Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

6 hours ago, RandomCampBody said:

Miami have to seriously think about QB at pick 3

This is a massive over reaction. Dolphins have a Bottom 5 WR corps, and Tua is a rookie. Tua has had two really bad games, but any Dolphin fan will tell you he’s been overall better than Fitzpatrick. Fitz being good this year is the biggest misconception in the world. Fitzpatrick looks good in relief because teams prepared for Tua. 

Dolphins won early in the season because of mostly defense, and also their run game. 

Dolphins likely select a WR with their first pick.

Edited by BayRaider

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/12/28/22203256/nfl-draft-which-trade-option-would-you-prefer-for-the-49ers

Couple of different mocks have the Niners trading up to #2. Probably for Zach Wilson 

Will be interesting to see if this happens. That would be a massive trade up from what will likely be around the 15th pick

If the Jets do this, than that indicates they're still high on Darnold, or would be willing to go that low to go for a guy like Trask/Jones. 

18 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/12/28/22203256/nfl-draft-which-trade-option-would-you-prefer-for-the-49ers

Couple of different mocks have the Niners trading up to #2. Probably for Zach Wilson 

Will be interesting to see if this happens. That would be a massive trade up from what will likely be around the 15th pick

If the Jets do this, than that indicates they're still high on Darnold, or would be willing to go that low to go for a guy like Trask/Jones. 

It likely won’t happen. Would cost quite a bit

32 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This is a massive over reaction. Dolphins have a Bottom 5 WR corps, and Tua is a rookie. Tua has had two really bad games, but any Dolphin fan will tell you he’s been overall better than Fitzpatrick. Fitz being good this year is the biggest misconception in the world. Fitzpatrick looks good in relief because teams prepared for Tua. 

Dolphins won early in the season because of mostly defense, and also their run game. 

Exactly, having watched every Dolphin's game, Tua is fine, he is a rookie and made a few rookie mistakes, but has shown arm strength and accuracy. I am not concerned at this point. They should draft a receiver(s) early. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Counselor said:

It likely won’t happen. Would cost quite a bit

3 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

I've got them projected to the #13 pick. #13 to #2 is steep but they're the most, "one QB away", team in the league right now.

Very Early QB Rankings:

1. Trevor Lawrence - #1 Player in Draft

2. Zach Wilson - #5 Player in Draft (Lawrence, Sewell, Parsons, Chase). Has a chance to move to #3. 

3. Trey Lance - Top 12 Grade

4. Justin Fields - Mid 1st Round Grade

5. Kyle Trask - Early 2nd Round Grade

Not big on Mac Jones btw, looks like a Late 3rd/Early 4th type of guy to me. 

These are early and can shuffle. 

Probably my most generous QB Grades I’ve ever done. 

- Lawrence, probably end up a star Top 5-6 QB. I mean at worst he’s a Borderline Top 10 you would expect. Then again, no one is ever 100% a sure thing, so I don’t want to jinx the guy. 

- Wilson has some risk, you are more drafting him for his skillset, and molding him. However he has shown on the field he is a very smart player. I don’t value stats much against weak conferences, but his skillset of extremely good arm, extremely good mobility, good accuracy, and high IQ plays has peaked my interest. 

- I like Trey as a project pick. I’m not claiming he will become this, but his skillset has the potential to be the best QB in the entire NFL. Needs two years on the bench, and a solid offensive coaching staff. If a defensive team drafts him like Minnesota, he’s a goner. He needs someone like San Francisco, Indianapolis, Carolina, or the Rams to draft him. Lance’s skillset is pretty amazing. He has a tremendous arm, great football IQ, and his mobility is a nice combination of speed, shiftiness, and power. His pocket presence is easily the second best of this class behind Lawrence, does not get rattled by pressure, and Lance’s accuracy/ball placement is phenomenal. Great ball placement. He needs to work on getting a more consistent deep ball, but I think he’ll nail it. 

- Fields may be ranked 4th for me, but I still really like him. I think he’ll be a solid starting QB in the NFL after originally being kinda meh on him. I don’t think he’ll ever be a Top 10 QB, I think he’ll float around the 12-14 range, with a Top 10 season here and there. Kind of like a Matt Stafford career. No shame in that. 

- I like Trask more than most. Gotta go to the right scheme. Chicago, New England, and New Orleans are good fits for him. 

• Like 3

Bears could be big players in moving up for a QB as well...... Trubisky is playing decently the past few games, but his contract is up, and I don't see how we could offer him any kind of longer term deal that would be favorable vs what other teams could offer..... and the idea of spending franchise tag money on him is nauseating considering his flaws.

