2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Man, the Jaguars have Trevor Lawrence in the bag. This isn't him having Tebow/Orton (yes, I realize he was part of bringing Tebow in) or an over the hill Cam Newton.

McDaniels has his questions/issues. Not going to act like if we hire him I'd have my reservations. But again, Ballard had his selection of pretty much anyone and they ended up on McDaniels as well before having to change direction when he passed. He's going to get a gig when he wants one.

Also Joe Judge looks to me like he's going to be a terrific coach as well from the Belichek tree. But yes, I am aware of the failures.

First, I think he is the heir-apparent in New England, it’s just how long does he want to wait around for BB to retire but I almost guarantee that job would be his if he’s on the staff when BB steps down. Or, I could easily see him pulling a BB and taking another job only to resign with a 7-word note on a napkin the second the NE job opens up, just like BB did with the Jets.

Two, Joe Judge has demonstrated almost all the same traits as McDaniels, Mangini, BoB and Patricia, the only thing going for the Giants is they play in the NFCE where 3 of their 5 wins this year have come from. They also have a strong GM (even if he’s not a good GM, he’s strong) and Judge doesn’t get throw his weight around as much as he would if left totally unfettered, getting into a literal fist fight with his OL Coach notwithstanding. 

The saving grace Jax would have with McDaniels is that Lawrence could play in virtually any offense; he’s not a gimmick offense college QB who McD would try to force into his scheme. Lawrence could run the Brady offense, which is exactly what McD would try to make him do. 

I’ll just say it, I’m rooting for Lawrence and I’m rooting for Jax, so the last thing I want to see if for the franchise to go down the New England route and see it all blow up in their faces. 

24 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Not saying they'll be in consideration, but just going off the top of my head as to who would fulfill the criteria: Leslie Frazier, Jay Gruden (in-house, but I would have assumed they would have given him a shot as interim if this were the case), Pat Shurmur, Steve Spagnuolo, Chuck Pagano, Dan Campbell, Dennis Allen, The Clapper (though not sure why anyone would want to hire him), Marvin Lewis is probably going to get strong consideration, McDaniels, Chan Gailey, Norv (it could happen), Herm Edwards (doubt it, but he has been having some solid success at ASU - though it would be a shame for them to lose him).

48 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Urban, Marvin Lewis, Jim Caldwell (I'm a fan of all 3). Maybe Josh McDaniels, although I know fans hate him for the DEN days/passing on Indy, he seems highly viewed in the industry and has been linked to us before.

Not sure who else without doing a dive.

Garrett was looking a lot better a few weeks ago when the Cowboys were trending towards 3-13. Now they're 6-10/7-9 with their backup for majority of the season, so the 8-8 he accomplished with Dak doesn't look as good. 

Of all the names listed, I think Marvin Lewis would be the best bet. The Bengals have been a trainwreck before and after him. He can help build that Jags D, probably keep Jay Gruden as OC for a while too. 

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Garrett was looking a lot better a few weeks ago when the Cowboys were trending towards 3-13. Now they're 6-10/7-9 with their backup for majority of the season, so the 8-8 he accomplished with Dak doesn't look as good. 

Of all the names listed, I think Marvin Lewis would be the best bet. The Bengals have been a trainwreck before and after him. He can help build that Jags D, probably keep Jay Gruden as OC for a while too. 

Depends on if, as @AnAngryAmerican said, the Jags empower Marvin as a monolith.  Marvin is definitely capable of being the HC with personnel stroke (God knows he did it in Cincy, in spite of Mike Brown), but he doesn't strike me as the sort that's going to work terribly well if he's wanting/promised personnel influence and being told to work with a GM that thinks he's a fully-empowered GM.

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

With Lawrence in the bag, I'm not ruling out Dabo until he shoots it down either.

Lol Dabo is staying in college. Jax is a great job—as great of an NFL job that will ever be open. But he’s not leaving Clemson.

You guys should go after a defensive minded HC and let Lawrence run the O. You’d think Lawrence would have that offense running pretty well, but that defense, while talented, needs a lot of guidance. 

5 minutes ago, QBIso said:

Lol Dabo is staying in college. Jax is a great job—as great of an NFL job that will ever be open. But he’s not leaving Clemson.

I don't see it happening. Just saying if ever there was a time to try making the leap this would be it.

Not even sure how I feel about him in the pros personally.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Depends on if, as @AnAngryAmerican said, the Jags empower Marvin as a monolith.  Marvin is definitely capable of being the HC with personnel stroke (God knows he did it in Cincy, in spite of Mike Brown), but he doesn't strike me as the sort that's going to work terribly well if he's wanting/promised personnel influence and being told to work with a GM that thinks he's a fully-empowered GM.

I definitely feel the "GM gets hired, then hires the HC" style seems very old school. Feels like most situations are now equal GM-HC partnerships, or situations where the HC chooses their GM. 

I mean, i'm pretty sure Shanny is the most powerful person in the Niners org not named Jed York or Paraag Marathe. He basically chose John Lynch as his GM. And still, the GM seems like more of a collaboration of John Lynch/Adam Peters/Martin Mayhew, with Shanny having control on who to choose on offense. 

Ron Rivera has to be the most important person in WFT's FO, besides Dan Snyder obv. Same with Matt Rhule & David Tepper

Yet, a guy like Joe Judge is clearly #2 to David Gettleman

Will be interesting to see what happens with the Jags (& other) jobs this offseason. 

FTR, i still think the Jags best play is a trio of Adam Peters/Robert Saleh/Mike McDaniel. 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, tannenballs said:

I'll go ahead and update these as well. 

HOU- hire Brian Daboll
JAX- hire Eric Bieniemy
LAC- hire Joe Brady
NYJ- hire Matt Campbell
DET- hire Robert Saleh
ATL- retain Raheem Morris

*still undecided on Chicago but if it opens then Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  

Joe Brady is intriguing and possibly an upgrade over Lynn. But I still prefer Daboll, Saleh, or even Caldwell over Brady.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Put nothing past the Spanos family.  They literally are that stupid that they would give Anthony Lynn a pass for the travesty that was this season because of COVID and a few wins to close the season (where he still did his best to lose those games by playing to "not lose").

Playing not to lose? I see it as them subconsciously trying to make up for the fact that they fired Marty and wanted to bring the same type of HC back lol.

42 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Jags should go after Kellen Moore before he leaves us for Boise. 

It'd be a great get for Kellen to go to a major non P5 school like that, but if he holds out another year or two, he very well could be an NFL HC. I don't think it actually happens this year (but I also said the same thing about McVay). I also think Brady is a year or two away before someone takes a shot.

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Jags will hire Urban Meyer and draft Justin Fields. Book it. 

Sorry. It's 100% Trevor Lawrence. 

Trust me, I would love your prediction to come true, but that train left the station once NYJ beat LAR.

My only hope is that Jax either hires Dabo Swinney or keeps Doug Marrone...

14 hours ago, tannenballs said:

I'll go ahead and update these as well. 

HOU- hire Brian Daboll
JAX- hire Eric Bieniemy
LAC- hire Joe Brady
NYJ- hire Matt Campbell
DET- hire Robert Saleh
ATL- retain Raheem Morris

*still undecided on Chicago but if it opens then Pat Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  

Bowles and Morris both seem very unlikely. If you ask me if Daboll, Bienemy and Brady are all done, Then the Falcons swooping in for Josh McDaniels with a strong GM in place makes the most sense.