What to do at QB?

AnAngryAmerican

What is your preference for the QB spot?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference for the QB spot?

• Keep Drew Lock as the starter for 2021
    • Draft a rookie in the 1st round and make him the starter
    • Trade for/sign an established vet (Stafford, Wentz, Ryan)
    • Trade for/sign a journeyman vet (Fitz, Tyrod) to compete with Lock

3 minutes ago, rcpbawler said:

I'm not exactly stoked about rolling into the season with a teddy b/lock combo but spinning the roulette wheel on another 2nd/3rd round QB would make me question the Paton hiring before his first NFL game. 

They have to take a QB at some point - we need to keep throwing darts until we hit one. The problem is that the deeper you go into the draft that farther away you are throwing the darts from and its much harder to hit a bullseye.

If the Rodgers trade happens it won't before 2 June - the cap hit for this year for GB is $38million - a post 2 June trade means that this years hit for GB is $14million with $17million pushed to 2022.

The only - only - justification for not taking Fields that I can see is that a deal for Rodgers is effectively done and they didn't want Rodgers to back out because he wants to be undisputed for however long he plays (and he has 3 years left on the deal with a $26-$28million cap hit each year) - just like he wants out of GB after they drafted Love.

Just now, broncosfan_101 said:

I will be *livid* if Paton drafts a QB today. If you need, or even just want a QB, and you passed on Fields?? Nope

QB better damn sure be off the table today.

Mond is absolute trash, trask's name is almost trash and Davis Mills sounds like someone who's father owns a cereal company and is probably dogtrash himself. 

Pls don't draft QB pls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

They have to take a QB at some point - we need to keep throwing darts until we hit one. The problem is that the deeper you go into the draft that farther away you are throwing the darts from and its much harder to hit a bullseye.

Yeah but drafting fourth/fifth tier quarterbacks is like throwing darts at a board with a microscopic bullseye. It almost never works. I'd rather gamble me second and third round picks elsewhere

4 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

I love xs and os... This video made me very happy.  After reviewing this video I think jenkins elumintes why we picked up Teddy and how he fits on several levels.   I also think he validated what I think Lock needs to be working on this offseason.  I think Lock was lucky to get out of the huddle last year with the play called correctly and understand his reads... let alone understand how to influence the defence into being at a disadvantage within the concept of the play...

So yeah this helps me understand why Paton said, "We like what we have in Drew but we want to bring in competition, but it needs to be the right guy."  I think Paton had Teddy in mind when he said this and this video helps me understand that better... 

I think this is going to be any interesting story and I think both of these QBs will be successful next year.  Lock, if he can get his head into the full concept of these plays and Teddy if he can find that other gear and become a threat.  I think Teddy has what Lock lacks and Lock has what Teddy needs...  These kind of details are simply not understood by average fans and certainly not by the national media...  Good stuff... I feel like I understand our QB situation much better now...  and I learned something new today! 

Big thanks:)

/respect

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, ClockWorkOrange said:

I also think he validated what I think Lock needs to be working on this offseason.  I think Lock was lucky to get out of the huddle last year with the play called correctly and understand his reads... let alone understand how to influence the defence into being at a disadvantage within the concept of the play...

Unfortunately, to me, the video demonstrates how far from being a competent QB Lock is. Jenkins pointed out repeatedly that Lock is in the wrong stance before the centre even snaps the ball - and that throws everything he does from there out of whack. If you look at Teddy - he is in the correct stance and as a result his dropbacks are in sync with what he is doing with the ball.

It should take a QB with aspirations to play in the NFL two seasons before he corrects his stance pre-snap.

The video also demonstrates that after two years in the NFL Lock still does not align his hips and shoulders in line with the intended trajectory of the ball - again something else that should not take so long to correct. It suggests that no matter what else he does, Lock is incapable of correcting basic fundamentals that are very important to how a QB plays the game. You can get away with it in college - in the NFL it means that you cannot become even a competent QB.

While Lock has shown flashes of what he is capable of - there are so many simple fundamental flaws in his game that it is very difficult to see him correct them. If you look at the analysis of Fields by Jenkins - and there are flaws that have to be corrected - but even as a college QB Fields demonstrates better fundamentals than Lock after two years in the NFL in terms of both of the above issues.

12 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Unfortunately, to me, the video demonstrates how far from being a competent QB Lock is. Jenkins pointed out repeatedly that Lock is in the wrong stance before the centre even snaps the ball - and that throws everything he does from there out of whack. If you look at Teddy - he is in the correct stance and as a result his dropbacks are in sync with what he is doing with the ball.

It should take a QB with aspirations to play in the NFL two seasons before he corrects his stance pre-snap.

The video also demonstrates that after two years in the NFL Lock still does not align his hips and shoulders in line with the intended trajectory of the ball - again something else that should not take so long to correct. It suggests that no matter what else he does, Lock is incapable of correcting basic fundamentals that are very important to how a QB plays the game. You can get away with it in college - in the NFL it means that you cannot become even a competent QB.

