What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

3 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

It certainly had a much nicer looking trajectory to it when he was here. Physically, he was always the prototypical West Coast QB. Who knows, with some continued success he may have even developed into a decent leader as well. Chicago is/was a hard place to stay positive in. Pretty much any QB who's played there in the last 10 years will attest to that. 

I also wonder how much him playing the end of that first year and missing the playoffs might have affected his career trajectory. I wish we kept Plummer in and given Cutler the rest of the year and offseason to strictly work on his fundamentals and IQ before stepping in. 

5 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

It certainly had a much nicer looking trajectory to it when he was here. Physically, he was always the prototypical West Coast QB. Who knows, with some continued success he may have even developed into a decent leader as well. Chicago is/was a hard place to stay positive in. Pretty much any QB who's played there in the last 10 years will attest to that. 

As a Bears fans as well, I know exactly what you’re saying. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I actually think Cutler’s career would have looked a lot different if he had remained in Mike’s offense.  

There have been a few pieces on it, but the Bears brought him in as a finished product and gave him an awful environment to grow in (diff coaches every year, etc) … Jay def had some intangibles issues, but I definitely think he could have been a very good to great QB in the right situation 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, champ11 said:

There have been a few pieces on it, but the Bears brought him in as a finished product and gave him an awful environment to grow in (diff coaches every year, etc) … Jay def had some intangibles issues, but I definitely think he could have been a very good to great QB in the right situation 

I agree 10000%. 

I worry about the same with Drew, albeit in different ways. I still maintain the worst thing this staff has done to retire Drew’s development was firing Scags (whose offense was a perfect fit for his skillet) and bring in Shurmur. I blame Vic for that error and Elway for signing off on it. I don’t think it gets nearly the attention, either here, locally or nationally, that it deserves. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree 10000%. 

I worry about the same with Drew, albeit in different ways. I still maintain the worst thing this staff has done to retire Drew’s development was firing Scags (whose offense was a perfect fit for his skillet) and bring in Shurmur. I blame Vic for that error and Elway for signing off on it. I don’t think it gets nearly the attention, either here, locally or nationally, that it deserves. 

Eh Scangs is at best a good positional coach. After flaming out here he flamed out as an assistant with the Eagles. That system though is definitely the best fit for Lock. The decision not to hire Kyle has been out biggest miss the past decade imo. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

Eh Scangs is at best a good positional coach. After flaming out here he flamed out as an assistant with the Eagles. That system though is definitely the best fit for Lock. The decision not to hire Kyle has been out biggest miss the past decade imo. 

Maybe you get Clint next year?  

Couldn't possibly disagree more about Cutler.

His simply awful attitude would've found a way to derail his chance of being a very good QB. In fact, the more success he'd have had, the worst it would have got for him in the long run.

I just wish I had listened to @AntiSuperstarre: Jay. He had Jay pegged from very, very early on.

12 hours ago, grizmo78 said:

I agree - not hiring Shanahan was the problem -  and that is on Ellis.

• Like 2

It looks to me that Jeudy cannot be defended.  I am just wondering if Bridgewater is the better QB for the Broncos because of his anticipation, which I think could take advantage of what Jeudy is doing out there.  Perhaps Jeudy is the X-factor in all of this.  I know we aren't used a WR dominating for the Broncos, but maybe he takes the reigns at WR1.  

6 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Couldn't possibly disagree more about Cutler.

His simply awful attitude would've found a way to derail his chance of being a very good QB. In fact, the more success he'd have had, the worst it would have got for him in the long run.

I just wish I had listened to @AntiSuperstarre: Jay. He had Jay pegged from very, very early on.

also a fair opinion to hold. he did have a solid to good career even with that attitude and an awful org. both ideas are hypothetical, so who is to say. i believe you can have a great QB without the standard QB personality - but Jay definitely had some real toxic moments and traits lol. so would have had to be VERY successful in catering to a guy and I don't think many orgs have that flexibility in the NFL. 

3 hours ago, jsthomp2007 said:

It looks to me that Jeudy cannot be defended.  I am just wondering if Bridgewater is the better QB for the Broncos because of his anticipation, which I think could take advantage of what Jeudy is doing out there.  Perhaps Jeudy is the X-factor in all of this.  I know we aren't used a WR dominating for the Broncos, but maybe he takes the reigns at WR1.  

I agree - because of his route running ability Bridgewater is the better QB. However, Jeudy is likely to be double teamed on a regular basis which will open holes elsewhere and that is where Lock might be better.

However - it really is a case of hoping for the best from two poor QBs - and who knows, maybe one of them will surprise us.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:48 PM, jolly red giant said:

I agree - because of his route running ability Bridgewater is the better QB. However, Jeudy is likely to be double teamed on a regular basis which will open holes elsewhere and that is where Lock might be better.

However - it really is a case of hoping for the best from two poor QBs - and who knows, maybe one of them will surprise us.

For whatever reason Teddy gives me major Kyle Orton vibes. Not in a bad way either. Hes just a solid QB who can make some plays and not completely kill your team every game.

If the Broncos Defense is as good as everybody says it is (2015 level) then I think it would be in the best interest of the team to start Teddy who you know gives you at least a high floor and can get the ball into playmakers hands with a bunch of 5-10 yard routes.

I have more faith in him being sort of like Peyton in 2014/2015 who can just keep the ship afloat on offense and at least let the playmakers do all the heavy lifting.

I think it might be better than the rollercoaster ride every week that is Drew Lock if we are serious about trying to win.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

For whatever reason Teddy gives me major Kyle Orton vibes. Not in a bad way either. Hes just a solid QB who can make some plays and not completely kill your team every game.

If the Broncos Defense is as good as everybody says it is (2015 level) then I think it would be in the best interest of the team to start Teddy who you know gives you at least a high floor and can get the ball into playmakers hands with a bunch of 5-10 yard routes.

I have more faith in him being sort of like Peyton in 2014/2015 who can just keep the ship afloat on offense and at least let the playmakers do all the heavy lifting.

I think it might be better than the rollercoaster ride every week that is Drew Lock if we are serious about trying to win.

I'd bet a lot of money this defense isn't as good as 2015, not many defenses have been

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I'd bet a lot of money this defense isn't as good as 2015, not many defenses have been

I dont think they have the horses up front, certainly not the LB group that Danny/Brandon were.

Either way, if you have a top 3 defense and playmakers galore--its probably best to stick with Teddy Orton.

I also realize this will never happen because Paton decided to pass on Fields because he wanted to see what he had with Lock. So you better play him.