NFC East.... yeah it's that thread

Danger

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Its been a crap division for 1 season and 6 games. People need to chill out. 

Recency bias.  This forum seems full of the new breed. Time is too short, what have you done for me lately kinda crap. Give the Patriots a couple of down seasons and these young jackals will declare them “as lucky as they were good considering their Conference arrangement..”

It’s the NFL. It’s always been about the right coaches, momentum, and enough key players to win the big games to get you to the BIG GAME.  Regular season wins, stats, streaks, fanfare, flair, etc. are of a distant relevancy. 

The Lombardi is just a 3-year deodorant from criticism. THAT.IS.IT.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Other than the NFC South I don't ever recall another division that has had this issue as frequently as the NFC East and yet we keep getting it shoved down our throats. 2020, 2019, 2015 were all years where the division was BAD.

Pretty sure we are the only division in football to win at least one superbowl every decade for 50 years. The rest of you scrubs have had 10-15 year periods of suckiness through out history.

2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Pretty sure we are the only division in football to win at least one superbowl every decade for 50 years. The rest of you scrubs have had 10-15 year periods of suckiness through out history.

Congratulations for that one or two years of non-mediocrity per decade.... How has that worked out for the Cowboys in the last 3 decades? The Redskins?

Also the NFC West has had a Super Bowl winner every decade for the last 40 years. 

16 minutes ago, ///mcompact said:

Recency bias.  This forum seems full of the new breed. Time is too short, what have you done for me lately kinda crap. Give the Patriots a couple of down seasons and these young jackals will declare them “as lucky as they were good considering their Conference arrangement..”

It’s the NFL. It’s always been about the right coaches, momentum, and enough key players to win the big games to get you to the BIG GAME.  Regular season wins, stats, streaks, fanfare, flair, etc. are of a distant relevancy. 

The Lombardi is just a 3-year deodorant from criticism. THAT.IS.IT.  

Name another division besides the NFC South that has churned out as many bang average 9-7/10-6 champions... And it's not for a matter of "competition within the division."

15 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

It has nothing to do with what they've "built up" and 100% to do with the fact that they reside in 4 of the biggest markets in sports; the team's don't have to be good for their fanbases to watch (not out of loyalty but simply out of sheer size of their markets).

Thanks for your example of recency bias.  As a few posters before and after you have stated...and I’m paraphrasing, “XYZ NFCE team hasn’t done X in 20+ years! Why are they still relevant?!!”  
Watch baseball much? 

You can say the NFCE has the luxury of being in the big markets, and that’s the reason.  Lazy take.  Always has been.  

The NFCE has more LOMBARDIs than any other division, despite being “subpar” over the last 25 years. Lombardis get you fans. Fans get you everything. 

In short. Get some fans.  

Just now, ///mcompact said:

Thanks for your example of recency bias.  As a few posters before and after you have stated...and I’m paraphrasing, “XYZ NFCE team hasn’t done X in 20+ years! Why are they still relevant?!!”  
Watch baseball much? 

You can say the NFCE has the luxury of being in the big markets, and that’s the reason.  Lazy take.  Always has been.  

The NFCE has more LOMBARDIs than any other division, despite being “subpar” over the last 25 years. Lombardis get you fans. Fans get you everything. 

In short. Get some fans.  

I'm a member of the biggest fanbase in the world. I could care less about "getting fans." And don't talk to me about Lombardis. My team actually has won some recently and have more than your team. The NFC East simply gets on TV because they're in large markets; period If they were the same teams but located in Buffalo, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Minnesota respectively, they wouldn't get nearly the (inherent) ratings, nor the air time. But enjoy your ratings. Others will enjoy competitive teams (of which, at least the Eagles have a shot of being so).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Congratulations for that one or two years of non-mediocrity per decade.... How has that worked out for the Cowboys in the last 3 decades? The Redskins?

Also the NFC West has had a Super Bowl winner every decade for the last 40 years. 

In the last 20 years the Cowboys/Eagles have had the #1 or 2 record multiple times. The Eagles went to 2 superbowls, won 1. Giants won 2. Cowboys have been ridiculous Arod comebacks from advancing deep into the playoffs. 

Its literally only the Redskins whom have been a stain on the division. 

36 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

It has nothing to do with what they've "built up" and 100% to do with the fact that they reside in 4 of the biggest markets in sports; the team's don't have to be good for their fanbases to watch (not out of loyalty but simply out of sheer size of their markets).

Part of the reason we need the Cowboys out of the NFC East and in a geographically appropriate division.

44 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

I'm a member of the biggest fanbase in the world. I could care less about "getting fans." And don't talk to me about Lombardis. My team actually has won some recently and have more than your team. The NFC East simply gets on TV because they're in large markets; period If they were the same teams but located in Buffalo, Indianapolis, Cleveland, and Minnesota respectively, they wouldn't get nearly the (inherent) ratings, nor the air time. But enjoy your ratings. Others will enjoy competitive teams (of which, at least the Eagles have a shot of being so).

You said a lot.  You said that your “team” has more fans and Lombardi’s than my “team”.  You’ve ran off course of the topic, hombre:

DIVISION. BRO.  

No division has had the true parity that the NFCE has had. People eventually tire of watching a giant smashing dwarfs into the Earth with a 50lb club, 4-6 times a year. Like watching the Globe Trotters... “Who’s gonna win tonight, Martha? I think the Generals will finally pull it off!!!”