While Lock has shown flashes of what he is capable of - there are so many simple fundamental flaws in his game that it is very difficult to see him correct them. If you look at the analysis of Fields by Jenkins - and there are flaws that have to be corrected - but even as a college QB Fields demonstrates better fundamentals than Lock after two years in the NFL in terms of both of the above issues.

I hear you but the kid was on his 6th start, in a new system, with no offseason to speak of due to covid....  That alone seems impossible to overcome.  Just breaking the huddle and making sure everyone was in the right formation was a challenge... Then you add a rookie center, a Rt that opts out, and Glassgow going down... and man... How could you expect him to be processing the defensive shell, mike assignments, and understanding the read option trees?  I think we have to add that context to the equation before losing hope.  I mean in the other Jenkins video, he demonstrated how well Lock was adapting and growing later in the year... Lock has all the talent in the world and he has Payton Manning working with him on all of those details he was lacking last year. 

With this full offseason in front of him still, he could come out ten steps from where he left off last year and I think he was coming into his own already.  Take heart my friend.  I think our QB situation is going to be very good and Lock has a chance of having comeback player of the year kind of season.  His first task will be to win the job however, and I think that will be the most difficult thing he will face this coming year.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ClockWorkOrange said:

Actually I love that model... Focus on building team depth with layers of OL talent, offensive weapons, defensive dominance (my fav), save the picks for BPA and trade back BPA to do all that..., and then leave the lights on for veteran QBs that are tired of having to pick themselves up after every play, starting the drive from their own 15, and not having weapons to throw to...   I think you are on to something there:).  In contrast, I would hate to be SF right now needing to build a team without 3 firsts and a 3rd just so I can groom a QB for two years from now who will then have a depleted team around him...

I have seriously missed your pragmatic posts.

• Like 4

Yeah, leaving the Rodgers stuff aside (and I think that's still very much in play), Teddy is the kind of QB who is going to be hard to beat out in camp. Timing, accuracy, command of the huddle. These are all his strengths and some of Drew's weaknesses. And they matter a lot more in a camp setting than raw playmaking ability, which would be Drew's advantage. 

22 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Yeah, leaving the Rodgers stuff aside (and I think that's still very much in play), Teddy is the kind of QB who is going to be hard to beat out in camp. Timing, accuracy, command of the huddle. These are all his strengths and some of Drew's weaknesses. And they matter a lot more in a camp setting than raw playmaking ability, which would be Drew's advantage. 

And starting Bridgewater, especially in week 1, would just be waiving the white flag for the 2021 season IMO. Drew still has a much, much higher upside. I think you have to start week 1 with Drew and see if he has made strides from last year. If he looks like the Drew we saw for most of last year, then, yeah, make the change at the bye and start scouting QB prospects for the 2022 draft.  

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I will be *livid* if Paton drafts a QB today. If you need, or even just want a QB, and you passed on Fields?? Nope

I think they're set at QB. Rypien's our 3rd and his value is his understanding of the offense. He'll be invaluable to Bridge and Lock. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If you need QB badly enough to take a guy on Day 2 - you sure as **** don't pass on a Rd1 talent that falls on your lap.   The hit rates with Rd2-3 are ultra-low.    And in this class, the gap between Fields and the Monds/Trask/Mills tier is insane.

I'm willing to give Paton a LOT of leash especially since there are other balls in the air (A-Rod, Watson, Wilson next offseason) - but going QB Day 2 would be an instant sign that Paton mis-stepped last night.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jolly red giant said:

The only - only - justification for not taking Fields that I can see is that a deal for Rodgers is effectively done and they didn't want Rodgers to back out because he wants to be undisputed for however long he plays (and he has 3 years left on the deal with a $26-$28million cap hit each year) - just like he wants out of GB after they drafted Love.

I've got another. The pros don't think as highly of Fields as the fans do.

• Like 2

I've got another. The pros don't think as highly of Fields as the fans do.

Ya, I have a feeling that there are some leadership issues there. If Fields had the personality of Teddy, he would be a top 3 pick IMO. Even his reaction when drafted by CHI seemed, odd. 

19 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

And starting Bridgewater, especially in week 1, would just be waiving the white flag for the 2021 season IMO. Drew still has a much, much higher upside. I think you have to start week 1 with Drew and see if he has made strides from last year. If he looks like the Drew we saw for most of last year, then, yeah, make the change at the bye and start scouting QB prospects for the 2022 draft.  

The higher floor is why I think Fangio will want to start Bridgewater. If this defense is top 5, which it should be, and the young offensive guys come along, Teddy can guide this roster to 10-7 or 11-6 range. There’s less upside there but no risk of things cratering either. 

It’s very unlikely with either QB that this team is a contender but there’s less variance with Teddy. 

Really though, just get Aaron Rodgers. 

• Like 1