Nagy (assuming he's back) will theoretically want someone who can run his system.... and that, imo is Zach Wilson

Fields doesn't process fast enough

Trask is barely more mobile than Foles, and we don't have the OL (specifically OT) for that.

Lance would basically be running the exact same offense Trubisky has already forced us into. I could see him doing well in Minnesota or San Fran.

That leaves, like Mac Jones... who... uhh maybe?

So pay attention to what the Bears do with Trubisky, because the management simply HAS to make a move more confidence inspiring than Nick Foles as the starter next season. If Trubisky leaves, you can basically garuntee a big Bears move for a QB

Edit : I'd also add, just from a marketing"perspective, if you're trying to sell hope /get fans hyped up... The last bears qb to win a super bowl was from...BYU

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

If Sewell is there at 1.3 I don’t see how they pass him up.   They can get a top 3 WR with their 2nd 1st rounder.  Realize this is the QB thread though so I’ll leave it at that lol. 

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

If Sewell is there at 1.3 I don’t see how they pass him up.   They can get a top 3 WR with their 2nd 1st rounder.  Realize this is the QB thread though so I’ll leave it at that lol. 

Oh absolutely. Miami is not passing on Sewell nor should they. Better player than Chase, more important position, and OT is a need. 

Miami would hit the jackpot if they got Sewell. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Very Early QB Rankings:

1. Trevor Lawrence - #1 Player in Draft

2. Zach Wilson - #5 Player in Draft (Lawrence, Sewell, Parsons, Chase). Has a chance to move to #3. 

3. Trey Lance - Top 12 Grade

4. Justin Fields - Mid 1st Round Grade

5. Kyle Trask - Early 2nd Round Grade

Not big on Mac Jones btw, looks like a Late 3rd/Early 4th type of guy to me. 

These are early and can shuffle. 

Probably my most generous QB Grades I’ve ever done. 

- Lawrence, probably end up a star Top 5-6 QB. I mean at worst he’s a Borderline Top 10 you would expect. Then again, no one is ever 100% a sure thing, so I don’t want to jinx the guy. 

- Wilson has some risk, you are more drafting him for his skillset, and molding him. However he has shown on the field he is a very smart player. I don’t value stats much against weak conferences, but his skillset of extremely good arm, extremely good mobility, good accuracy, and high IQ plays has peaked my interest. 

- I like Trey as a project pick. I’m not claiming he will become this, but his skillset has the potential to be the best QB in the entire NFL. Needs two years on the bench, and a solid offensive coaching staff. If a defensive team drafts him like Minnesota, he’s a goner. He needs someone like San Francisco, Indianapolis, Carolina, or the Rams to draft him. Lance’s skillset is pretty amazing. He has a tremendous arm, great football IQ, and his mobility is a nice combination of speed, shiftiness, and power. His pocket presence is easily the second best of this class behind Lawrence, does not get rattled by pressure, and Lance’s accuracy/ball placement is phenomenal. Great ball placement. He needs to work on getting a more consistent deep ball, but I think he’ll nail it. 

- Fields may be ranked 4th for me, but I still really like him. I think he’ll be a solid starting QB in the NFL after originally being kinda meh on him. I don’t think he’ll ever be a Top 10 QB, I think he’ll float around the 12-14 range, with a Top 10 season here and there. Kind of like a Matt Stafford career. No shame in that. 

- I like Trask more than most. Gotta go to the right scheme. Chicago, New England, and New Orleans are good fits for him. 

The Rams don't have a first round pick, unfortunately.

See Cam Newton as to why Lance & Fields will destroy any chances of long term success for whatever team drafts them. At 31, he is already done. A franchise QB should be a 15-20 year guy, especially in 2020 when you cannot hit the QB like you used to...unless he is running.

39 minutes ago, lod01 said:

See Cam Newton as to why Lance & Fields will destroy any chances of long term success for whatever team drafts them. At 31, he is already done. A franchise QB should be a 15-20 year guy, especially in 2020 when you cannot hit the QB like you used to...unless he is running.

Sure a guy like Newton is not doing great, he also subjects himself to a ton of unnecessary hits. Wilson on the other hand that doesn't have quite as many rushing attempts/yards (but not that far off) has been just fine in that regard. As long as guys like Fields are smart when running, it shouldn't be that big of an issue. If they try to use their body as battering ram for 10 years it will catch up with them.

In regards to the 15-20 year comment, how many QB's can actually play that long? I'd gladly take a 5-10 year peak if that QB was dominant and was able to help lead my team to some deep playoff runs. That is surely worth a 1st round pick. That said, I'm not really sold on Fields and Lance being those types of impact players 

2 hours ago, lod01 said:

I don't remember calling Fields as a running qb. He is basically better all around than Dwayne Haskins but he is no JT Barrett.