The Division is everything and all that I’ve been talking about. The NFCE is parity. Everyone tunes in to watch the pageantry.     

I don’t know what team you’re a fan of (has to be PIT or NE based on your  braggadocious comments) but you have to start getting your division in order. Get some fans. Get some self respect for your division.  Do it for the kids.  

Edited by ///mcompact

46 minutes ago, BlaqOptic said:

Name another division besides the NFC South that has churned out as many bang average 9-7/10-6 champions... And it's not for a matter of "competition within the division."

AFC South had a very rough stretch from 2014-2017, with not a single team over .500 and a combined 106-150 (41%)

1. Colts 31-33 
  2. Texans 31-33
  3. Titans 23-41
  4. Jaguars 21-43

From 2006-2010 the NFCW had 3 sub-10 win teams win division, not a single WC berth, and no teams over .500. They were a combined 126-194 (39%)

1. Cardinals 37-43
  2. Seahawks 35-45
  3. 49ers 33-47
  4. Rams 21-59

• Like 3

23 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I still think the Football Team win the division. Either 8-8 or 9-7. I'll say 9-7.

Football Team Predictions:

vs Dallas - W

vs New York - W

at Detroit - W

vs Cincinnati - W

at Dallas - W (very possible L)

at Pittsburgh - L

at San Francisco - L

vs Seahawks - W (upset!!)

vs Carolina - W (Rivera revenge game)

at Philadelphia - W

9-7. Possibly 8-8. NFC East Division Winner. Alex Smith will be the starter at some point.

I love how you put "very possible loss" next to only one game, as if that shouldn't just be a blanket statement for their entire schedule.

23 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Rivera about to go on a run like he has done many times.

Yes. With, you know, Cam Newton as his QB.

6 minutes ago, DannyB said:

I love how you put "very possible loss" next to only one game, as if that shouldn't just be a blanket statement for their entire schedule.

Yes. With, you know, Cam Newton as his QB.

Doesn’t matter who your QB is in this horrid division. 

1 hour ago, BlaqOptic said:
1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

To be fair, that 70s through the 90s were actually pretty impressive. SB wins or appearances: 6 in the 70s, 5 in the 80s, 5 in the 90s. Every team appeared at least once, three of the teams won multiple times, in every decade at least two of the teams had a win or appearance, and in two out of the three decades, multiple NFCE teams won SBs. By almost every measure, it was a SUPER relevant division with a good track record of collective sustained success. And this is without being home to the defining dynasty of either the 70s or 80s.

Post-millennium has been a bit of a different story. Sure you've had the Giants pop a couple of times, the Eagles win once and show once, but it hasn't really been the sustained excellence that the previous decades had. In fact, in my mind's eye, the most successful year-to-year eras for any of the NFCE franchises have arguably been the Philly/Reid era which resulted in one SB loss, or the Romo-early Dak era in Dallas, which has also been marked by unfulfilled potential. The Giants are a yo-yo and either miss the playoffs, go one-and-done, or randomly win the whole damn thing. And the WFT has been DOA since Clinton was in office.

I think one thing that sets the recent rut (2-ish seasons) apart from from the prior decades is, this, though, and this is just coming from a neutral observer who pretty much hates all the NFCE teams equally: Even if the excellence of the 70s, 80s, and 90s NFCE didn't carry over into the new millennium, it has pretty reliably been intriguing at least. Every year there were usually at least two teams that looked potentially dangerous. Sometimes three. I remember looking forward to NFCE primetime national games because they were often star-studded, entertaining affairs: McNabb, TO, Romo, Westbrook, Barber, Dez, Eli, Plaxico, Shockey, Witten, Dawkins, Strahan, Ware, Sheppard, RGIII, etc. I thought the games were fun to watch, and almost any permutation within the division provided a nice rivalry with real heat.

But the past couple seasons? It's just been bad. Bad football, little intrigue, no heat outside of who feels like sucking less that night. So I think people are really feeling it now, because they're all major media markets so of course they get a ton of national games, but they're frickin' chores to sit through. Lots of backlash, and for good reason. It's like if 5-6ish years ago or whatever, we had to watch the Jags, Titans and Texans all play each other a half dozen times.

Get your trashass division sorted out. I want it to at least be fun again.

• Like 1

One of them has to get on a roll at some point, don't they?

Just done that season predictor thing, came up with....

Cowboys (7-9)

Eagles (6-9-1)

Football Team (5-11)

Giants (4-12)

But for that to work, both PHI and DAL will have to take wins off NYG/WFT. A lot of inter-div games coming up

5 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

AFC South had a very rough stretch from 2014-2017, with not a single team over .500 and a combined 106-150 (41%)

1. Colts 31-33 
  2. Texans 31-33
  3. Titans 23-41
  4. Jaguars 21-43

From 2006-2010 the NFCW had 3 sub-10 win teams win division, not a single WC berth, and no teams over .500. They were a combined 126-194 (39%)

1. Cardinals 37-43
  2. Seahawks 35-45
  3. 49ers 33-47
  4. Rams 21-59

Liking this post didn't do it justice enough. So here's a 2nd helping. NFL runs in cycles. Unfortunately right now the NFCE is next up.