2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I really don't get why Coleman is still around honestly. I don't think he's ever even played a snap for us. Skule showed us how incompetent he was last year in primetime. We definitely need to invest in the tackle spot regardless of what happens with Trent. 

Sure but who? Really nobody is out there that moves any kind of needle as a starter. Could we sign a Ty Nsekhe as a swing tackle? Sure and i don't disagree we should look to improve from Skule. I almost didn't put his name there because of how bad he has been but at the same time. With Coleman who knows what he brings now. Don't think we had him active after acquiring him and then he got injured in 2019 and sat out last year. I don't think its crazy to at least bring him in for camp. In the end though you have limited resources and i highly doubt improving on swing tackle is high on the list of priorities and where we spend money.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Sure but who? Really nobody is out there that moves any kind of needle as a starter. Could we sign a Ty Nsekhe as a swing tackle? Sure and i don't disagree we should look to improve from Skule. I almost didn't put his name there because of how bad he has been but at the same time. With Coleman who knows what he brings now. Don't think we had him active after acquiring him and then he got injured in 2019 and sat out last year. I don't think its crazy to at least bring him in for camp. In the end though you have limited resources and i highly doubt improving on swing tackle is high on the list of priorities and where we spend money.

I mentioned Walker Little previously. That would be the route I would take personally. If we could manage to snag him with our 3rd round comp I think we would have gotten away with highway robbery. You could use him as your swing tackle for the year and then slide him into McGlinchey's spot after next season if Trent returns. Worse case scenario I think you've got a good option at swing tackle moving forward. It gets a little more tricky if Trent does leave though. In that case I think you have to sign someone in FA and also draft a tackle. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I mentioned Walker Little previously. That would be the route I would take personally. If we could manage to snag him with our 3rd round comp I think we would have gotten away with highway robbery. You could use him as your swing tackle for the year and then slide him into McGlinchey's spot after next season if Trent returns. Worse case scenario I think you've got a good option at swing tackle moving forward. It gets a little more tricky if Trent does leave though. In that case I think you have to sign someone in FA and also draft a tackle. 

That was what it was about. What do you do when Williams leaves and really the only options as starter is Villanueva or pick 12. And the hardest thing is that at the point you don't sign someone it is pretty clear we are going OT at 12 and you have the risk of getting sniped. If we keep Williams i am sure drafting a OT is on the options list but i kinda hate going in the draft having to draft a specific position. Not saying you have to go straight BPA but i think making a BB already takes into acount what you really need and drops positions you are deep in(which really we don't have any position i would say is off the list for now).

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

That was what it was about. What do you do when Williams leaves and really the only options as starter is Villanueva or pick 12. And the hardest thing is that at the point you don't sign someone it is pretty clear we are going OT at 12 and you have the risk of getting sniped. If we keep Williams i am sure drafting a OT is on the options list but i kinda hate going in the draft having to draft a specific position. Not saying you have to go straight BPA but i think making a BB already takes into acount what you really need and drops positions you are deep in(which really we don't have any position i would say is off the list for now).

I was saying even if we do bring him back we need to invest in a tackle through the draft based on our poor depth. Sorry if that was unclear, but we were discussing our lack of depth at the tackle position. If we do lose Trent I think we go tackle in round 1, which like you said kind of ties our hands as far as what we can do in the draft. I'm really hoping it doesn't come down to that and Trent agrees to come back here soon. 

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If Trent is gone, you draft one and not sign one of these in free agency. 

1000%

It's Trent Williams, Rashawn Slater, or Christian Darrisaw at LT for me. Both Slater and Darrisaw for our type of offense and both are supremely athletic and smart. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I just hate to go after a player who had a major injury with our luck.

Yeah I definitely understand that. He has played a full slate of games the four previous seasons though and the season before that he was a rookie. I don't think there is any way we could afford to bring him in and pay him though anyway unless we cut Jimmy. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@GW21 Notice how he was first with the details again on a deal that was pretty much announced by Lynch? Rap is the money man when it comes to 49ers news. The trusted national reporter for Lynch/Shanny.

Good call, I hadn't noticed that before. I wasn't calling you out before, but honestly never noticed that. It seemed to me that Peter King was the guy that was plugged into our FO previously.