2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Depends on how much pressure he's exerting. I still like Carolina as the favorite in the NFC, and then of course the AFC teams. Really curious to see how all in Denver would be. @Broncofan indicated that previously, Ben had been lukewarm on the idea that Denver would target Watson...but he's recently changed his tune, so that could be something to monitor. 

Panthers would be the team willing to give up the most, but would Watson eventually give the thumbs up to going there? If so, then I agree, they should be the favorite.

I don't doubt the Broncos will try hard to go after him, and remember, Jeremy Fowler has been thinking they are the team that ends up getting him. They can offer up a nice package if they involve Chubb.

But will the Texans want to trade him to the AFC?

The Niners at the very least are positioned to make a nice run at him. Depends on how much they are willing to give up. 

14 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

@J-ALL-DAY, watchu got for us this year?

I called Hasty as a UDFA last year, but that was luck more than anything. 

Lol, I remember Patrick having a nice camp to before we let him go. He shined some in Denver for sure, but they are stacked WR.

You will have to tune in to my mock draft to find out who the Niners will be going with this year! P.s, I don't know nearly enough about the draft just yet. Only been watching corners and some DEs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But will the Texans want to trade him to the AFC?

If you send Watson to another team in the AFC but not in-division - you play those divisions 1x every 3 years.   If you send him to the NFC, you play him 1x every 4 years.    You also play the same standing team in the other 2 divisions - but any team you send Watson to, the likelihood that you play them is very low the next 3-4 years given where Houston is at (IE - last place faces last place in the other 2 divisions).  Also, with the 17th game now comes from 1 of the divisions from the other conference.   So really, the big issue is either trading in-division - or with good teams, the thought you'll be facing them in the playoffs more regularly.   Again, I don't think this applies to Houston.

Bottom line TL:DR - the AFC vs. NFC gap isn't that wide in games played, the big no-no is trading in-division.  Unless you're worried about facing him in playoffs.  That's unlikely to be an immediate concern for a while for Houston.  We'll see.

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

This is why I don't expect us to get Watson. I don't think Bosa or fred will be in the table. 

In that sense, I think DEN would part with Chubb.  He's nowhere near close to Bosa, but his name / face value is only surpassed by the CAR guys of Brown / Burns (and don't ask me why Chubb is seen so highly, honestly) - problem being, CAR's guys leaving really hurts them a lot more to compete, at least in Watson's camp's view, supposedly.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I still don't want to say goodbye to Bosa. Just throw first round picks at the Texans. 

He has to go unfortunately. We can't pay everyone and he will be gone anyways in a few years if we trade for Watson. This is the only way the trade will happen. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He has to go unfortunately. We can't pay everyone and he will be gone anyways in a few years if we trade for Watson. This is the only way the trade will happen. 

I may be a bit of a dummy when it comes to the cap numbers, but by trading Watson doesn't Houston eat a lot of that cap number? Also we are seeing Mahomes already restructuring to create cap space as it is obvious he isn't going anywhere. Right now Jimmy costs more against our cap than Watson does. 

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I may be a bit of a dummy when it comes to the cap numbers, but by trading Watson doesn't Houston eat a lot of that cap number? Also we are seeing Mahomes already restructuring to create cap space as it is obvious he isn't going anywhere. Right now Jimmy costs more against our cap than Watson does. 

Yeah but we have alot of players already paid. It'll basically come down to Bosa and Fred. Bosa will be more expensive.

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

We can keep restructuring but there are drawbacks there as well. Watson's big cap hit doesn't hit until 2022 anyways. 

For 2021 Watson will be cheaper than Jimmy. But Bosa is getting a deal in 2022 and that's when some issues will arise.

Very difficult to pay top money for a QB/LT/EDGE/LB/IDL. Chiefs are pretty much doing that minus LB but insert S and it works for them. But they have Mahomes and he's a different animal. A lot of positions on that team that are just average. Will Shanny/Lynch want that? Not sure. 

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Yes and no. Basically when you trade someone away the remaining signing bonus hits get accelerated to the current year(or this and next if its post June 1st). So the cap hit lowers with the signing bonus hit. The biggest difference with cutting is that then all guaranteed money gets accelerated.

So if they trade him they get a 21.6 mil cap hit instead of 15.94 while the team getting him has a 10.6 mil cap hit. 

The Mahomes thing has a lot to do with the amount of years too because a signing bonus only gets spread out over max 5 years so expect them to restructure more often simply to keep spreading cap hits out over more seasons.

Edited by Justone2

While I agree that Bosa is going to cost us a bunch, I think we could find a way to make it work bringing back Bosa, Warner, and still fitting in Watson. Especially if we can get the cap relief of cutting ties with Jimmy as a part of that move. Maybe we can move some money up to this year in the savings we'd see on Warner's contract or something of that nature. LIS, I'm kind of a noob on this cap stuff, but I feel like Paraage and co. could figure something out to make it work so we could keep our cornerstone players in addition to Watson. 

3 minutes ago, GW21 said:

While I agree that Bosa is going to cost us a bunch, I think we could find a way to make it work bringing back Bosa, Warner, and still fitting in Watson. Especially if we can get the cap relief of cutting ties with Jimmy as a part of that move. Maybe we can move some money up to this year in the savings we'd see on Warner's contract or something of that nature. LIS, I'm kind of a noob on this cap stuff, but I feel like Paraage and co. could figure something out to make it work so we could keep our cornerstone players in addition to Watson. 

I would also expect the cap to raise back to 2020's cap in 2022 and yet another raise in 2023...barring Covid doesnt screw things up next year. The cap increase alone may lend itself to retaining such players. While that is no guarantee, it is pretty much expected.

Edited by P_locniners

Just now, GW21 said:

The cap is really only a problem when you want it to be. This year is a bit different with it going down not only from where it was last year but even more from what was expected. As long as the cap grows there is always a way to keep the most important pieces around. The biggest thing usually is that second wave and who you prioritize like we saw last year with the whole Buckner/Armstead scenario where we sure could have kept both but decided to go another way to save some money.

• Like 2

We can afford to pay Watson, Bosa, Warner and still have enough to surround them with other talent

Bosa warner and watson are three guys who are top 2-3 in their position in the NFL. 

Those are guys that you would restructure year after year to continue to push their cap hits out into the future and not think twice about it 

• Like 1