What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

Now there’s some news coming out that we apparently don’t want to pay the rumored three 1sts+ it would take to land Aaron. Now, it’s no one with much credibility, and we’ll have to see if that changes. 

But if Paton passes on the chance to land a HOF QB he’ll lose a great deal of support awfully quickly IMO. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Now there’s some news coming out that we apparently don’t want to pay the rumored three 1sts+ it would take to land Aaron. Now, it’s no one with much credibility, and we’ll have to see if that changes. 

But if Paton passes on the chance to land a HOF QB he’ll lose a great deal of support awfully quickly IMO. 

All about results on the field he'd lose support if Rodgers didn't amount to that

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

All about results on the field he'd lose support if Rodgers didn't amount to that

Three 1sts - and they would be low first rounders - would be worth it to make the Broncos instant SB contenders.

If Rodgers is available and Paton doesn't land him then he will likely have a very short tenure as GM - because the Broncos will not be able to compete until the QB position is fixed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

Three 1sts - and they would be low first rounders - would be worth it to make the Broncos instant SB contenders.

If Rodgers is available and Paton doesn't land him then he will likely have a very short tenure as GM - because the Broncos will not be able to compete until the QB position is fixed.

The concern with Paton is his attempting to replicate Minnesota. The Vikings have had a very nice roster but coupled with middling, at best, QB play. We’re talking about a team that has trotted out the likes of Matt Cassell, Christian Ponder, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater, Case Keenum and Kirk Cousins. That’s a sorry lot if I’ve ever seen one. 

6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

I disagree to an extent as I don’t think anyone would fault him for taking a chance, if you can even call it, on one of the greatest QBs of all time who would arrive in town with a red-hot desire to win a ring. 

When we signed Peyton I heard countless times how “he’s one hit away from being done and Elway looking like a fool” and in four years we went to the Super Bowl twice. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I remember taking a shot at you when you said you would turn on Paton.  Can't remember exactly why but it was in relation to the draft and your comment was predraft and wanting Paton to go a certain route, your route.  Well I have kind of soured on Paton already after not taking Justin so my apologies.  But I like Teddy and am praying ever so for Lock to turn it around.  Yes I am quite the fool. 

Anyway as per Ian Rappaport Rogers is supposedly playing this year out in Green Bay and with no increase in pay.  Go to nfl.com for a couple related stories.   Seems this thread is coming to an end.  This leaves me dumbfounded really, like wtf was it all for.  I'm sure they agreed to let him walk after the year is over but who knows and now I have to go back praying and hoping that Lock or Teddy rock out.  PS I think Teddy does alright in Denver but we are a 9-10 win team drafting in the middle of nowhere and still fn needing a qb!! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, anewdawn said:

I remember taking a shot at you when you said you would turn on Paton.  Can't remember exactly why but it was in relation to the draft and your comment was predraft and wanting Paton to go a certain route, your route.  Well I have kind of soured on Paton already after not taking Justin so my apologies.  But I like Teddy and am praying ever so for Lock to turn it around.  Yes I am quite the fool. 

Anyway as per Ian Rappaport Rogers is supposedly playing this year out in Green Bay and with no increase in pay.  Go to nfl.com for a couple related stories.   Seems this thread is coming to an end.  This leaves me dumbfounded really, like wtf was it all for.  I'm sure they agreed to let him walk after the year is over but who knows and now I have to go back praying and hoping that Lock or Teddy rock out.  PS I think Teddy does alright in Denver but we are a 9-10 win team drafting in the middle of nowhere and still fn needing a qb!! 

I heard the NFLN report. 

My thinking is, and I’ve said this before, that unless Lock blows things away Vic  will go with the safe, reliable vet with Teddy in an effort to keep his job. I hate that. I think you start Lock barring a complete collapse in camp/preseason and if he falls apart go with Teddy. 

This is just really depressing if the Rodgers news is true (and, as I type this Adam “put on another mask” Schefter is reporting a new contract for Rodgers which will release him in 2022). I’m already looking forward to 2022 with a new owner and new coach. 

• Like 1

I disagree to an extent as I don’t think anyone would fault him for taking a chance, if you can even call it, on one of the greatest QBs of all time who would arrive in town with a red-hot desire to win a ring. 

When we signed Peyton I heard countless times how “he’s one hit away from being done and Elway looking like a fool” and in four years we went to the Super Bowl twice. 

To an extent you have a point but he'd still only have one shot through the draft after that to get qb right and not all fans would care about his efforts. I like his approach that's a lot of draft capital and resources. Rodgers is a great one but you never know with injuries.

