Thoughts on NFL adapting NBA style draft lottery?

SotanKing

I wouldnt be in favor of this but id rather determine high draft picks to be performanced based. Give non playoff teams with the best record the 1st pick and work backwards. Gives teams incentive to play well at all times and give full effort to win even when eliminated from playoffs. So best record non playoff team gets 1st pick and worst nonplayoff team gets the last selection before the playoff teams start to select.

This gets rid of teams stuck in purgatory as well. Like Bills all these years. They were to bad that they couldnt make the playoffs but they were to good to get high draft picks. This would add more competitive teams. Instead of a star prospect going to an 0-16 team and the team still sucks he has a chance to go to a 7-9 team and make them a playoff team.

Edited by Kmart128

On 12/23/2020 at 6:38 PM, upriser7 said:

With how depressing Jets fans have been feeling since Sunday, it just doesn't feel right for me that fans of a team are so distraught to see their team finally win a game and avoid finishing 0-16. I also do hate tanking and in general rooting against your fav team. With ever more increasing importance of QB position and how a QB is mostly being picked with the No1 pick, don't you think it would make sense for NFL to adopt NBA stlye draft lottery system?

In the NBA draft lottery system, team with worst record usually only has 14% chance of No1 pick and 52% chance of getting a top4 pick..teams with 2nd, 3rd worst records also have similar odds of getting No1 pick. You can see detailed odds for each team here http://www.tankathon.com/. There would be much less incentive to tank in this system when you aren't guaranteed of No1 pick even if you finish with the worst record.

The NBA system does nothing to curb tanking. 

• Like 1

On 12/23/2020 at 6:58 PM, rich homie said:

The huge market of Cleveland and their three #1 picks in 4 years

Just recently, the New Orleans Pelicans got the #1 overall pick over the New York Knicks to land potential superstar Zion Williamson. Not really sure what he's talking about. Small market teams get the top pick constantly.

The lottery would be interesting, but maybe not as needed in football. One player in football has much less of an impact than in the NBA, for the most part.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:42 PM, August4th said:

what about eliminating the draft and letting college players enter FA

Awful idea. Big market teams with strong pedigrees would always attract the best talent the way college does. You would never see a team like Jacknsonville  ever compete again. In fact a traditionally great team like Green Bay would have to convince players why they should come to Wisconsin over New York, LA, Dallas, Boston, Miami, etc. The cap would mitigate some of that, but the best teams in the big markets would get the first crack at a high profile team. Like Trevor Lawrence would never willingly say "yeah I'm going to the Jets or the Jaguars". He would walk up to a team like the Patriots and say "hey you guys need a QB and I want to get coached by someone who knows how to win lets make a deal". Or he would go to the Rams and say "hey McVay do you think I have more upside than Goff"? 

It's a solution to an unneccessary problem. The NBA has teams that absolutely tank. The NFL really doesn't. Miami was supposed to tank last year and they won a bunch of games. The Jets were said to be tanking and after torturing their fans for 13 games they won a game that likely guaranteed they don't get a generational QB. If tanking was an issue thereis no an 0-13 team with the potential to be the only 1 win team in nearly 50 years to not get the number 1 pick is going to even be in a game at that point. 

Ask yourself what a lottery does? It's only function is so that there is a chance the absolute worst team doesn't get the best pick. Which is a detriment to parity and only works if you absolutely believe you need a check against tanking, which you clearly don't in this league. 

On 12/26/2020 at 8:28 AM, Malfatron said:

I hate that idea.

In win and in games on week 17, youll have fans rooting for losses to get the 1 pick

You may have some fans that want the 1st overall pick. But im sure most would want the playoff appearance. I think fans would view it as a win win no matter the outcome which is what it is. Reward a good team...  you know the players are more likely to give 100% effort to continue playing and it completely gets rid of tanking. There may be some bad fans who would rather have draft selection but me personally id be happy to rewarded in a win win scenerio after a solid season.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:30 PM, WheatieMan said:

I don’t think the balls will be rigged but given what’s transpired in the last year and with quantum AI who knows what backdoors a lottery would open. It’s probably fine the way it is. Jets aren’t a 1 win team on paper. They made some poor decisions in the off season and their two best defensive players didn’t start the season. Having a Lawrence and a decent head coach probably puts them right back at 6-7 wins next year. It’s unfortunate it turned out this way with the Jags absolutely mailing in the season. Definitely think Marrone and Khan put in for a strategic tank while Gase was super ticked off after the Raider game.

A lottery in the NFL would be applicable only in round 1. Then it would revert. You can also limit it to the bottom 5 or 10 and then place by worst record, although that can encourage middling teams to tank. Too many variables here.

The jags didnt tank. A few lucky/unlucky breaks but jags have played competitive in most games.   Most predicted the jags pick 1 prior to the start mostly cause they were young and didnt really have a good defense on paper and offensively it was lacking something. 

7 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The only chance the Jets now have of getting Trevor Lawrence is the NFL suddenly deciding they will hold a lottery to determine the draft order of non-playoff teams, and then the Jets win such lottery.

Even if the NFL makes the stupid and surprising decision to go with a draft lottery at their next ownership meeting, there's no way in hell it would apply for the 2021 draft.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pf9 said:

The only chance the Jets now have of getting Trevor Lawrence is the NFL suddenly deciding they will hold a lottery to determine the draft order of non-playoff teams, and then the Jets win such lottery.

Congrats to the jags! Well earned. No way that's happening in this draft