Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

Well, your team played to win last year and you ended up with Andrew Thomas instead of Chase Young. Not trying to be a jerk either dude but there was literally no point in the Eagles winning. 

I'd honestly understand if they were moving up from #2 to #1 and securing a coveted prospect like Trevor Lawrence.  But to move from #9 to #6?  Really?

5 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Didn't watch the game, but saw the stats and Hurts was 7/20. Why is it controversial that he got pulled? 

Hurts probably isn't the long term answer for the Eagles either, but Sudfeld isn't an NFL starter.  Pederson didn't need to put him into the game to find out what we already knew

I didn't think he should have been pulled either, but honestly I didn't view it as an obvious tank job. Hurts' effectiveness was practically nil as the game wore on. They'd gotten like 50 yards total since their TD in the 2nd quarter. Maybe a dumb move to pull him, but I wasn't thinking "They're tanking!" when he did it.

7 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

You can’t really be this thick are you?

Being thick? Your team took away its best chance to win and somehow them doing this before the game is better for the spirit of the game lol. “He wanted to rest his starters” like this is somehow better than benching a guy who had a 25 passer rating and 70 yards through the air with an interception through three quarters. 

1 minute ago, kramxel said:

I didn't watch the game and don't know the full context, but unless they had 10 drops, 7/20 isn't "playing fine". 

7/20

He was fine in the sense that he kept Philly in the game and gave them a chance to win in a low scoring ballgame. He kept a number of drives alive with his mobility and rushing ability. He was the chief offensive catalyst. The passing numbers don’t tell the whole story. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Being thick? Your team took away its best chance to win and somehow them doing this before the game is better for the spirit of the game lol. “He wanted to rest his starters” like this is somehow better than benching a guy who had a 25 passer rating and 70 yards through the air with an interception through three quarters. 

Teams have rested starters before playoffs for decades, you can’t act like this isn’t a common NFL practice.

I feel bad for Hurts. No, he wasn't having a great game last night but he's clearly better than Sudfeld and part of being a young QB is getting to work through your mistakes and learn from them. Based on his reaction on the sidelines, this also wasn't some plan that Jalen was in on the whole time. 

There's obvious logic to tanking so what Pedersen did isn't crazy, but it's also not a move made by a coach who feels any level of commitment or investment in developing the young QB they're benching. Hurts has gotta be wondering whether he's gonna get a fair shot at being the guy in Philly right now. 

1 minute ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I feel bad for Hurts. No, he wasn't having a great game last night but he's clearly better than Sudfeld and part of being a young QB is getting to work through your mistakes and learn from them. Based on his reaction on the sidelines, this also wasn't some plan that Jalen was in on the whole time. 

There's obvious logic to tanking so what Pedersen did isn't crazy, but it's also not a move made by a coach who feels any level of commitment or investment in developing the young QB they're benching. Hurts has gotta be wondering whether he's gonna get a fair shot at being the guy in Philly right now. 

The Eagles more than any team in the league need to fire everyone in a position of power, clean house and move on. They collectively let the praise from the SB run get to their head and have botched pretty much every decision since.

I think if you're depending on Philly to win a game just so you get into the playoffs, you probably aren't going to do anything once in you're in the playoffs anyway.

How exactly would the NFL step in and stop tanking?  I think the NFL is a little TOO involved in the games already.  Coaches need absolute autonomy in what happens on the field imo.  Do you have a suggestion that wouldn't make a big mess?

In a perfect world horrible teams with losing records wouldn't get playoff berths at all.

8 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Hurts has gotta be wondering whether he's gonna get a fair shot at being the guy in Philly right now. 

The Eagles would have to eat like 90 million dollars if they tossed Wentz.  If Hurts is named starter, that's still 90 million dollars riding the pinewood.   It's...not a good situation for anyone.

In a perfect world Hurts would probably get the starting job, because the team clearly plays better with him and Wentz has just imploded as a quarterback.  But this is a business and I think the financials are going to dictate how this situation plays out. 

If Wentz cared about the team, he would agree to massively restructure his contract.  But we already know he's a bad teammate, so that won't happen.  

IDK, maybe someone can give credit to WFT defense possibly?

0-points allowed...again in the 2nd half.

You know, WFT does have the #4 defense in the NFL.

And Peterson going for it on 4th & 5, instead of kicking the FG was not tanking.

It's called new age stupid aggressive coaching that is done way more often now, then playing smart.

Even Rivera is guilty of that in the first Giants matchup.

At the end of the game, we score & an extra pt tied the game sending it to overtime.

Rivera goes for 2 & we fail & lose the game. 

Was Rivera tanking then?

Yea, I don't think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

Didn't watch the game, but saw the stats and Hurts was 7/20. Why is it controversial that he got pulled? 

They were down 6 and Hurts had scored their only points by rushing for 2 tugs. 

The Eagles were bad as a group on offence but it felt like they scapegoated Hurts who was the only one producing (not very well but the numbers weren’t coming from anyone else either) when really they just aren’t a very good team.