horrible idea. The tests are still picking up people as of today. So now we risk someone who wasn’t picked up in a test going to the team, spreading it and possibly having infected players infect them Steelers, so they are in a worse boat next week?

This is just begging for the season to end. 

People knew crap like this would happen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Horrible idea. The tests are still picking up people as of today. So now we risk someone who wasn’t picked up in a test going to the team, spreading it and possibly having infected players infect them Steelers, so they are in a worse boat next week?

This is just begging for the season to end. 

People knew crap like this would happen

4 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You can test 4 days in a row, Thurs-Fri-Sat-Sun. Every player and coach. Everyone gets 4 tests. You will know for sure who has it. You would still be positive if exposed with no symptoms. 

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

No team ever wants to play 3 straight road games though.  It doesn't make it any easier to do just because you were originally scheduled to play it.

A lot of "unfair" things are going to have to happen for the season to work.  Even Roethlisberger said it in reference to the Titans potentially having to play a game during a week they couldn't practice.  It would have been unfair for the Titans to have to play on Sunday with no preparation.  It would have been unfair for the Steelers and Titans to play on Tuesday then play a game on Sunday.  Anything that involves rescheduling a game (when it isn't league-wide) is going to be unfair to someone.  

That's why the fairest thing would have been to just cancel this week, but obviously they can't/aren't gonna do that.  I get the frustration and definitely think the NFL could have planned this out better, but it's something a lot of teams, not just the Steelers, will likely have to go through this season.  

In general though I think it would be more unfair to ask the Steelers to play against a team that you think may have even more positive players.  People make it seem like the NFL doesn't have the Steelers best interest in mind too.  I guarantee you that the organization had some input too.

Yep. We're already in a situation where some teams get partial home field advantage with fans in their stadium while most teams don't. This is obviously an uneven and weird season and we're just going to have to deal with stuff like this if people want to finish the season. 

If people are asking for the 'fairest' solution it's just to cancel the season and wait till we're not in a freaking pandemic to play football. I don't think most people complaining actually want that though. This is almost certainly not going to be the last time a game gets moved this year either, so I'm sure the Steelers won't be alone in getting the short end of the stick on these rescheduling. I think it was a mistake from the NFL not to build in a 2nd bye week this year though to prepare for this, who knows what happens later in the season when there isn't this much runway to find an alternative date for the game. 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

the incubation period can be as long as 14 days dude...it would have 100% been a roll of the dice to play this week. certainly after a few days + delay to monday/tuesday you're reducing the possibility of false negatives but you're not eliminating it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

the incubation period can be as long as 14 days dude...it would have 100% been a roll of the dice to play this week. certainly after a few days + delay to monday/tuesday you're reducing the possibility of false negatives but you're not eliminating it.

I certainly see the concern, and it’s a touchy subject. 

Although you will test positive during incubation, just not in the first 24-48 hours. 

52 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

There’s a pretty easy workaround with this one, play in week 7 and move the Steelers/Ravens back to week 8. Ravens bye moves forward a week 

Which is lucky. What happens if this later in the season and byes have been used. Or don't line up well?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They are doing that and finding more positives. They need a complete clean bill of double tests for 48 hours prior to allowing a team to play a game IMO of anyone who hasn't been quarantined already. Even then, you need to give the team at least a day to get back together and prep. I would say you need 48 hours of no new positives, then at least 1-2 days for them to get back together and game prep. So prior to a game played, there needs to be a 3-4 day lead time. 

29 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Given the incubation if the Titans don’t quarantine right now their week 5 game could be at risk as well. Yet there was encouragement to get together in their own. 

As long as the facilities are closed, players aren’t allowed to meet together away from the building. If that happens, yeah, toss us a forfeit loss and take away a draft pick.

• Like 2

The Titans should have been forced to forfeit the game instead of having to ruin the Steelers schedule as well. The NFL is going to say "eh it's ok this just becomes the bye week for both teams", which for the Titans, sure, might as well be. But the Steelers? They've already been practicing this week. So they now receive no actual bye week this season.

As much as it'd suck for the Titans, they should be the only team getting inconvenienced by this(or the one that's inconvenienced the most/inconvenience the others as little as possible).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The Titans should have been forced to forfeit the game instead of having to ruin the Steelers schedule as well. The NFL is going to say "eh it's ok this just becomes the bye week for both teams", which for the Titans, sure, might as well be. But the Steelers? They've already been practicing this week. So they now receive no actual bye week this season.

As much as it'd suck for the Titans, they should be the only team getting inconvenienced by this(or the one that's inconvenienced the most/inconvenience the others as little as possible).

There was never going to be an ideal way of handling this. It's a pandemic, nothing about anything in the last 7 months has been ideal. 

• Like 2