Week 11 Post game: IT'S ALL BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE TYLER ERVIN I SWEAR

Norm

23 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Nothing is going to change because the problems on this team aren't fixable by cutting a Shepherd, which we won't do anyways. It starts with a below-average GM who did nothing to help his team this past off-season and has once again failed in-season to do his job. Then you have the issue of sticking with a DC who everyone knew had to go but that's not the Packer way to fire a guy so early in his tenure so we're stuck with Pettine, and we decided to close our eyes and pretend something different will happen. Finally, you have a ST coordinator who isnt qualified to be in the NFL, but he's our guy because he was a dollar store pickup. MLF wanted Rizzi, one of the best, and Murphy shot it down because it cost too much. Again, very much the Packer way of doing things. 

Imagine where this team might be right now if they simply would have made the off-season change at DC and gotten a few competent moves from their GM...

So perhaps instead of ragging on MLF we should be upset with Murphy.   "Too many cooks spoil the broth."  MLF should have total control on who his assistants are.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Nothing is going to change because the problems on this team aren't fixable by cutting a Shepherd, which we won't do anyways. It starts with a below-average GM who did nothing to help his team this past off-season and has once again failed in-season to do his job. Then you have the issue of sticking with a DC who everyone knew had to go but that's not the Packer way to fire a guy so early in his tenure so we're stuck with Pettine, and we decided to close our eyes and pretend something different will happen. Finally, you have a ST coordinator who isnt qualified to be in the NFL, but he's our guy because he was a dollar store pickup. MLF wanted Rizzi, one of the best, and Murphy shot it down because it cost too much. Again, very much the Packer way of doing things. 

Imagine where this team might be right now if they simply would have made the off-season change at DC and gotten a few competent moves from their GM...

At the beginning or before the year I would have never agreed with this take but this is totally on Gute at this point. You have obvious weaknesses but are very close to a Superbowl contender so you draft a QB, a RB who won't see the field this year, a FB/TE (Sadly probably the best early round pick). It was a terrible start to a draft. That being said I think he knocked the last rounds out of the park with Martin, Runyan, & Barnes. 

43 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Indy was smart to not having their kickers kick it into the end zone.  By forcing us to field it we almost every time started inside our own 20.

INDY is 29th in touchback stats. So - it might be their kicker is really good at targeted kickoffs - or he doesnt have the leg. They play in a dome, his longest FG is 44yards and he's 0-1 in 50+ attempts. So - it might not be they were playing to Sheppard's weakness so much as to their kicker's strength.

44 minutes ago, Pugger said:

So perhaps instead of ragging on MLF we should be upset with Murphy.   "Too many cooks spoil the broth."  MLF should have total control on who his assistants are.

He should and I for one don't believe he really has "full" control there, but there's no way of knowing for sure. However, it was made clear when they hired MLF that they were looking for a candidate who would accept and keep Pettine on as the DC. That was reported. So obviously upper management had a say there. 

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

INDY is 29th in touchback stats. So - it might be their kicker is really good at targeted kickoffs - or he doesnt have the leg. They play in a dome, his longest FG is 44yards and he's 0-1 in 50+ attempts. So - it might not be they were playing to Sheppard's weakness so much as to their kicker's strength.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  It certainly worked out for them.  

Decided to look at our current position from a different perspective this morning. Right now the Packers hold the No. 3 seed, and personally I think that's where we will end up. The Saints (even without Brees for a few more weeks) and Seattle have softer schedules and I expect both teams to finish either 13-3 or at worst 12-4. Conversely, I expect the Packers to finish 11-5 (loss to the Titans and probably one of the two road games v. Det/Chi). If that indeed happens, I'd like the playoff seedings to finish as follows: 

1. Saints -- I want them to finish 1, not 2 because I don't want to play them in the divisional round

2. Seattle -- the preferred opponent for the Packers if we have to play on the road in the divisional round

3. Packers

4. NFC East Winner (irrelevant) 

5. Tampa Bay

6. Rams - don't want the Rams to finish with the 6th seed, but I think they will and we'll get them first round - tough matchup

7. Cardinals

Wildcard round: 

Seattle v. Cardinals -- Seattle wins

Packers v. Rams -- Packers win (optimism right?) 

