The search for a new Defensive Coordinator

RaidersAreOne

5. Kris Richard

Richard didn’t coach in the NFL last season. Prior to that, he was the defensive backs coach in Dallas. Before that job, he spent eight years with the Seahawks, the final three as defensive coordinator 2015-17. In those years his defenses were ranked second, fifth, and 11th respectively. Prior to that, he was credited with overseeing the ‘Legion of Boom’ secondary as the team’s defensive backs coach. In an ever more passing league, that could be just what the Raiders need.

5 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

This would be a fun pickup. 

Doesn't he always run a base 3-4 type defence though?  I know we're in Nickel a lot but he had two edge guys rushing standing up with the rams last going off and not sure who fits that profile here, Beasley and McKinley may be poor man's options, Crosby and Key possibly but unlikely Ferrell........ Hurst, Hankins and Irving maybe form the line?? Great coach but seems we'll need a lot of new faces to form an adequate group.........

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

To be frank, I think a 3-4 would probably suit our D better as is. 

Ferrell-Draft Pick-Crosby

Littleton-Kwiatkowski-Morrow-Key

That front 3 would get absolutely murdered against the run IMHO and there's no real pass rusher at edge, Littleton and Kwiatkoski fit as ILB in that scenario but Hankins is the best fit at NT maybe?

31 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Doesn't he always run a base 3-4 type defence though?  I know we're in Nickel a lot but he had two edge guys rushing standing up with the rams last going off and not sure who fits that profile here, Beasley and McKinley may be poor man's options, Crosby and Key possibly but unlikely Ferrell........ Hurst, Hankins and Irving maybe form the line?? Great coach but seems we'll need a lot of new faces to form an adequate group.........

I think Ferrell would be just fine at 3-4 end personally. I also wouldn't worry about fitting the scheme to the likes of Beasley. McKinley, Irving etc. All very replaceable players who probably won't be here after this season. We can put Littleton back in the position where he was an elite playmaker at the LB position.

I would go with Marvin Lewis but he's gonna get a head coach position this offseason. Probably best to wait to see who gets fired.  Nearly 1/3 of teams will have new coaches so a lot of D coordinators could come free

Jets, Lions, Texans, Jaguars, Falcons, Chargers, Bears, Eagles, Bengals and Broncos all will probably  be looking for new coaches

Edited by bucksavage1

52 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

That front 3 would get absolutely murdered against the run IMHO and there's no real pass rusher at edge, Littleton and Kwiatkoski fit as ILB in that scenario but Hankins is the best fit at NT maybe?

We get absolutely murdered either way though. Adding a 4th body there hasn't made a lick of difference. With our personnell, we could play an 11-man D-line and still get murdered in the run 😂

• Like 1