Has there ever been a more transparent tank job?

SmittyBacall

6 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Random thing:

I don't mind people that say the NYG should have won one more game if they wanted to avoid this.  That's fair game.  As for the 'can't whine when you are 6-10', that can be left at the doorstep.  It's not their problem that 6-10 means they had a chance to make the playoffs and their division was that bad.

Yeah but what's the difference if it's 6-10 or 10-6? 10-6 Giants got left out in a relatively recent year as well. Tanking is tanking. The coach and the GM took the game away from the organization and the fans. Are they going to land a HoFer with the 6th pick? Why even let Howie make that pick at this point? The coach can lose the team this offseason and Howie needs to go with him. I was completely on board with both of them back for another year but this incident undoes everything. Promote people from within.

I say they go to a  lottery. Just like the NBA. That way we can watch 90% of the teams tank. I love it. I route for the team that pull it off with style and imagination. GMAFB!

Who cares if they have the 6th or 9th they still have to pick the right player. Do you know how many bust happen in the top 10.

The Eagles pick Carson Wentz !!!!!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

... Or maybe both Wilson and Pederson were just trying to do right by members of their team with hitting incentives and/or auditioning them across the league or play an NFL game for their first time in two seasons. In Wilson’s case it was the QB’s coach who proposed the idea to him. Pederson used to himself be both a backup QB and QB’s coach. Very likely he made this decision less to tank, but more to help Sudfield out, be it emotionally/mentally (play an NFL game) or financially (performance bonuses hit).

What is with the false equivalencies on this topic? I've seen multiple people compare this Eagles situation to playoff teams sitting their starters in week 17, and now comparing it to getting David Moore an extra catch to hit an incentive mark. These are not the same at all.

Joe Judge and Jason Kelce both very eloquently made the correct points when it comes to this Eagles game. Pederson knowingly and obviously removed their best chance to win the game. Whether he did that to intentionally tank (doubtful) or to 'get a look at' Sudfeld (much more likely) doesn't matter; he still put the teams' best interests, winning, on the backburner to look ahead to the future.

Overall, it was probably a savvy coaching move on paper. Guarantee the loss for a higher draft pick in a year where you may need a QB. However, Eagles players are pissed about this, as they should be. Coaches and players around the league are pissed about it as well, as they have the right to be. This season ultimately shouldn't have happened. Judge made a great point by saying that players opted in to this year; they and their families sacrificed a whole lot to be able to play. Most teams only had 16 games. You need to make the most of every opportunity, and a head coach owes it to his team to put them in the best position to win at all times. Pederson didn't do that on primetime. Say what you want about this being the right move on paper, but teams that win superbowls and have sustained success have a head coach whose vision the players buy into, and they have a winning culture. Doug Pederson hurt himself in both of those areas with this move. Maybe not a lot, but definitely to some extent.

EDIT: I also want to point out that the Lovie Smith Bucs tank job a few years ago was much more transparent. He got the first overall pick, but he was fired shortly after and the Bucs have done nothing since then until this year, when their entire roster and coaching staff has turned over.

Edited by minutemancl
  • Like 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/report-many-eagles-players-and-coaches-were-shocked-and-outraged-by-removal-of-jalen-hurts/

Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that “many Eagles players and coaches were shocked and outraged” by the decision to remove quarterback Jalen Hurts for Nate Sudfeld in the second half of the Week 17 game.

Per the report, two defensive players “had to be held back” from confronting coach Doug Pederson. McLane also reports that center Jason Kelce (pictured) and another offensive starter approach Pederson for an explanation as to the move.

Is moving up 3 spots worth the drama and headache this move has caused? Its not the first or last time a team will tank, but the specific optics on this look horrible

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/05/report-many-eagles-players-and-coaches-were-shocked-and-outraged-by-removal-of-jalen-hurts/

Is moving up 3 spots worth the drama and headache this move has caused? Its not the first or last time a team will tank, but the specific optics on this look horrible

It's almost a good thing the Eagles need total roster turnover to get under the salary cap, as they won't have any success with this roster under Pederson again, regardless of how good/bad the actual players are. NFL players are some of the most prideful and competitive around. They aren't going to overlook this.

Reports are rampant that quarterback Carson Wentz won't be active and that Nate Sudfeld will play the second half. We'll see how that looks when the Eagles release the inactive list 90 minutes before kickoff.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/tonight-a-finale-to-say-goodbye-to-a-bummer-of-a-2020-eagles-season

This was posted on their website 1/3/2021 @ 1:37 PM - why anybody is surprised this happened is beyond me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Judge cracks me up. Win more than 6 games. 

This is probably going to come across as a homer defending his team's head coach, but please listen to the entire answer Judge gave. He was earnest and 100% correct on everything he said. He also touched on the 'win more than 6 games' point; he obviously made it known to the team that they needed to be better. They did not take advantage of all 16 opportunities they had. The Eagles tanking was an entirely different subject. Judge took it personally that an NFL head coach would betray his players and purposefully not put them in the best position to win a game. 

• Like 1

Eagles have lost the locker room but I guess they don’t really care and want to blow the whole thing up and start anew. 

I’m not frothing at the mouth over it even though I think it’s super lame and a bad look on your franchise, I’m mainly ticked because as a neutral fan I wanted a nice duster to close out the season and instead got a team just straight up packing it in 45 minutes early.

8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

How?  It's not like all contract details are made public.  Nick Foles, for example,  has classified incentives included in his contract that would allow him to opt-out this season but only IF those conditions are met, and he signed with the Bears MONTHS ago and nobody still knows exactly what those are.  

So no, we would not have heard about it by now.

Yes, we would have.

We heard about Antonio Brown's incentives. We heard about David Moore's incentives. This information came out for other players. 

The eagles are getting blasted by the media and by a lot of fans out there. If there was incentives for Nate that were achieved by his horrendous performance, we would have heard about it.

Lets stop making this part of some larger conspiracy. This was very simple. It was the eagles tanking. Thats it. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Eagles have lost the locker room but I guess they don’t really care and want to blow the whole thing up and start anew. 

I’m not frothing at the mouth over it even though I think it’s super lame and a bad look on your franchise, I’m mainly ticked because as a neutral fan I wanted a nice duster to close out the season and instead got a team just straight up packing it in 45 minutes early.

I would argue had they actually packed it in after the first quarter (maybe you mean 45 minutes real time) it would be less controversial.  They were seemingly actively trying to win until the 4th quarter. Had they put in Sudfeld after the first, or even the second quarter, they never would’ve given hope to giants fans and people who wanted a competitive divisional game to end the season.

In a cynical view, the Eagles just helped the Giants draft pick way more than their own. May be tough to swallow in the moment, but I know in hindsight I wish the Eagles missed the playoffs last year and had Ceedee Lamb instead of Jalen Reagor. (Yes I know they could’ve had Jefferson, but they reportedly had Lamb ranked significantly ahead of both).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

I wonder how this makes Nate feel - his friends don't want to play with him :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAF-N72EX said:

And not all of them. So, no, it would not have. 

what a compelling argument you make 

you have just convinced me

sudfeld must have made 10,000,000 for completing one pass 

good guy eagles just wanted to make sure he got paid

thats so nice of them

this is now the most heartwarming story of the year

incredible!!!!1!!1