I heard the NFLN report. 

My thinking is, and I’ve said this before, that unless Lock blows things away Vic  will go with the safe, reliable vet with Teddy in an effort to keep his job. I hate that. I think you start Lock barring a complete collapse in camp/preseason and if he falls apart go with Teddy. 

This is just really depressing if the Rodgers news is true (and, as I type this Adam “put on another mask” Schefter is reporting a new contract for Rodgers which will release him in 2022). I’m already looking forward to 2022 with a new owner and new coach. 

I don't agree. They're going to ride with Lock. Unless he is absolutely atrocious in camp, the job is his. Teddy was brought in as injury protection so there's still an outside chance at a playoff berth if Lock goes down. 

I think it's very, very possible Rodgers ends up in Denver next year. I'm not going to say it's "likely" per se, but if he's still with Shailene, it makes a ton of sense that he'd want to be in Denver, plus the young core will have had another year. It's also more palatable for Denver to pursue him because there's no draft compensation involved. That's big.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

I don't agree. They're going to ride with Lock. Unless he is absolutely atrocious in camp, the job is his. Teddy was brought in as injury protection so there's still an outside chance at a playoff berth if Lock goes down. 

I think it's very, very possible Rodgers ends up in Denver next year. I'm not going to say it's "likely" per se, but if he's still with Shailene, it makes a ton of sense that he'd want to be in Denver, plus the young core will have had another year. It's also more palatable for Denver to pursue him because there's no draft compensation involved. That's big.

Especially if it is obvious by the end of the season that the missing piece to this team is the QB like when the Broncos Manning to replace Tebow.  

2 hours ago, broncos67 said:

Obviously we’ll have to see how camp and the preseason go, but from what I’m hearing/reading from most of the best guys is that they’re all expecting Vic to go with Teddy. 

If we go with Lock, which could happen I suppose, I’ll have at least a small measure of excitement for the season as his (and thus the team’s) ceiling is much higher. 

Maybe it’s just the disappointment in losing out on Aaron (for now) but I haven’t been this as unenthused for a Broncos season in my 39 years as a fan. 

I personally think the plan is to start Lock. Not only does he give us the highest chance of winning IMO, we get a chance at developing an asset. They say Teddy was brought in for competition, I've never heard/thought it was to replace Lock, only to make HIM better. Now given we will have a shot to trade for AR12,  developing Lock into a better trade asset seems logical as we are more than likely to include him as part of the package for Rodgers

Slightly disappointing news on Rodgers, but not surprising. In a way this can still be beneficial to us. It’s Lock’s third season and he will have an  actual offseason under his belt this time. Under those conditions, if he can’t manage to beat out Teddy Bridgwater, then clearly he isn’t the guy and we will have our answer on him. Then next year, we can go after Rodgers with everything we’ve got. Just in time for all of our major skill players on offense to be hitting their primes. 

10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Maybe it’s just the disappointment in losing out on Aaron (for now) but I haven’t been this as unenthused for a Broncos season in my 39 years as a fan. 

I find that interesting. I'm exactly on the other end of the spectrum. I'm more excited about this team than I have been for decades.

Even being pessimistic I think our D, OL and offensive skill positions are all top 10 units with a chance to be much better, top 5 being very possible. We're also deeper than we've been in maybe ever and it's quality depth. If we can get even average QB play ( 2 to 1 TD/Int, 65% completion, 7 YPA) we could be in the hunt. 

Basically, any team that can field a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense has a good chance to win it all. As balanced, strong and deep as we are I'm all fired up about the season.

I'd guess that by mid season thoughts of Rodgers will be forgotten.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I find that interesting. I'm exactly on the other end of the spectrum. I'm more excited about this team than I have been for decades.

Even being pessimistic I think our D, OL and offensive skill positions are all top 10 units with a chance to be much better, top 5 being very possible. We're also deeper than we've been in maybe ever and it's quality depth. If we can get even average QB play ( 2 to 1 TD/Int, 65% completion, 7 YPA) we could be in the hunt. 

Basically, any team that can field a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense has a good chance to win it all. As balanced, strong and deep as we are I'm all fired up about the season.

I'd guess that by mid season thoughts of Rodgers will be forgotten.

I thin there is some QB fatigue.  Every year it's the same question, will we ever get QBOTF?  I am just hoping that Lock can come around to fill that void.  This is the first time since 2017 he has worked with the same offensive QB in consecutive years.  Hopefully this, along with the work with Manning helps.  

• Like 1