What would it take for Jags to trade out of 1st pick and who could do it?

Vladimir L

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Are we going to get these threads every couple days until April?

Why not daily?

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Just like Burrow did to CIN, Baker did to CLE, etc...huh?

Those are outliers that happened 20 years ago.

The league was a lot different back then, too. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Hasn't Watson already been in the league 4 years?  He's great, but he is also older, and Lawrence doesn't have the miles on the clock.  

KeyShamelessGerenuk-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Who the hell knows if we'll win a SB, but it's been proven having a QB while still being on a rookie contract increases your chances. Having $40M allocated to one player hinders what you can do elsewhere. 

It would be nice if you folks had a more established team, right now. At least whoever comes in will have some money to work with...

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

It would be nice if you folks had a more established team, right now. At least whoever comes in will have some money to work with...

I mean, you have Chark and James Robinson who are legit weapons. The OL is an established unit as well. Jawaan Taylor is the only real question mark (he's had a rough sophomore campaign). The rest are vets/have been in the league for several years and proven to be at the very least average/competent.

Usually a rookie QB taken in the top 5-10 is thrusted into a bad situation. There's worry about getting "ruined" whether it's a leaky OL or no skill position players worth a damn. Can't say I see that being the case here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Gotta love the armchair GMs in this thread who'd refuse Watson for Lawrence because of his "cap hit." 😀

Aren't all of us in this thread, regardless of stance, armchair GMs?

Moreover, aren't you, by that very post, acting as one as well? Gotta love the irony there. 

• Like 4

The way I see it, the opportunity to get a great quarterback doesn't come along very often, so when it does, you have to take it.  Nobody is saying there isn't a bust potential.  There will always be that risk with any draft prospect.  The value of Trevor Lawrence is that most of the expects believe his ceiling is very high and so is his floor.  People can throw draft picks at you to trade out of getting him, but to me that just doesn't make sense.  There will always be more draft picks.  There is no guarantee you will ever be in a position again to get a prospect this good.  What I would do is get the quarterback now, and build the rest of the team later.  You can always find players at other positions.

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:
6 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

So was Stephen Strasburg. So was Bryce Harper, so was Andrew Wiggins, so was Andrew Luck etc etc. Just because they are hyped up like that doesn’t mean they are going to me all time greats. I don’t think Lawrence is Lebron James or Sydney Crosby tbh. Just don’t see it. I’d probably have taken Luck over him as a prospect. And luck was fantastic, but was he really better than Watson is now? It’s close, and not worth the risk vs the proven reward.

Uhh Nats fan here. Save for the injuries Strasburg has been pretty amazing. It’s not his fault his teammate keeps winning the Cy Young. Without Stras we don’t win the World Series. Harper is a great player even if Soto is better lol

Right but his point still stands.  Neither of those guys became the best in the sport or even all that close.  But nobody could call them a bust/disappointment.  

Similarly, Lawrence may be the best QB prospect in however many years but that doesn't mean he's going to be the best QB in the NFL.  Or even the third or fourth best, like Watson probably is right now.  

I would take Watson over Lawrence in a heartbeat but I'm a big fan of Deshaun Watson.

With that being said for the Jags (or the Texans for that matter) you might rather have Lawrence anyway.  Watson is still really young but those teams aren't likely to compete for another 2-3 years.  Would you rather be starting your title run with a 24 year old on a rookie deal or a 28 year old on a mega contract?  Either is a good problem to have but as a rebuilding team you probably go with the younger cheaper guy.

For a team with a realistically chance of competing the next couple of years you'd take Watson in a second.

• Like 1