Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

24 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Was that video meant to refute anything you bolded?

I just asked a simple question, how? because I've seen plenty of times where he went to 3 progressions or just checked down, these are things slow processors don't do. I'm just looking for answers for those who say he is a slow processor, I need examples...

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I just asked a simple question, how? because I've seen plenty of times where he went to 3 progressions or just checked down, these are things slow processors don't do. I'm just looking for answers for those who say he is a slow processor, I need examples...

I haven't done any cut ups myself yet but there are examples of him before Indiana struggling to get to his 2nd read. At times he's made some full field reads but it's not often imo. Lawrence has shown some similar issues as well. Imo Wilson is the fastest processor out of the top 5 guys.

The first TD pass from the video you posted could be a disaster decision in the NFL. He either doesn't see or fails to anticipate the two crossers running free into the end zone and instead rips a bullet to his covered TE. A great catch and an L from CB Kendrick bail him out. On that 6th TD bomb where it appears like he's looking off the safety toward his open TE in the flat....that exact same play and result happened vs Michigan last year. Again the TE was wide open in the flat. That reveals the look away is scripted more than Fields making a great decision. Jaw dropping throw still..and whether designed or not he's executing it, but it's different.

I think this is a great analysis of him vs Nebraska where JT shows some  strengths & flaws.

16 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

Imo Wilson is the fastest processor out of the top 5 guys.

Could it be because he isn't facing the same level of defensive minds, or talent level as other top 4 guys? He didn't exactly go against any world beaters defensively this season

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Anyone delusional enough to still pretend that Mac Jones and Kyle Trask will not be 1st round picks based on need alone.  Look at all the teams who could very well be interested in drafting a QB 1st round in this years draft.  Especially with Rivers and Big Ben most likely retiring, sure could be different if they do not but Big Ben for sure looks rough right now.  Washington is in need of a QB obviously and so is New England.  Sure they will not all take a QB but not like there are tons of great prospects out there outside of the top few.  The drop after the top 6 or 7 QBs in the draft is pretty large so teams might need to reach a little to get one.

Jaguars
NY Jets
Carolina
Denver
49ers
New England
Washington
Chicago
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh

And to a lesser extent

Atlanta
Detroit

Mac Jones is a 1st round pick, simple as that.  Trask could easily be as well with the need out there.  Now maybe Jameis Winston will take one of those spots, or Carson Wentz if he is traded some how, but there are tons of opportunities around and that list could get even bigger.  Doubt Rosen and Haskins will be taking any of those spots either.  

12 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Anyone delusional enough to still pretend that Mac Jones and Kyle Trask will not be 1st round picks based on need alone.  Look at all the teams who could very well be interested in drafting a QB 1st round in this years draft.  Especially with Rivers and Big Ben most likely retiring, sure could be different if they do not but Big Ben for sure looks rough right now.  Washington is in need of a QB obviously and so is New England.  Sure they will not all take a QB but not like there are tons of great prospects out there outside of the top few.  The drop after the top 6 or 7 QBs in the draft is pretty large so teams might need to reach a little to get one.

Jaguars
NY Jets
Carolina
Denver
49ers
New England
Washington
Chicago
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh

And to a lesser extent

Atlanta
Detroit

Mac Jones is a 1st round pick, simple as that.  Trask could easily be as well with the need out there.  Now maybe Jameis Winston will take one of those spots, or Carson Wentz if he is traded some how, but there are tons of opportunities around and that list could get even bigger.  Doubt Rosen and Haskins will be taking any of those spots either.  

Plus I'm not sure if you've mentioned him or not, but you have those wildcard guys like Trey Lance and Jamie Newman who could blow up the combine and move up higher than their current standing, or maybe intrigue one team who didn't consider them previous to the Draft.

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Plus I'm not sure if you've mentioned him or not, but you have those wildcard guys like Trey Lance and Jamie Newman who could blow up the combine and move up higher than their current standing, or maybe intrigue one team who didn't consider them previous to the Draft.

I would include both Newman and Lance in the top 7 arguably.  Well Newman I have right now as 8th and Mond ahead of him, but I agree he could rise with a good workout but still I feel it was foolish for him to sit out when sitting has only cost his draft stock to go down, it did not improve it.  Jones and Trask have obviously moved ahead of him I feel with how they have played this season.  Either way there will be a run on QBs, especially when they have been as productive as Trask and Jones have been this year.  A few weeks back some where saying those two were not 1st round talents, well it does not really matter because they will most likely both be 1st round picks with so many in need of QB potentially with possible retirements at the position.

Davis Mills has not been wildly productive but I could see teams liking his mechanics and how he throws the football.  Buechele is a hard one to read, he is really productive though and Brady White is solid, Ehlinger is very Tebow like but is probably a better passer than Tebow and Ian Book can make plays and create.   Still those top guys are far ahead of these lower guys so they will go fast.  

I would happily take Mac Jones in Pittsburgh.  I would think NE would also be another place high on him.  He looks like a pure pocket passer.  The only thing i struggle with him is quality tape with LOC.  Bama is just so far above everyone they played this year in total talent.

12 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I would happily take Mac Jones in Pittsburgh.  I would think NE would also be another place high on him.  He looks like a pure pocket passer.  The only thing i struggle with him is quality tape with LOC.  Bama is just so far above everyone they played this year in total talent.

I love his accuracy and quick release but the biggest thing I think that will hold him back at the NFL level is his lack of mobility. I think in 2021 you must have a QB that can be on the move. Even guys like Darnold, Baker, Jones, Herbert, Tua, Lock, Burrow all have better mobility than Mac Jones.

14 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Could see both of those teams being good options, also hoping New Orleans is going to consider going for him.

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I love his accuracy and quick release but the biggest thing I think that will hold him back at the NFL level is his lack of mobility. I think in 2021 you must have a QB that can be on the move. Even guys like Darnold, Baker, Jones, Herbert, Tua, Lock, Burrow all have better mobility than Mac Jones.

I think his skillset will help negate his lack of mobility. As you mentioned quick release, accurate, and seems to be pretty good reading the field finding the open guy. These traits have been crucial for a guy like Brees (especially the past few years with his limited arm strength). I generally prefer more mobile QB's in today's NFL, but I think there will always be a place for these types of "traditional" QB's.

I generally look for 3 things for the QBs

1. Accuracy
  2. Quick Decision making - this could also be tied into quick release but I like QBs to make good decisions quickly.
  3. arm strength - mainly to make the sideline throws with zip.

Russel Wilson and Drew Brees are the poster children( for me at least) for this.  I do not care about height if they have those abilities.   LOC does not matter as much if they have them.  Joe Burrow is another one that I liked solely on these measurements.