NFC East v. Tampa - Tampa wins 

If this happens, it would send Tampa to New Orleans, the best possible scenario for us. It's hard to beat a team 3 times in the same year and Tampa at least can match up with the Saints. The hope here is that Tampa pulls the upset and we beat Wilson and Seattle like 42-41 in a shootout where both defenses don't force a single stop all game long. Then we get Tampa in Green Bay for the NFCCG. 

Happy thoughts. 

Edited by packfanfb

24 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

At the beginning or before the year I would have never agreed with this take but this is totally on Gute at this point. You have obvious weaknesses but are very close to a Superbowl contender so you draft a QB, a RB who won't see the field this year, a FB/TE (Sadly probably the best early round pick). It was a terrible start to a draft. That being said I think he knocked the last rounds out of the park with Martin, Runyan, & Barnes. 

IMO it’s a trash take by a poster who has had an agenda against Gute all year. No single player would’ve made a difference yesterday. It was coaching plain and simple. We’ve got a good HC, a mediocre DC and yesterday when it mattered the Colts’ coaches made better decisions.

You'd think we're 3-7 reading the comments. Rodgers is playing elite, the locker room is as right as can be and we're getting healthy. Schedule is also pretty favorable.

Cons are definitely that it's impossible to trust this defense, but you can say that about most of the NFC. It's still anyone's game, and without fans, home field is not near the advantage it was.

• Like 2

I am more frustrated with the special teams than the defense.  It shouldn't be difficult for them to meet the expectations of: don't be a liability.  If their net was 0, that is fine.  But they are constantly a negative for this team.  I don't recall the last time that we had a return that set us up in good field position.  We constantly give opposing teams good field position with short punts, and the last time he punted further than 40 yards the Jaguars scored a TD.  I don't have numbers in front of me, but I am willing to bet that opposing teams start beyond the 25 more often than not, if they return the ball at all.  Mason Crosby is fine.  And at least they aren't committing penalties at the same rate as under Zook.  

I don't want to see Darius Shepherd or JK Scott on the team anymore.  And when 3/4 of your job is below par, you can take the coach too.

I don't think firing Mike Pettine or Shawn Mennenga, or any of their assistant coaches, mid season will solve any problems.  But how can we roll into the 2021 season without doing something different? 

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Also, get Runyan on the field permanently. Lucas Patrick filled in admirably, and he'll start at center next year, but this line is best with Bahk-Jenkins-Linsley-Runyan-Turner out there. Patrick, Wagner first off the bench is some damn solid depth too. 

I like the idea of Runyan playing.  I don't think I like Patrick not playing.  The guy has been good this season.  I really think that we have the best OL group in the league.  

We have:

A top LT.

2 capable starters at RT. (Not counting Jenkins here, but we might be able to)

3 guys that can play center, and play it well. (Linsley, Jenkins, Patrick)

5 good guards. (Jenkins, Patrick, Runyan, Turner, Taylor)

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Also, get Runyan on the field permanently. Lucas Patrick filled in admirably, and he'll start at center next year, but this line is best with Bahk-Jenkins-Linsley-Runyan-Turner out there. Patrick, Wagner first off the bench is some damn solid depth too. 

What we saw yesterday might be our starting 5 next year 

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You'd think we're 3-7 reading the comments. Rodgers is playing elite, the locker room is as right as can be and we're getting healthy. Schedule is also pretty favorable.

Cons are definitely that it's impossible to trust this defense, but you can say that about most of the NFC. It's still anyone's game, and without fans, home field is not near the advantage it was.

I think LaFleur could actually boost the spirits of the locker room if he'd dump Pettine.  Those players have to hate playing such a passive style of defense week in and week out.