Would you want John Dorsey as your teams GM?

candyman93

Would you want John Dorsey as your teams GM?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want John Dorsey as your teams GM?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but in a different position than GM

As a GM, I would pass. If he was just in some role as a consult or leading talent eval or a scouting department or something, sure. But the dude pisses too many people off, and his knack for acquiring talent winds up being offset by his poor use of resources in acquiring/retaining it. He acquired some key players for our current run and our current regime, but he also threw way too much money at injury prone and/or aging and/or inconsistent players from the regime before his. Hali, Berry, Johnson, Houston, were all very good players for us, but they wound up being paid a ton of money to not play for the Kansas City Chiefs, or to decline rapidly, because their contracts were structured so poorly for the points they were at in their respective careers. Eric Berry carried an $8M cap hit this year. He somehow managed to piss off and overpay all of our best players.

Also, as another Chiefs fan noted, Mahomes has long been established through interviews as a Veach find.

I do also just conceptually despise the tweet. List any GM by his best draft picks, he'll sound amazing. List any GM by their worst, they'll sound terrible. The reality is almost always somewhere in between. Otherwise, why aren't we talking about the guy who drafted Calvin Johnson?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

As a GM, I would pass. If he was just in some role as a consult or leading talent eval or a scouting department or something, sure. But the dude pisses too many people off, and his knack for acquiring talent winds up being offset by his poor use of resources in acquiring/retaining it. He acquired some key players for our current run and our current regime, but he also threw way too much money at injury prone and/or aging and/or inconsistent players from the regime before his. Hali, Berry, Johnson, Houston, were all very good players for us, but they wound up being paid a ton of money to not play for the Kansas City Chiefs, or to decline rapidly, because their contracts were structured so poorly for the points they were at in their respective careers. Eric Berry carried an $8M cap hit this year. He somehow managed to piss off and overpay all of our best players.

Also, as another Chiefs fan noted, Mahomes has long been established through interviews as a Veach find.

I do also just conceptually despise the tweet. List any GM by his best draft picks, he'll sound amazing. List any GM by their worst, they'll sound terrible. The reality is almost always somewhere in between. Otherwise, why aren't we talking about the guy who drafted Calvin Johnson?

I mean...look at the talent that he's brought in while running a team while being a GM. Literally the only reason he's not still in KC or CLE is ego (and missing on the Kitchen hire..but still). The draft/overall talent brought in in his stints is impressive and stacks up well against just about any of the best really I'd say.

As far as Mahomes, Veach probably was instrumental in landing him/targeting him, but acting like Dorsey wasn't part of that process or also a big reason for bringing him in is probably a bit of wishful thinking. 

Anyways, to answer the question yes. I would be a-ok with hiring Dorsey. The amount of talent he'd bring in based on what he's proven in two different stops is obvious. 

It’s not even just drafting either.

1. Dorsey traded for Wyatt Teller who’s playing like an all pro.

2. He traded for Jarvis Landry who is the perfect type of WR you want in your locker room.

3. His only real free agency screw up was ironically trading for OBJ. Who at the time, most teams would have been giddy about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

He’s great for about 2-3 years, because he’s great at acquiring talent. However, he’s super power hungry and awful at navigating the salary cap, so he’s got a short lifespan before it unravels.

I can understand this - but with this next stop being his 3rd, I have to think he knows he's probably on his last legs in the league (even if he's got a reputation of stockpiling high level talent).

Hopefully he's learned his limits.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I can understand this - but with this next stop being his 3rd, I have to think he knows he's probably on his last legs in the league (even if he's got a reputation of stockpiling high level talent).

Hopefully he's learned his limits.

Possible, but unlikely.  Dorsey is 60 years old and didn't appear to learn anything between his KC and Clev stints.

One of his fatal flaws is playing favorites.  Players (and coaches) smell this a mile away, and there's no quicker way to ruin a locker room (and front office) than when they know the guy in charge shows blatant favoritism.  Most of us have worked with guys like this, and I personally can't think of someone who ever changed their ways in that regard.

Draft consultant? Sure.  But not GM.

• Like 1

Not in KC, but for most teams yes, because as a fan I don't care about the personal relationships of the people in the front office, it's more important to me to watch a talented football team on Sundays. This dude got us Tyreek Hill in the 5th round and every week he's so fun to watch. He'll run past the defense score a 70yd TD then keep running all the way to sidelines like an energizer bunny. Never seen any player like him. Got us GOAT TE Kelce in the 3rd. And Eric Fisher at 1st overall doesn't sound like a good pick until you look at the top 20 guys in that draft and realize nearly all of them were trash. Getting Eric Fisher was like winning a game of minesweeper.  Dorsey is an amazing draft evaluator and great at working the draft board and adding complimentary talent in free agency as well.

The only thing about Dorsey's lack of building good relationships that sucks from a fan standpoint is when it comes time to extend key players, fan favorites, etc. he gets raked over the coals in negations because he doesn't have a good personal relationship with the players to use as any sort of leverage. Veach seems like the opposite of this and is coming off one of the best offseasons of all time for any GM just based on how he was able to extend all of our key guys but keep our capsheet flexible moving forward. I can't imagine Dorsey being able to pull anything like that off, with Dorsey I'm sure we would've had to let some guys go and overpay others just due to the difference in culture under Dorsey. Dorsey got raked over the coals in the Eric Berry and Justin Houston extensions in KC. To his credit he did get us Kelce and Mitchell Schwartz on the cheap, which was a big part of our title run last season.

Also Andy Reid has said Mahomes was all Veach's doing which is easy to believe since Veach was calling him one of the best football players of all time before he even played a real game, but I think Dorsey should get credit for executing a perfect trade to get us Mahomes. We moved all the way up from 27 to get a QB with unlimited talent and only had to give up our 3rd and a future 1st. Dorsey was a maestro jumping just ahead of the Saints to get Mahomes and then have him sit for a year behind the legend Alex Smith before joining a team that was picking 27th in the draft. Thats probably the best draft day trade of all time tbh. Dorsey absolutely deserves another job as a GM.

Edited by Kirill
  • Like 2

I don't know much about the guy. There is obviously a reason he keeps getting fired despite having a pretty decent track record of building teams.

Bills have a great GM, so I'm chillin. I think there are tons of crappy teams that would improve with a guy of his track record

17 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Texans should go for a Dorsey/Bienemy GM/HC combo. Assuming that those two didn't have any issues, they could do great things with that team.

I hope it doesn't happen.

I am hoping for Riddick now. 

Dorsey is an ego freak. I don't want that near my team, though I believe he'd get rid of Easterby.

Edited by Drained

Coukdni have him Co-GM with Ryan Pace in Chicago? He handles offense, Pace handles defense, and the CEO Ted Phillip's shots his mouth on football operations but focuses on salary cap since he is an accountant by trade. We need someone who can get offensive talent in Chicago. 

Honestly in my last mock I put Rick Smith as President/CEO (Phillips is rumored to be "retiring" this season) and Nick Caserio as the GM. I'd love that duo. 

20 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I give him a ton of credit for Mahomes. Yes, Veach did the initial legwork, but he could have easily overruled Veach to go with Watson, who many people were linking to us (note, nothing against Watson, but I’d rather have Mahomes obviously). Just as a counter example, I’ve heard there were scouts in Chicago who loved Mahomes, but Pace ultimately rolled with Trubisky. 

I agree with everything you said about his issues with the cap and rubbing people the wrong way though. For a team like the Lions or Jets who are desperate to turn things around, I would do exactly what the Chiefs and Browns did. Bring him in to let him rebuild it, and then move on when he wears out his welcome.

• Like 2